IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shifty Eyes, Questions about Regeneration and daily life Problems.
Stahlseele
post Nov 19 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #1

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

OK, disclaimer first.
I AM NOT LIABLE FOR STUFF MY BRAIN TENDS TO PONDER WHILE MY CONSCIOUSNESS IS OUT DOING GODS KNOW WHAT!

OK, so this is something that came to my, when i fell asleep in the bathtub after having read a shadowrun novel dealing a bit with shifters and stuff.
so Regeneration.
How far does it go?
How deep does it go?
There are several ways to get regeneration in Shadowrun.
We know there might be females with regeneration.
So, one of those, let's make it a shifter for ease of use, has sex. Gets her cherry popped.
And now what happens? Does regeneration jump in? Does it mend what's broken again?
Does she get to "enjoy" it all again when going at it next time?
Also, how fast does this happen? It would give "caught in the act" a completely new meaning.
And it would lead to some interesting Problems for continuation of the family line for them too.

Now something a bit more harmless:
HAIR! Does it regenerate? Do shifters have to use silver blades for getting a haircut and a shave while in metahuman form?

*wanders of to seek shelter in a vault somewhere*
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Nov 19 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,047

This was covered in the TV series True Blood, which boils down to it being a ahem, slitch of a time.

For acedemic endevour I applaud you fever to know. The disclaimer does not protect you from the vault needed to be padded. At the end of the day what ever works for your game.

And no, hair is dead with the exception of the folical, so would not regenerate per say.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 19 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

This is not for a game. This is just something my brain came up with while i was sleeping <.<
In my dream, the female shifter complained about how having to have her cherry popped every time bothered her and she started pouting and refused to have sex again and started eating random people and her partner trying to find silver condoms or something like that . .

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Nov 19 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

LOL! yeah, if you go the True Blood route, it grows back again. Unless you get a silver condom or whatever hurts the shifter to "scar" down there for good.
Another option, is the Species route, where the hot-blonde-alien-creature (whose code name can't recall), conciously regenerates, which means she must be aware of the wound and will it to "heal". of course, once a creature passes out, it won't regenerate until it is awaken.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 19 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

My guess would be "no" because a female's "cherry" doesn't 'heal' back up naturally over any length of time. The way I've always understood it is that regeneration is just very fast healing. Regeneration does not for example seem to provide the ability to regrow a lost limb (It is never mentioned, and something that significant seems as though it should be mentioned if possible.)

So no, once she is no longer a virgin, she doesn't go back to being a virgin thanks to regeneration.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 19 2009, 08:17 PM
Post #6

The ShadowComedian

Well, in the FLUFF lost Limbs do indeed grow back.
Also, remember that regeneration is a magical ability.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 19 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 19 2009, 03:17 PM) *
Well, in the FLUFF lost Limbs do indeed grow back.
Also, remember that regeneration is a magical ability.

Where in the fluff? No where under the regeneration power description does it mention regrowing a limb. It only mentions removing boxes of damage.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 19 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

The novels for example.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Nov 19 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #9

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 19 2009, 03:14 PM) *
My guess would be "no" because a female's "cherry" doesn't 'heal' back up naturally over any length of time. The way I've always understood it is that regeneration is just very fast healing. Regeneration does not for example seem to provide the ability to regrow a lost limb (It is never mentioned, and something that significant seems as though it should be mentioned if possible.)

So no, once she is no longer a virgin, she doesn't go back to being a virgin thanks to regeneration.

But the 'damage' in question is not equivalent to a lost limb. It is a torn membrane, which is equivalent to a deep cut in the skin. That does heal, no?

Just a thought: In terms of it never healing on its own, is that because it won't heal, or because the same causal factor happens often enough during the initial healing process that it heals in a disrupted form? So, if a woman's hymen broke, but she did not have intercourse again for 6 months, would it heal into a barrier again, or would the healing be prevented because of some natural cause, I don't know, maybe the hymen is a stretched membrane and as such withdraws from itself upon disruption?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 19 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

What about Tattoos and the such?

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 19 2009, 08:38 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

I don't think the novels count as fluff for the actual rules

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 19 2009, 03:25 PM) *
But the 'damage' in question is not equivalent to a lost limb. It is a torn membrane, which is equivalent to a deep cut in the skin. That does heal, no?

Just a thought: In terms of it never healing on its own, is that because it won't heal, or because the same causal factor happens often enough during the initial healing process that it heals in a disrupted form? So, if a woman's hymen broke, but she did not have intercourse again for 6 months, would it heal into a barrier again, or would the healing be prevented because of some natural cause, I don't know, maybe the hymen is a stretched membrane and as such withdraws from itself upon disruption?

No, I'm quite certain that once not a virgin, always not a virgin. If it is broken it will not heal on its own. Sort of like if your arm is cut off, the arm won't simply grow back no matter how long you remain without an arm. I mean an arm being cut off it just like a -really- big cut isn't it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Now, if regeneration did grow back limbs (Which nothing in any of the actual rulebooks supports in the slightest that I've seen) then there might be some argument, but so long as it doesn't do that, it is just very quick healing.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 19 2009, 08:40 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 19 2009, 03:35 PM) *
What about Tattoos and the such?

They would also stay, because once again, the body doesn't naturally heal a tattoo.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 19 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #13

The ShadowComedian

There's geckos that throw off their tail and it regrows.
and i think a bit of that also applies to certain spiders and snakes each time they shrug off their old skin too.
Furthermore, in SR3 where there was still REAL damage, even Serious Damage simply went away with Regeneration.
And Serious Damage was more or less describes as the loss of a Limb i think.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 19 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 19 2009, 03:43 PM) *
There's geckos that throw off their tail and it regrows.
and i think a bit of that also applies to certain spiders and snakes each time they shrug off their old skin too.
Furthermore, in SR3 where there was still REAL damage, even Serious Damage simply went away with Regeneration.
And Serious Damage was more or less describes as the loss of a Limb i think.

But shifters are not geckos, or spiders, or snakes.

Snakes do not undergo regeneration. Snakes actually simply grow skin in very much the same way we humans do, they just loose their old skin all at once instead of slowly in minute pieces like humans (and other mammals). I'm not sure about spiders, never heard of them regenerating anything.

Many reptiles do have a form of 'regeneration' that does allow them to regrow lost limbs, but it is important to note that the new limb will -never- be as good as the old limb. Mostly this happens for tails, which has evolved as a defense mechanism. The tail pops off and wriggles around, predator goes for tail while reptile gets away to grow a new (smaller) tail.

There is certainly the argument that things that we call regeneration can regrow limbs, but there is no argument that the regeneration power as described in the books (Which is entirely different from any other form of regeneration) can restore a limb.

And as I recall, Serious Damage was described as being a level of damage like that of having lost a limb (I think it was deadly actually, not serious) but having that level of damage doesn't mean that you necessarily lost a limb. And that level of damage you could naturally heal from, so of course regeneration would let you heal from it.

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Nov 20 2009, 07:01 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,693

QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 19 2009, 09:40 PM) *
They would also stay, because once again, the body doesn't naturally heal a tattoo.

Not necessarily. Does the body naturally heal cyberware or bioware implants ? No, but a regenerating being reject them unless specifically (and expensively !) custom-deisgned.

So for a tatoo to stay you probably need a specialy and individually formulated ink - a "Deltaware tatoo"

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Nov 20 2009, 08:19 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 15,912

QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 19 2009, 01:40 PM) *

The body also doesn't forcefully eject cyberware either, so I think your comparison is not 100% accurate.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Nov 20 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #17

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

The outer layer of skin probably would also not heal (leaving pink or red marks where wounds were) as that was not dead. I *believe* the hymen is mostly connected by skin (which is dead), but it's not like I checked.

Also worth asking whether the given animal has a hymen at all. A woman made into a vampire after the hymen has already been broken likely will not regrow the hymen, just like old people vampires don't suddenly grow younger. lycanthropes are technically animals, not humans, and the human aspect is basically a clever disguise. Most animals don't have hymens. It's very possible lycanthropes did not have hymens to begin with.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Nov 20 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #18

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (nezumi @ Nov 20 2009, 07:11 AM) *
Most animals don't have hymens. It's very possible lycanthropes did not have hymens to begin with.

[Warning! Derailment ahead!]

Is that ever cool. I will have to check out the prevalence of hymens. Did you also know that humans are one of the few mammals, and the only primates, that do not have a bone in their penis? So, given the above information, somewhere in human evolution we lost the penis bone and gained the hymen.

I wonder what the evolutionary advantages of these were? One can guess that gaining a hymen allowed for some level of protection from foreign objects/infection. The loss of the bone seems counterintuitive, as the bone facilitates intercourse, even under 'less than ideal' initial stimulation.

I recall taking my 10 year-old daughter into the lab at the back of the archaeology museum. While I was cataloguing some artifacts, she made herself busy looking through the comparison sample drawers. "Dad, what's this?" She held up a (badger, racoon? I forget now) penis bone.

+Quote Post
Nemrod
post Nov 20 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 17,858

I *believe* the hymen is mostly connected by skin (which is dead), but it's not like I checked.

Actually that's wrong, it's a mucous membrane, so it's very much "alive" (living tissue).

In any case, I for one thinks this discussion is kind of.... weird.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 20 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Nemrod @ Nov 20 2009, 10:56 AM) *

Agreed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

As for the body regecting cyberware, yes actually, the body does naturally reject it (It doesn't spit it out, but I don't think regeneration says that it spits it out, just that it is rejected). There is plenty of fluff about having to take immunity suppressants when you first get new ware to stop your body attacking it, or perhaps to stop your body around it failing as it freaks out. Either way, the body has bad reactions to cyberware, and a creature with regeneration has these reactions only hundreds of times faster (and thus worse). This is why you need deltaware, so that the body doesn't have such a bad reaction.

So in the case of cyberware in a person with regeneration, the problem is likely much more along the lines of the body around the ware being damaged than the ware itself being damaged. In the case of bioware I could totally imagine the hyper speed healing of a creature with regeneration actually breaking it down.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 20 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #21

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (Nemrod @ Nov 20 2009, 04:56 PM) *

See disclaimer please ^^

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Nov 20 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #22

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 20 2009, 10:44 AM) *
The loss of the bone seems counterintuitive, as the bone facilitates intercourse, even under 'less than ideal' initial stimulation.

I would wonder if it has something to do with the fact that we (well, I anyway) have so freaking much sex all the time for non-reproductive reasons. Or alternatively, if it relates to our walking upright. Maybe penis bones get caught in things more. The latter would suggest lycanthropes wouldn't have one either (in human form), but the former would have no real impact.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Nov 20 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 20 2009, 10:44 AM) *
[Warning! Derailment ahead!]

Is that ever cool. I will have to check out the prevalence of hymens. Did you also know that humans are one of the few mammals, and the only primates, that do not have a bone in their penis?

Huh, I did not know.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Nov 21 2009, 04:57 AM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

You are fired from the internet forever for getting crappy vampire storyline all over my shadowrun I will commence my effort to track you down and throw you out an airlock in the morning....or sometime.

As Karoline pointed out a woman's hymen does not regrow under natural means with any length of time, any emphasis based on the proverbial cherry is not something your body seeks to fix, so why would magic choose to do so.

Furthermore I think regeneration powers in games are dumb and poorly represented, too quickly it seems to become a race to zero of ridiculousness.

+Quote Post
OneTrikPony
post Nov 21 2009, 06:20 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,299

For some reason I'm not bothered by reading realative strangers thoughts on regenerating hymens.

However; I am a little freaked out to know that Stahlseele dreams about shifter sex while asleep in the tub. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

The fact that you came here to post that bit of personal info is Awesome. You RawK dude! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm gonna have to agree with the Hymens do not regenerate camp. Mostly because regeneration would really screw up the whole female side of the reproductive process so there must be some caveats where those specialized organs are concerned. But also because virgin sex is really kinda gross and I don't want my own shiftersex dreams to be ruined. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.