Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hardware Skill and Infiltrators
Blackb1rd
post Nov 19 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,805

Basically this is just a quick poll to see how important it really is. The rules aren't completely clear on whether or not you need it to use a Maglock Passkey, if you do i will definitely pick up the hardware skill asap. However if you don't need it to use a Maglock Passkey then i would appreciate it if you wouls 'sell' the idea of sacrificing attributes or qualities to work up the necessary BP to buy some 'stock' in the skill.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 19 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

A Maglock Passkey doesn't require any special skill to use. It's basically a skeleton key. You do need skill checks to use a Sequencer, though, as that's a tool to help you bypass such locks. You'll have a lot more luck with a Sequencer and skill than you will a Passkey, though the former takes more time to use.

+Quote Post
crizh
post Nov 19 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 15,722

Mechanically you need Hardware and good Logic unless your GM isn't trying.

The second a facility starts to use Keypads someone with a Passkey is screwed. A Rating 6 Keypad with Rating 4 Anti-tamper is disturbingly cheap and nearly impossible to bypass without word class Hardware Skillz.

Hardware just has so many other uses you can't afford to skimp on it. Optical Taps being a great example.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 19 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 19 2009, 05:47 PM) *
A Maglock Passkey doesn't require any special skill to use. It's basically a skeleton key. You do need skill checks to use a Sequencer, though, as that's a tool to help you bypass such locks. You'll have a lot more luck with a Sequencer and skill than you will a Passkey, though the former takes more time to use.

No, the sequencer works without any skill -but- it requires you to open the maglock numpad case, which requires a hardware check.

And yeah, a maglock card is to hardware skill as the autopicker is to lockpicking. It makes it largely useless, but it is handy to be able to do it the hard way for when you don't have your toys around.

+Quote Post
crizh
post Nov 19 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #5

Runner

Maglock Passkeys rapidly become a game of Russian Roulette as Security levels increase.

Passkeys, and Sequencers, use an Opposed Test versus the Maglock's Rating. As both have a cap of 6 this can be stupid dangerous.

Using Hardware takes longer but the Thresholds for Anti-tamper are fixed and the Test to circumvent the lock itself is an Extended Test so you will eventually get through.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 19 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Yeah, I agree that you should have the hardware skill (I think it might have been one of my comments that prompted this post), I was just pointing out what did and did not require actual skill on the part of the user.

+Quote Post
Blackb1rd
post Nov 19 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 20 2009, 12:16 AM) *
I think it might have been one of my comments that prompted this post

You'd be right, you did influence this post in a way. I opened up the thread because i feel that the way my character is right now is incredibly satisfying and i need someone to actually sell the idea of sacrificing Attributes for it, my goal is to have no one attribute below 3 and since the character is semi-combat oriented i need a high agility, i already sacrificed a point of agility to raise enough BP for enough Nuyen to buy the Move-by-wire Syste Rating 1.

Current attribute stats:

Body 3 (20BP)
Agility 5 (7) (30BP)
Reaction 5 (7) (40BP)
Strength 3 (5) (20BP)
Charisma 4 (10BP)
Intuition 4 (30BP)
Logic 3 (20BP)
Willpower 3 (20BP)
Edge 3 (20BP)

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 20 2009, 12:07 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Well, look at it this way. There are the following kinds of locks in SR:
Key locks - this requires lockpicking skill or an auto pick to get through.
Transponder Embedded Key locks - This requires lockpicking/auto pick and hardware skill
Keypad maglocks - This requires 2 hardware skill checks or one hardware skill check and a sequencer.
Cardreader maglocks - This requires 2 hardware skill check or a mag card.
Various biometric locks which could requires: fingerprints, retina prints, voice recognition and a few others. These can't usually be bypassed with hardware skill.

So, in order to improve your odds of getting into a facility, the hardware skill is very handy, because unless it is a cardreader you're in trouble. Even with hardware skill there are still times you could be in trouble, but it certainly adds some options.

A lost point of reaction wouldn't hurt you overly much since you do have that nifty move-by-wire system. You may not be able to get enough skill to get through world class locks, but without it you aren't getting through Joe Wageslave's key padded front door.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Nov 20 2009, 12:24 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

Couldn't you just buy a skillsoft? Skillwire is included in your Move-by-Wire, you might as well use it.

+Quote Post
crizh
post Nov 20 2009, 12:30 AM
Post #10

Runner

Oh God no.

Edge baby, Edge.

I can't tell you how many times I've Glitched a crucial Hardware check...

+Quote Post
Blackb1rd
post Nov 20 2009, 12:32 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Traul @ Nov 20 2009, 12:24 AM) *
Couldn't you just buy a skillsoft? Slimmwire is included in your Move-by-Wire, you might as well use it.

Already using the two slots for dodge skill. May swap ou dodge for Hardware if you can convince me.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 20 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

o.O

It's highly unlikely that you'll need to use Dodge while using Hardware. There's no reason to avoid getting the Activesoft just because you already have another one. That's the whole point of Skillwires.

+Quote Post
Blackb1rd
post Nov 20 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Alright, i didnt realize you could have more activesofts than the slots for them, thanks for that, you really set me straight on that one.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 20 2009, 01:12 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 19 2009, 07:38 PM) *
o.O

It's highly unlikely that you'll need to use Dodge while using Hardware. There's no reason to avoid getting the Activesoft just because you already have another one. That's the whole point of Skillwires.

I'm thinking that BB means more along the lines of affording one over the other, not simply being able to run one over the other.

In honesty with the seriously increased prices on skillsofts, they don't seem worth it anymore in 4A.

If you're talking about your character from here I don't see why you have the skillsoft if you have the actual skill. For the same price as a rating 2 skillsoft you can increase your natural dodge skill from 1 to 2.

Dropping specializations might also be a good idea. A specialization costs 2BP, but it also only costs 2 Karma, while most other things cost more karma than BP. Because of this specializations are generally a bad idea to BP into. You should get 4-6 karma a run, and can easily spend your first two runs to grab all those specs you want while actually making your character overall better in the long run.

Doing that could net you a nice 12 BP which could be put directly into a 3 hardware skill, which you could then spec in game for maglocks. That gives you 8 dice, which is enough to get past a rating 2-3 tamper sensor, and get your way into a rating 4 maglock without too much difficulty.

I know this kinda belongs in the other thread, but oh well. I'd also advise trading out the ortho-skin for either dermal plating, or dermal sheathing. It'll cost you a bit of extra essence, but will provide a bit better protection and be cheaper. Look at ortho-skin as a future upgrade option when essence starts getting tight. To offset the extra essence cost, consider switching from muscle replacement to muscle toner. Only slightly more expensive and way less essence intensive. The str portion isn't really helping you out all that much anyway, it only gives you 1 extra point of damage, and it is costing you a ton.

Unless you have a seriously pressing need for a top end commlink, I'd highly advise getting a lower grade one. It will save you money, and is a better deal (You pay way more for a fairlight than the parts would cost). Stuff in the 3 rating area is generally a really good deal and still sufficiently secure (Especially if you just slave it to only operate to manually input commands or commands from some particular controlling device of yours.)

Cybereyes are a really expensive alternative to glasses/goggles with the same mods in them (costing around 10x as much in eyes than in goggles). There are of course plenty of potential RP reasons you would want the eyes, or simply not want to risk being parted from your glasses/goggles, but it is something to consider that could save you a BP or two worth of nuyen.

Any particular reason for the internal smartgun over an external one? Statistically they are identical, and the main reason for getting the internal is that you have run out of accessory slots externally. On such an expensive weapon, I'd suggest going over to an external smartgun to save a fair little chunk of cash.

Oh, and specs on your knowledge is another 'same cost as karma' thing, so might want to take that off from BP and buy it back with karma when you get a chance.

Oh, and I'm guessing you know you're going to suffer massive encumbrance penalties based on the armor you picked out right? You have effective encumbrance of 11/7, and the max you can handle without penalty is 6, so you'll be suffering a -3 to your agility.

And finally, the DocWagon contract seems like a big chunk of resources for something that is of surprisingly limited help. DocWagons take longer to reach you than it takes you to bleed to death, so they are unlikely to be able to do more than get you to a funeral service.

Just my advice on the character. Take what you want and use it, ignore what you don't like.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:19 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.