Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Decker Mages, Can't find rules for Awakened Deckers
Gauvain
post Feb 2 2004, 06:36 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,051

I recalling seeing rules in 2nd ed for Mage/Deckers. I can't find any in 3rd ed, are there any?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Feb 2 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Not sure what you want. A mage can be a decker, sure.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Feb 2 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

There arent any mage/decker specific rules that I've ever seen. Mages can be deckers without any special rules in 3rd ed. Well, none other than the fact that you cant cast spells in the Matrix, but that should be obvious.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 2 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Yes, there are rules. If the mage wants a datajack, they suffer a point of magic loss unless they geas it away. If they don't get a datajack, they have to use a 'trode rig instead, which has its own disadvantages. Magic doesn't work in the Matrix. Basically, the standard rules for deckers combined with the rules for cyberware and the Awakened, nothing more.

~J

+Quote Post
Reaver
post Feb 2 2004, 06:46 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,153

QUOTE (Gauvain)
I recalling seeing rules in 2nd ed for Mage/Deckers. I can't find any in 3rd ed, are there any?

There is a blurb in MITS about mages being deckers or riggers. I don't have mine on me, but it's in the descrption of the awakened character near the beginning.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Feb 2 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

There are a few rules scattered here and there. As I recall there's a special test you need to roll before projecting while decking (which obviously ends the decking session). Mostly stuff that'll never happen.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Feb 2 2004, 06:49 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I don't recall, but they nixed that silly rule that gave you a penalty for having a magic attribute and decking or rigging, didn't they?

+Quote Post
Gauvain
post Feb 2 2004, 06:50 PM
Post #8

Target

There used to be some pretty ugly penalties to actions in the matrix if you were magicially active, due to the differing worldviews. I think these were either in Awakenings or VR 2.0.

+Quote Post
Reaver
post Feb 2 2004, 06:56 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Gauvain)
There used to be some pretty ugly penalties to actions in the matrix if you were magicially active, due to the differing worldviews. I think these were either in Awakenings or VR 2.0.

They didn't seem to have any of that in MITS or 3rd ed. core rules from what I saw, so they appear to have nixed it when they switched over. Along with my damn spell locks! No, I'm not bitter. ;)

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Feb 2 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

Wow.

Reaver=Spell Locks.

That's my summary of you.

BTW, WHAT THE HELL ARE SPELL LOCKS? I like to know when people are bitching.

+Quote Post
Grey
post Feb 2 2004, 07:51 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 100

they were a type of focus similar to sustaining foci. only they didn't have a force, you could cast any spell into them and it was "locked". its uber-broken munchy crap that people need to quit bitching about. systaining foci are way more balanced.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Feb 2 2004, 07:58 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

*Search through the old and dusty, give up and add from memory*
Spell locks cost 1 karma, could hold a spell of any force, could be turned off without requiring the spell to be recast, but resisted like any other force 1 focus.

+Quote Post
Reaver
post Feb 2 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Grey)
they were a type of focus similar to sustaining foci. only they didn't have a force, you could cast any spell into them and it was "locked". its uber-broken munchy crap that people need to quit bitching about. systaining foci are way more balanced.

It's not about balance. It's about having two previous editions, tons of adventures and dozens of stories that have spell locks in them... and then saying they don't exist. Sorry, but that's BS. I love sustaining foci and I think they are a great idea, but I still allow spell locks as well... and the ability to ground through them. :D

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Feb 2 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

Waaaaaa!

When I converted my character from SR2 to SR3, I switched my spell locks for sustaining foci of the appropriate forces. And then I quit whining about it.

+Quote Post
Gauvain
post Feb 2 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #15

Target

Hey!

Back on track!

Decker magi! The character type makes a great 'doorman' with the ability to open almost any kind of barrier. Kinda stink at maging and decking, but them's the breaks. Question is: is it worth trying? Or are the penalties too horrible to deal with?

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Feb 2 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

It's a perfectly viable character concept. The minimal cyber you need to be a decker doesn't hurt your Magic too badly (and if you're getting the datajack and losing/geasing the Magic point anyway, you might as well take another 0.8 Essence of handy cyber/bio while you're at it), and being Awakened doesn't affect you in the Matrix. Your points are going to be spread kind of thin - you won't have a lot of capability outside your core foci - but it's doable.

And later on, you can dump your Karma into improving your magic and your cash into improving your deck, which works out nicely. Both fields can be severe time sinks, though.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 2 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

no kidding. devolping an Analyze Code spell might be worthwhile--works like Analyze Device, but gives you points in an appropriate Program Design knowledge skill.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 3 2004, 12:40 AM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

I want a Force 6 Debug spell.

~J

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Feb 3 2004, 01:18 AM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I want a Force 6 Debug spell.

~J

You can already get a form of spiritball that is restricted to bug spirits.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 3 2004, 06:24 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

groan.

+Quote Post
L.D
post Feb 3 2004, 08:22 AM
Post #21

Harlequin

Member No.: 861

I'm in school now so I can't look it up, but I'm pretty sure there was something about mages and decking in the first Virtual Realities (first edition). There where some penalties, and then you always have... "Sir Twist" (?) from the "Secrets of Power" trilogy. His icon limped because he was a shaman.

I don't remember there being anything in Awakenings nor Virtual Realities 2.0. I think they dropped that idea when they went to the second edition, just like they (sorta) dropped the rules for decking without a deck. No, I'm not talking about Otaku, I'm talking about regular deckers being able to deck without a deck and the rules for it.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 3 2004, 08:38 AM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Deck Naked!

~J

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 3 2004, 02:28 PM
Post #23

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Yeah! Fastjack did it in the opening story in First ed. Check the cover, the elf popping what looks like spurs, is actually specialized cyberwear for deckers to jack in without a deck, basically precurser to the Cranial cyberdeck.

+Quote Post
L.D
post Feb 3 2004, 02:55 PM
Post #24

Harlequin

Member No.: 861

Well, I've looked it up and they give two options:

1) Increase all TN:s with the magicians Magic Attribute.

2) Increase all TN:s with the magicians Sorcery skill.

Edit: This is from Virtual Realities from first edition.

This post has been edited by L.D: Feb 3 2004, 07:29 PM

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Feb 3 2004, 05:00 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Yeah! Fastjack did it in the opening story in First ed. Check the cover, the elf popping what looks like spurs, is actually specialized cyberwear for deckers to jack in without a deck, basically precurser to the Cranial cyberdeck.

DODGER! NOT FASTJACK.

Program Carriers are the things you're thinking about. There's no reason why they won't work in 3rd edition either (apart from the danger to the decker) and you can find them in Plastic Warriors' most excellent Running Gear supplement (well worth the price!)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:35 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.