IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What would happen if you crushed a vampires throat?, Oxygen dormancy, Regenration, and more
Lok1 :)
post Nov 23 2009, 05:40 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,321

I was thinking about this for a while, what happend if one wished to fake the death or capture a vampire and attempted this one way or another?
I'm no expert and I'm not sure how this would work, the rules arn't super clear on this stuff so I thought I'd ask. Would a carfuly placed blow or just a bullet to the throught (not the jugular) kill the vampire before he intered dormancy? Would the wound heal before he went out, and if he did go dormant, would the wound heal itself than wake him up with oxygen.
Also on a related note, what would happen if a vampire had a wad of marshmellows stuffed down is throat at he started to choke?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Nov 23 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

The Induced Dormancy weakness doesn't specifically say that the vampire needs to breathe the air, but it's a fair assumption. I think the difficulty in representing choking a vamp out would be that degrees of choking in the game would be Stun damage, and shooting the throat would be Physical damage, and both would be healed very quickly by the vamp's Regeneration power. Likewise, there's no real way to model someone choking to death on their own blood in the system beyond taking a lot of damage and not being stabilized, and this would be a tough thing to pull off on a creature with Regen.

The other thing about Induced Dormancy is it takes minutes, so for a vamp that's 40-220 combat rounds they need to be oxygen deprived. The dormancy is a great way to store and transport vamps, if that's your thing, but it's something that you have to trigger after you beat them down as opposed to a great way to beat them down on it's own. (Considering that anything you do to the vamp will likely be Regened, and if you holding a plastic bag over their head they'll likely go to Mist Form, choking a vamp out is hard to do-- nevermind that doing anything that takes a minimum of 40 combat rounds to be hard to pull off in the system.) The dormancy ends after the vamp is exposed to oxygen for a minute, so once the vamp is out, you have a little bit of time to work.

You're best bet would be to have a modified tanker truck (for mobility, or any water/air tight tank if you plan to lure the vamps in) that you toss the vamp in once you've beaten/shot/spelled them into unconsciousness (which will likely only last a round or two due to Regen). Seal it up and hope the vamp doesn't have a spell that will blow the truck up. (Having a truck also helps since you can move it, so even if the vamp astrally projects to try to get someone to help them, having his meatbod be mobile will muck things up.) Give it half an hour, pull the vamp out and vaccuum seal it and store it wherever you want.

Having a vamp go dormant because he choked on a bunch of marshmellow peeps would be humorous, but unlikely. Especially because he could physically rip his or her own throat out, remove the peeps, and then heal up fine in a matter of seconds.

I think the trick to getting a vamp to go dormant is keeping it in one place where it can be deprived of oxygen long enough for it to take effect. Throwing a book vamp into a body of water should work (the book vamp has a STR 3, no Athletics listed, and a -4 penalty to all swimming related tests), but it seems like if they go to Mist Form they could float out unless the Mist Form is required to make swim tests-- which is weird for other reasons. (I mean, it's mist.)

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Nov 24 2009, 12:15 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Keep in mind that the book has a vague mention of the mist form being vulnerable to strong winds, which can disrupt/move/push the creature, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch for a GM to rule that a vampire in mist form probably wouldn't be able to escape a current very easily even if such an event doesn't induce dormancy. Like I said though, it's a pretty vague mention, with no hard and fast rules attached and no mention of water, so take it for what little it's worth.

+Quote Post
post Nov 24 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Mist is less dense then water.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 24 2009, 12:49 AM
Post #5

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

Choke the vamp til he goes mist form then suck him up into your internal air tank.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 24 2009, 01:16 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

I'd think that you're unlikely to be able to use the lack of oxygen thing in combat, and is more likely meant to simulate the case of Dracula being locked in a coffin. After all, if he didn't go dormant, why didn't he just break the coffin?

A vampire choking on on a marshmallow sounds funny, and I don't think he could mist form out of it (Takes clothing with, so figure it would take marshmallows and handcuffs and similar with). Granted a vamp doesn't have much reason to eat marshmallows in the first place.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Nov 24 2009, 01:18 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

And then he turns back into a vamp and you both explode.

Maybe.

Actually, I liked the idea of vamps hiding in an internal air tank (it's a great way to sneak a vamp in someplace), but I was never convinced it would work. How much can you compress a vampire in mist form? How much space does he take up? If there isn't enough room left over for air in the air tank, would the vamp go dormant and return to meatbod form inside the tank? Who gets the cleaning bill for something like that? And so on.

Lotta vampire posts today.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 24 2009, 01:21 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Mercer @ Nov 23 2009, 08:18 PM) *

Was just thinking that.

As for how much room does a vamp's mist form take up... I'd imagine about as much space as the vampire himself if the mist was all condensed. That's what logic tells me, but magic could make that totally different, because you can change mass and volume with magic.

+Quote Post
post Nov 24 2009, 01:31 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mercer @ Nov 24 2009, 02:18 AM) *

Blame twilight™

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 24 2009, 01:36 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Lok1 :) @ Nov 23 2009, 08:31 PM) *
Blame twilight™

My Responses to Twilight.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Nov 24 2009, 01:46 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

QUOTE (Lok1 :) @ Nov 23 2009, 08:23 PM) *
Mist is less dense then water.

Uh, mist is just water droplets that are suspended in air, so even if you point out density, we're still essentially talking about the capabilities of an underwater sentient magical cloud, which isn't exactly something I'm terribly comfortable with predicting. All I really mean to point out here is that a mist form -can- be disturbed, at least by some forces. Where people want to go with that information is up to them. I don't really care what people come up with, even if it's just a strict RAW "They never mentioned water, so that means water is completely manageable," interpretation. We're talking about some pretty exotic territory regardless.

+Quote Post
post Nov 24 2009, 01:50 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

LoL nice, I kept expecting to see Blade come in. Quite dissapointing.
I only survived new moon by imagining Blade takeing out the entire cast.
Whip, I brain farted their, your right mist is just evaporated water. Brings up another complicated quistion, what if you super-cooled a vampire in mist form? Then heated it up enough to get it into a liquide form.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 24 2009, 02:05 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Mist isn't always defined as water, and in this case I think it would be misted vampire, so it might have a different density than water. Also mist technically has a different density than water, just like steam does.

That aside, I figure if you cooled a mistform vampire enough you just might manage a liquid form of some kind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Nov 24 2009, 02:50 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 16,449

QUOTE (Mercer @ Nov 23 2009, 07:18 PM) *
And then he turns back into a vamp and you both explode.

Maybe.

Actually, I liked the idea of vamps hiding in an internal air tank (it's a great way to sneak a vamp in someplace), but I was never convinced it would work. How much can you compress a vampire in mist form? How much space does he take up? If there isn't enough room left over for air in the air tank, would the vamp go dormant and return to meatbod form inside the tank? Who gets the cleaning bill for something like that? And so on.

I agree with this.

As to who cleans it up... Well, there are companies who specialize in crime scene clean-up, and they use Haz-mat protocols, which makes sense when you consider that blood is mildly toxic, and, "chunks" constitute a biohazard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 24 2009, 02:58 AM
Post #15

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Lok1 :) @ Nov 23 2009, 08:50 PM) *
LoL nice, I kept expecting to see Blade come in. Quite dissapointing.
I only survived new moon by imagining Blade takeing out the entire cast.

I saw someone post a pic along those lines a while ago, but I don't remember if it was even on this forum or not. I think it was from the scene where whats his name is trying to scare the girl (Around when he shows off his sparkle). Has him looking at her, and blade is just kinda standing in the very near background, staring at him, looking like he is ready to stab him in the back. Anyone have that pic?

Oh google, is there anything you can't find?

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Nov 24 2009, 03:17 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 16,449

QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 23 2009, 08:58 PM) *
I saw someone post a pic along those lines a while ago, but I don't remember if it was even on this forum or not. I think it was from the scene where whats his name is trying to scare the girl (Around when he shows off his sparkle). Has him looking at her, and blade is just kinda standing in the very near background, staring at him, looking like he is ready to stab him in the back. Anyone have that pic?

Oh google, is there anything you can't find?

*Highly amused.*

Blade should'a shanked both of them just to be sure.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:07 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.