Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sensors as scopes? (3rd)
Fygg Nuuton
post Nov 26 2009, 07:07 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

Just as the topic says. Sensors CAN zoom, and since you use them to aim, can the zoom function be used as a scope?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 26 2009, 07:14 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

They do zoom. It's the whole point of Vision Magnification.

+Quote Post
post Nov 26 2009, 07:24 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 326

QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton @ Nov 26 2009, 08:07 AM) *
Just as the topic says. Sensors CAN zoom, and since you use them to aim, can the zoom function be used as a scope?

That's how we play it, although I don't have a page reference handy. Every sensor component [as described on SR3, p135] works in combat terms just as its cyber counterparts would. Hence, flare compensation [which you get with Rating 5 sensors, or as an add-on] as a Sensor component works just like flare comp anywhere else. And hence, the zoom function of the sensors works like Vision Magnification, reducing target numbers at range.

Level 1 sensors have "telescopic magnification," but that's non-specific. We treat the Sensor level as the Vision Magnification level in cases where it's needed, or allow it to be upgraded on its own as per the rules in Rigger 3, p135.

+Quote Post
PBI
post Nov 26 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,955

It's a question of YMMV. I don't allow sensors to emulate scopes in my game, because I want the players to have to make the decision to have a scope or sensors.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 26 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

What decision is that, though? You can't mount a scope on a drone.

Our interpretation has been likewise, though even if you forbid it the possibility to use Sensor-Enhanced Gunnery means that against most targets it's not too bad a penalty.

It should be noted that there's a very limited amount of sense that can be applied to the question, as combat scopes tend to be very low on actual magnification; I believe the scoped sight that's standard-mount on the Steyr AUG is all of 1.5x.

~J

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 26 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

That's what I was saying (though it reads weird now that I've slept). A scope is just a sensor. Vision Magnification does exactly the same thing it does, so any other sensor should be able to fulfill the role, too. Ruleswise they're just a Vision Sensor with an apparently unlimited capacity.

What you give up by not using a scope is the free capacity. It's like choosing glasses over goggles or contact lenses. You can get the actual job done any number of ways. Scopes are just another option.

+Quote Post
PBI
post Nov 26 2009, 06:36 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 26 2009, 02:16 PM) *
What decision is that, though? You can't mount a scope on a drone.

Our interpretation has been likewise, though even if you forbid it the possibility to use Sensor-Enhanced Gunnery means that against most targets it's not too bad a penalty.

It should be noted that there's a very limited amount of sense that can be applied to the question, as combat scopes tend to be very low on actual magnification; I believe the scoped sight that's standard-mount on the Steyr AUG is all of 1.5x.

~J

They want to use the big weapons on sensors, they don't get the advantage of a scope. They want the scope advantage, they'll have to forgo the big sensor-enhanced weps. Like I said, to each GM their own.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 26 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (PBI @ Nov 26 2009, 01:36 PM) *
They want to use the big weapons on sensors, they don't get the advantage of a scope. They want the scope advantage, they'll have to forgo the big sensor-enhanced weps. Like I said, to each GM their own.

So the decision you're actually suggesting is "use a drone" vs. "don't use a drone"? Or is that not it?

Doc: in principle I agree with you, but since we have disjoint stats (nx zoom vs. Rating m) it's not clear to me that basing a decision on the fact that they're the same thing is sound, since they work differently. Oh, Shadowrun, how I missed you.

This is mostly academic, though.

~J

+Quote Post
PBI
post Nov 26 2009, 08:47 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

No. What I'm saying is that in my world, sensor magnification does not grant scope benefits. Drone, cybereye, giant robot, whatever. If my players want scope benefits, they need to be using a scope

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.