Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ShadowBay, From the depth of eBay
Ancient History
post Nov 28 2009, 01:51 AM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,935

I do on occasion delve into eBay, just to see what's out there that's new and special and too rich for my blood.

The Shadowrun Manga caught my eye because I didn't recall them as actually existing - and then I ran across this ancient article which would seem to lend credence to the posting. Still only an item the most eccentric (or Japanese-fluent) collector.

I actually asked Adam about these t-shirts; there are couple different designs from the same seller.

I include the Shadowrun thesis only to encourage people not to buy it (although it's kind of them to include free shipping given the price - US$60 is about average). Anyway, it's a 68-page thesis written in English by a non-American student, and general feedback on the contents (and especially the relevance to Shadowrun) has been poor. Skip this one.

Shadowrun posters are rare enough, but this is a really cherry example of an early FASA pin-up. Minus the border, it's the picture from Native American Nations, Vol. 1.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Nov 28 2009, 02:02 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Oh man. If only they'd used an image that was more appropriate for a campaign T-Shirt than the faded wall poster.

I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Nov 28 2009, 03:40 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 16,449

Hey Ancient... when did you get a job at QVC?

Or are you hard up for money and getting kickbacks? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Just kidding man... where do you always find all the stuff you run across? Better yet, how much time do you spend looking for SR stuff? You always find good stuff...

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Nov 28 2009, 03:53 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I didn't know about the manga. Too bad there isn't an English translation. I'd love to get a good look at it.

Nice work on tracking all those down, AH.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 28 2009, 03:56 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

My awe-inspiring powers generally amount to typing "shadowrun" into eBay's search parameters once every couple of weeks and scrolling through the 10 or so pages. If I get really insane (or bored), which really shouldn't happen because I'm behind on writing, I'll go through Amazon and a couple of its foreign site mirrors like Amazon.uk and Amazon.ca. Like with many things, all you really require is the fortitude to wade through fifty entries on the Shadowrun PC/Xbox disaster and an eye for little details.

Which is how I now own three copies of the Street Samurai Guide: the original uncensored edition, the regular censored edition, and the (presumably) rarer censored-but-in-a-different-way edition.

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Nov 28 2009, 04:03 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 16,449

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 27 2009, 09:56 PM) *
My awe-inspiring powers generally amount to typing "shadowrun" into eBay's search parameters once every couple of weeks and scrolling through the 10 or so pages. If I get really insane (or bored), which really shouldn't happen because I'm behind on writing, I'll go through Amazon and a couple of its foreign site mirrors like Amazon.uk and Amazon.ca. Like with many things, all you really require is the fortitude to wade through fifty entries on the Shadowrun PC/Xbox disaster and an eye for little details.

Translation: Patience Grasshopper...

See, that must be where I always mess up, I'm big on instant gratification. Plus, everytime I see a page of SR PC/Xbox I get pissed and bail.

Which is how I now own three copies of the Street Samurai Guide: the original uncensored edition, the regular censored edition, and the (presumably) rarer censored-but-in-a-different-way edition.

Really? I didn't know there were three versions...

+Quote Post
Method
post Nov 28 2009, 04:21 AM
Post #7

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 27 2009, 05:51 PM) *
I actually asked Adam about these t-shirts; there are couple different designs from the same seller.

What was the question and what was his response? Are these official or is this an IP infringement of some kind?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 28 2009, 04:21 AM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Nov 27 2009, 10:53 PM) *
I didn't know about the manga. Too bad there isn't an English translation. I'd love to get a good look at it.

If someone can provide me a copy of the manga (or a script thereof), even temporarily, I can make a translation.

~J

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 28 2009, 04:40 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Method @ Nov 28 2009, 05:21 AM) *
What was the question and what was his response? Are these official or is this an IP infringement of some kind?

As far as I know they're not "official" in that I don't believe that CGL (or any other license holder) has granted a sub-license to print them. My question to Adam was whether or not the Vote-For-Dunkelzahn poster-shirt had ever been an official FASA shirt (yes). As far as I know, these guys just have a couple boxes of the old ones lying around...if they're actually printing new ones, I don't know.

+Quote Post
underaneonhalo
post Nov 28 2009, 04:41 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,736

That t-shirt looks like a really bad photoshop.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Nov 28 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (underaneonhalo @ Nov 27 2009, 11:41 PM) *
That t-shirt looks like a really bad photoshop.

It does. Makes me want to "fix" it by making a "Vote for Big D" t-shirt, rather than a "Vote for Big D poster" t-shirt.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Nov 28 2009, 12:13 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

I remember once I picked up Universal Brotherhood for $5AUD in a second hand section at my local RPG store. It somehow got lost in a move (I think) only to find that it retails on Ebay for $100USD+ (usually $150USD now). Doh.

I am also on the hunt for a copy of Runner Havens. Cheapest I've seen in 12 months is approximately $127USD. Sigh.

- J.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 10 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Space Gamer. It's hard to remember now, but back in the dawn times Shadowrun actually rated articles and reviews in these things called "gaming magazines," which sadly pretty much are one-company promoters or nearly nonexistent at this point. If you're interested in those kinds of things, others to look out for are issues of Challenger, White Wolf Quarterly, Game Trade Magazine, and a rare few issues of Dragon. Generally those auctions will not advertise that the issue has a Shadowrun-specific article, so you have to sort of know what you're looking for. Case in point: Dragon Magazine #199 includes an article on Dunkelzahn: the Mass-Media Dragon written by Tom Dowd.

The Shadowrun SEGA Mega-CD game, released only in Japan (and in Japanese) is a rarity, made available only through the grace of the internet. This isn't a bad price, but since this game is on an ancient system, is only in Japanese, and a somewhat bizarre format, it's more of a curiosity than a must-have. Reviews and screenshots are available online in various fansites.

Now this is interesting (and cheap!), a FASA Shadowrun poster I've never seen before. The auctioneer claims it is for Shadowrun Third Edition, which I doubt since FASA closed long before then. The art is definitely Jeff Laubenstein, though - look at that troll and the street mage that stepped right off the color plates of SR1 and SR2!

High Tech & Low Life is one of the great bombs of Shadowrun publishing, at least the way I heard it. This was back in the day when D&D was releasing books of its art by Brom and Larry Elmore; SR had some pieces by Luis Ruyo, Soriyama, and Tim Bradstreet to brag about, so they got in the game with this too-big-to-fit-on-a-shelf art book...it did not sell quickly, or in mass quantities. It is very pretty however.

Always beware buying German SR novels, or at the very least do a quick online translation before you bid. This item, for example, is a German translation of Find Your Own Truth, the third novel in Shadowrun's Secrets of Power trilogy - and which you can get in English for about a buck plus shipping. That said, the Germans have produced their own original and unique Shadowrun novels. Which are all in German.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 10 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #14

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 28 2009, 04:56 AM) *

a bit of elven nudity offended some parent "representatives"?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 10 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #15

panda!

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 10 2009, 04:04 PM) *
Now this is interesting (and cheap!), a FASA Shadowrun poster I've never seen before. The auctioneer claims it is for Shadowrun Third Edition, which I doubt since FASA closed long before then. The art is definitely Jeff Laubenstein, though - look at that troll and the street mage that stepped right off the color plates of SR1 and SR2!

yep, looks like the archetypes from the SR2 thats sitting on my shelf.

High Tech & Low Life is one of the great bombs of Shadowrun publishing, at least the way I heard it. This was back in the day when D&D was releasing books of its art by Brom and Larry Elmore; SR had some pieces by Luis Ruyo, Soriyama, and Tim Bradstreet to brag about, so they got in the game with this too-big-to-fit-on-a-shelf art book...it did not sell quickly, or in mass quantities. It is very pretty however.

http://www.allianceangst.com/galeria/desen...owrun%2038.html <- if this is what he did for SR, its not his best work...

that is, unless i am getting the names confused, or ol AH did a typo...

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Dec 10 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Poster is cover from Sprawl Maps (1994) but I don't ever remember seeing it as a poster.

Edit: Claiming mint to near mint condition, but in the pic you can see the corner missing. Folds are small, smaller then SR book size...promo poster?
Edit: Folds similar to first poster you linked and this one, had to be a promo. http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage....sid=1&vgp=0

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Dec 10 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 27 2009, 11:21 PM) *
If someone can provide me a copy of the manga (or a script thereof), even temporarily, I can make a translation.

~J

Would finding you a raw scan be okay? I could see if one of the random translation groups has it in an archive they picked up along the way.

I seem to remember someone talking about the manga before on here, and I wanted to say it was you, AH. Or maybe I was digging up Shadowrun stuff and stumbled across it. I just get the feeling that I've seen it before and heard someone talking about it.

+Quote Post
McCummhail
post Dec 10 2009, 05:05 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,452

There are actually some really interesting shadowrun books available only in Japan.
I find the play example books fascinating.
Books that present examples of play in a novel / comic / rules fashion to help integrate new players (because pen and paper role playing is really niche over there).

I can also assist with any translations. I will look for scans after work.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 10 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #19

panda!

ye freakin lolita...

+Quote Post
Method
post Dec 10 2009, 08:40 PM
Post #20

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 10 2009, 07:04 AM) *
The auctioneer claims it is for Shadowrun Third Edition, which I doubt since FASA closed long before then.
Huh? FASA published the first several printings of SR3 before going out of business.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 10 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Dec 10 2009, 11:46 AM) *
Would finding you a raw scan be okay? I could see if one of the random translation groups has it in an archive they picked up along the way.

That's more or less what I was hinting at with the "script" bit; I could probably work from a real script as well, but context can be a pain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

~J

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 11 2009, 12:14 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Method @ Dec 10 2009, 08:40 PM) *
Huh? FASA published the first several printings of SR3 before going out of business.

You're right, my tired brain was thinking of Fourth Edition.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 11 2009, 12:53 AM
Post #23

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 10 2009, 04:04 PM) *
Always beware buying German SR novels, or at the very least do a quick online translation before you bid. This item, for example, is a German translation of Find Your Own Truth, the third novel in Shadowrun's Secrets of Power trilogy - and which you can get in English for about a buck plus shipping. That said, the Germans have produced their own original and unique Shadowrun novels. Which are all in German.

which, for the most part, suck ass . .

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 11 2009, 01:05 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

I can't throw stones.

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Dec 13 2009, 12:57 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 10 2009, 05:58 PM) *
That's more or less what I was hinting at with the "script" bit; I could probably work from a real script as well, but context can be a pain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

~J

Heh, I wasn't sure how kosher discussing fanscans are, but sometimes its worth being direct, y'know? Especially as they were never licensed over here, so technically...

(Mods, I'll remove this if you think its not kosher)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.