Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trying not to be recorded
Azryl
post Feb 3 2004, 03:40 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,595

In my groups next gaming session, my character will be meeting with another character that has a camera, recorder, and some headware memory installed. Now my question is, is there a way I can interfere with what he records without him knowing? I want him to think he gets all the shots he wants but once he uploads the data it will be useless.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 3 2004, 03:42 AM
Post #2

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Magic that only effects tech is the best chance. The spell Chaff should work, with enough successes, IIRC.

+Quote Post
Azryl
post Feb 3 2004, 03:56 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 5,595

No actives in the group, so spell are out.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 3 2004, 04:06 AM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

Well then...

A White Noise Generator for the sound. It will disrupt the sound recoding...

It might be possible to discover a flaw in the camera's workings... If you can have a decker get the tech specs on the camera (test results if possible) you could insure the lighting was insufficient or strobing in a manner to disrupt the recording...

Otherwise, hire a mage to cast physical mask on your character...

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 3 2004, 04:31 AM
Post #5

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Azryl)
No actives in the group, so spell are out.

No mages? How do you get pass the magical defenses?

I don't know of a canon way of interfering with headware camera/recorder without magic.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Feb 3 2004, 04:49 AM
Post #6

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Get him to look the other way? Seriously, aside from a blindfold or a pair of blacvked out sunglasses that's the only way I can see. :/

QUOTE (toturi)
No mages? How do you get pass the magical defenses?

Well with magically active people being fairly rare in the Shadowrun world, unless it's a really secure site, there's likely to be less in the way of magical security IMO. It's generally because the player group has a mage that the GM is forced to counter with heavy magical security otyherwise it'd be a cakewalk.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Feb 3 2004, 05:06 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

QUOTE (Azryl)
I want him to think he gets all the shots he wants but once he uploads the data it will be useless.

Follow him home. At an opportune moment, hit him with a couple capsule rounds of gamma scopolamine/DMSO Take him down to a street doc/cybertechnician and remove the headware memory. Erase the data, replace it with data of your choice, and reinsert the memory. Give him a dose of Laes (if you can afford it). Drop him off splashed with a liberal amount of synthahol on a street corner a few blocks from his residence.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 3 2004, 05:23 AM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

Following Jason's thoughts: Hack his telecom and find out what 'Trix sites he visits (or if he uses Simsense at home). Hack the site or simsense player to insert a virus into his headware memory. Have the virus activated by the camera dowloading pictures onto it.

Otherwise, meat with him virtually, over the 'Trix.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Feb 3 2004, 06:29 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

I don't think that Chaff would do the trick. It affects only technological devices, whereas the recorder and camera are paid-with-essense parts of a living organism.

I like Kanada's suggestion of getting his particular cyber models specs and attempting to find a flaw. Some camcorders record IR light as bright white, and the recorder might pick up noise that is barely out of the range of normal hearing. If you flood the area with that sort of light and sound, it could make the recordings useless.

Keep in mind that these flaws will probably only exist if your GM decides that it'd make for good gaming. If the other character is a PC then these flaws shouldn't exist without a good reason (i.e. the PC bought the 'ware used or has some preexisting backstory about why his 'ware is inferior). To give him flawed 'ware for no reason will cause resentment from the player.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 3 2004, 06:32 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

k10, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that was a really, really bad pun.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 3 2004, 06:51 AM
Post #11

Beetle Eater

I wish I deserved the benefit, motorfirebox.

Anyway: Costume Party!

Masquerade! Painted faces on parade! Masquerade! Hide your face so the world will never find you.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 3 2004, 07:05 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

nanites. i remember for sure that there are nanites designed to repair specified cybernetic systems; nanites designed to do the exact opposite should cost pretty much the same.

as far as magic goes, it should be pretty straightforward to develop a Disable Cybernetic Device spell. no, you wouldn't be able to target the cybercamera specifically by seeing it--but cybernetics are paid for with essence, right? if a mage can see through his cybereyes, then cybereyes can damn well be affected by spells, as the essence cost means that they're a part of the target's aura (in the same way that a cavity is a part of a person's dental profile).

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Feb 3 2004, 07:18 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Those nanites are called gremlins, and as I recall they're indiscriminate about the cyberware they destroy. They're also quite expensive.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 3 2004, 07:22 AM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Disguise. A lot of Disguise. Bland edge.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 3 2004, 07:26 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

well, all nanites are expensive. it shouldn't really cost a whole lot extra to get programmable gremlins--though i admit, i'm using logic to reach that conclusion. logic and SR rules don't always occupy the same space-time continuum.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th October 2024 - 10:06 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.