> Combat Sense Spell, does combat sense add to Reaction
j2klbs
post Nov 29 2009, 03:22 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,913

Hi all,

I'm interested on your opinions as to whether the Combat Sense spell adds to ones Reaction score and this is subject to the 150% maximum augmented rule.

The spell's relevant text states:

"Every hit ... adds 1 die for Reaction on Surprise Tests and when defending against ranged and melee attacks for the duration of the spell."

I'm not sure why the spell needs the words "for Reaction" unless they writers are somehow referring to the Reaction attribute. But then again, the spell does not increase the Reaction ability, it just adds bonus dice. So I'm not sure why the reference to Reaction is even needed.

Thoughts?

~j2klbs
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Nov 29 2009, 05:57 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

I think it shouldn't be subject to that maximum; after all, it doesn't do one of the more important things of Reaction: increase initiative.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 29 2009, 06:18 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

It's a dice pool bonus so is not affected by augmented maximums. Note that it says it "adds one die" rather than "improves Reaction by +1" for every hit.

+Quote Post
Justin
post Nov 29 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 17,879

I agree. If you wanted a spell that actually increased Reaction directly, there is "Improve Attribute: Reaction". Combat Sense is a bit more specialized, so it only adds dice value-- not reaction attribute. Wouldn't really make sense to have two spells that boost the same exact stat (the same way) in the same book. Combat Sense seems to only adjust the derived stat.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Nov 29 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

Still the words "for Reaction" are superfluous and misleading. Simply erasing them would not change anything of the assumed intended meaning.

There is the same problem with the Combat Sense Adept power and a similar one with Bone Lacing. The mentioning of the attribute adds nothing but confusion.

[rant]That's something they should have changed from SR4 to SR4A, not gimping direct and indirect combat spells, and forcing high dice pools to affect machines.[/rant]

+Quote Post
j2klbs
post Nov 29 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 17,913

Thanks all for your input! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

~j2klbs

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 01:39 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.