Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Wake, Hey, look what I found
Ancient History
post Nov 29 2009, 04:09 AM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,935

I honestly thought I'd lost this. I wrote it shortly after System Failure finished writing - I'd helped Lars polish Captain Chaos' death scene, and I really needed some sort of closure. This was right before I wrote Happy Trails, and I never really finished it, and thought it gone in one of my laptop deaths, but here it is tucked away on a CD...well, for what it's worth here it is.

This is where it ends, if you’re wondering.

Surrounded by his friends, colleagues and family. Body naked, washed from the stain of death, and wrapped in a clean white shroud. In the background you can feel the slow, deep bass of Concrete Dreams' red album. They say it was a favorite of the deceased.

“The deceased.” Hell. He’s not much to look at. I don’t know what you might expect…if you only ever see his name on the screen, or the icon…well, I’ll tell you what he looks like now. Forty or fifty years old. Brown hair, shot with silver. Beard, five years worth if a day. Lines on the forehead, at the eyes, the mouth. Anglo male. Human, of course. A little pale, some love handles…hey, what can you expect. Not like you can see the SySop of Shadowland Seattle getting out much.

Captain Chaos.

It’s a name to conjure with. Well, I hope not, anyway. These days, you can never tell.

This is a nice place for it. I know the organizers made it a big priority. We’ve all lost friends in the past few days, but Cap was more than one of our own. Hm, not bad. Maybe I can save that to sound clever later in front of the rest.

~o~

Kimberly set it up. Seattle, of course. Back room of the Link club downtown. They’d taken the system off-line before it hit, y’know? Routine maintenance. A miracle. Took three days setting up defenses and getting stable connections before the invitations went out.

It’s a nice touch, really. Shadow people, we like to hide behind our pretty icons. Sullen and paranoid. I guess it says something that this many showed up in the virtual, much less the flesh. Right now, I can’t see them. Took the trode rig off. Needed to see the body with my meat eyes. It wouldn’t make a difference, really…if this scene was fake, it was fake. But I doubted it.

The décor was simple, if not elegant. A room painted black, like a club should be. Cap was lying in state on the stage. Lights were soft rather than dimmed. A bar covered with a black cloth held drinks and food against one wall. The bartender, bless her heart, had managed to find a proper uniform: black pants, black shoes, black vest, long-sleeve white dress shirt, black necktie. I hope I wasn’t the only one thinking of hitting on her later.

~o~

In the Matrix, it was both a little flashier and a bit more austere. You get used to the complexity of a host…layers of adverts and graffiti, a dozen icons representing ongoing programs or processes. Here again, K sets the tone. A simple starscape, apparently infinite in its dimensions. Representations of Cap and the bar, in their proper place and proportions relative to one another. No big funerary trappings, no angels or guardians of the underworld. There was an exit door, a block of solid black the stars disappeared behind.

Shadow people huddled in twos and threes, talking quietly. Wedge and Findler-Man were staked out by the virtual bar; both of them were coming from different timezones so maybe they needed it. Winger and Syzygy were murmuring something to Smiley, who was crying; she had been the last one to see Cap alive.

Grid Reaper was there; the colors of his normally morbid icon inverted, talking to an angel whose face was painted with ashes. SilveryK was with them, a liquid silver gynoid in a mourning dress and veil of blackened chrome, and Perri in her best leathers and corpsepaint, hair drawn back in a severe braid.

Some people weren't here. Neon Wraith. Cinder and Peregrine. Spirit and Otomo. I hadn't heard if the Crash 2.0 had got them, or maybe they just didn't get the invite. More regulars filtered in, vetted one at a time. Shadowland regulars. Old friends, familiar icons.

An old man entered the club, a simple black cloth suit, domino mask, and faded tattoos showing at wrist and collar, but his icon in the Matrix was FastJack's, a man-sized blur with a single black stripe on the left arm. He nodded and smiled to everyone, even me. I saw him spy K and he ambled over; they greeted each other with a kiss and Perri grasped his hand like she didn't want to let me go. Grid Reaper and Renny broke off and gave them a little space.

~o~

FastJack stood in front of Cap's body. The crowd was silent, the music hashed, and we huddled in a rough circle around the stage to hear him speak. The bartender made the rounds in the meat with a tray of champagne glasses.

"Friends and colleagues, thank you for coming. I know for some of you it wasn't easy." FastJack paused to receive a glass himself. "It is traditional at a wake to say a prayer for the departed. Given our friend's beliefs, however, we've chosen not to have a priest or shaman here to lead us. Instead, I have been asked to say a few words."

"Most of you know him as the SysOp of Shadowland Seattle. Shadowland and Captain Chaos weathered many assaults over the years, from Aztlan and the Tirs, bug spirits and artificial intelligences and the rogue otaku. For many of us, he was Shadowland: the freedom of information, the encouragement to think for ourselves, the courage to face those forces that would keep us ignorant and deny them at every turn, whatever the cost.

"His principles did cost him. Not just his earthly existence, but his life. Unlike some of us, Captain Chaos was not born to the shadows, but choose this path. Cap was born into a family that lived within the system, he received the benefits of being a SINner raised by SINners: health, education, safety, the prospects of a full, secure life slaved to a wage. Instead, he rejected that life. It cost him his family, and shadowed many of the personal relationships he had. He never married, or had children. Many times before, it was Cap that stood where I am today, making a brief eulogy for one of our friends. We live and die in the shadows, with no one to mark our passing but ourselves, and CC knew that.

"Not long ago, I asked Cap why he chose to lead. CC was a Neo-Anarchist, he did not believe in compulsory government, and yet almost in spite of himself he became a leader, and I know he hated that. He hated ordering people around and telling them what to do, because he spent half of his life giving them the tools to figure it out for themselves, but that's the position he found himself in. He told me 'Damn the man that tells you to think for yourself. Damn me if I don't.'"

Old eyes misted over, holding back tears.

"Tonight we lay to rest our friend and ally Captain Chaos. Tonight, we remember those others who suffered and died when the Matrix crashed."

FastJack raised his glass.

"A toast. To Captain Chaos, and absent friends."

K raised her glass "To absent friends." she said, and downed her champagne, then threw the glass on the floor. Around her, others followed suit, and we laughed to the music of breaking crystal. With that, the mood in the room was lighter. Winder and Findler-Man were telling jokes about the time Captain Chaos met Damien Knight. Perri and the Japanese girl in corpsepaint were painting some kind of mural on the starscape background, using some sort of program I couldn't identify to place the Captain's face amid the constellations.

~o~

One by one, we made our way up to Cap's icon. His wishes had been clear: a burial at datasea, so to speak. His personal datafiles - everything on his many harddrives - had been encoded into this icon. Every member present took a part of his code with us, the icon slowly de-rezzing and dissolving as Cap's legacy was dispersed. Parts of it would be backed up in the Nexus, or mirrored on whatever other data havens had survived. A few would languish in hidden data nodes until rediscovered. It felt fitting, in a way, like he had become part of the Matrix.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 17)
Mickle5125
post Nov 29 2009, 04:18 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 14,433

Well written, AH. Thanks for bringing a bit o' closure for the rest of us!

+Quote Post
Nexushound
post Nov 29 2009, 05:10 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,861

Bravo! A fitting ceremony for the Captain.

+Quote Post
Trigger
post Nov 29 2009, 05:30 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 10,215

I feel like I should be getting drunk in the Captain's name after reading that.

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Nov 29 2009, 06:18 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 16,449

Hoorah... Nicely written Ancient.

Absent friends indeed.

*Drains a real glass of scotch.*

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Nov 29 2009, 06:37 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,426

Thanks, man.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Nov 29 2009, 10:30 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

I was riveted reading that.

Mazeltov Cap.

- J.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 29 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Danke. I was kinda surprised Cap himself didn't show up at the end, but I think that would have been too cheesy.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Nov 29 2009, 03:51 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Truly a well-done send-off for Cap. *raises a glass* To Absent Freinds, In Memory Still Bright.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 29 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Exceptional Eulogy Ancient... Thanks a Million... *Raises a Glass* "Farewell Captain"

+Quote Post
The Dragon Girl
post Nov 29 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,410

This is a beautiful piece

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Nov 29 2009, 09:45 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

I only know who Captain Chaos is from the wiki and FastJack's intro to History Lesson for the Reality Impaired and I've only read SR4 and related fluff, but even I feel sad about his death.

+Quote Post
SincereAgape
post Nov 29 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,610

Thanks for sharing this AH.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Nov 29 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

I like it.

+Quote Post
Kumo
post Nov 30 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,594

Thanks a lot.
CC was a great one - 6th World is not the same without him.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Nov 30 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

I will second that getting drunk after reading that suggestion.

But again, what happened to Cap's online presence?

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 30 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (darthmord @ Nov 30 2009, 01:58 PM) *
I will second that getting drunk after reading that suggestion.

But again, what happened to Cap's online presence?

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Dec 1 2009, 12:28 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I will third getting drunk--or at least, it does feel like I should be drinking something. I'm not really an alcohol person.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.