IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yamakasi Shadowrunner, The path of the Strong Body.
Werewindlefr
post Nov 29 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,844

Hello to all Dumpshocked.

I've been working on a Shadowrun character concept and I would like some feedback and improvement from the Dumpshock community. The character concept is "the parkour practitioner", and more accurately the "Yamakasi". The runner would use his talents, combined with a bit of adept masking, to escape chases after a run or to become a highly efficient courier, hard to track through magical means, difficult to chase with a vehicle because of a low signature and of an ability to travel quickly over difficult terrain (jumping from rooftop to rooftop, for instance).

The point is to reasonably "optimize" the character while still making it playable in standard Shadowrun sessions, and while staying true to the philosophy of the Yamakasi. In essence, to create a deep character but make it quite efficient at parkour and escaping pursuers, without resorting to munchkinism.

So, here's the prototype:

Metatype: Ork (Yamakasi is mostly practiced in lower-class neighborhoods)
Special: Adept

Attributes:

Body 5
Agility 5
Reaction 4
Strength 6
Charisma 3
Intuition 3
Logic 2
Willpower 2
Edge 3
Magic 6

Skills:

Outdoors (Group) 1
Stealth (Group) 3
Climbing 4
Swimming 1
Escape Artist 2

Unarmed Combat 3
Pistols 2
Running 5
Sp: Urban
Gymnastics 5
Sp: Parkour

Positive Qualities:

Astral Chameleon (to escape magical detection; the point is to lose pursuers.)
Natural Athlete
Sense of Direction

Negative Qualities:

Thrill Seeker
Distinctive Style (2)
Pacifist (Goes rather well with the Yamakasi philosophy)
Hunted Level 2
Liar

Adept Powers:

Wall Running
Traceless Walk
Gliding
Freefall 3
Great Leap 3
Attribute Boost [Bod]
Attribute Boost [Agi]
Attribute Boost [Rea]
Attribute Boost [Str]
Iron Lungs
Improved Sense [Direction]

15000 nuyens and 6 (free) points for contacts (2*charisma)

What would be appropriate gear and contacts for this character? I've though of giving him a Roomsweeper with Shock Locks (to avoid being slowed down by doors) along with a standard pistol, like a predator. What else should he consider getting?

As it stands, the character seems reasonably good at a variety of athletic feats, mostly running, climbing and gymnastics. The goal being to go as fast as possible over a large distance with obstacles, the whole trip involving climbing, jumping and other acrobatic feats, so as to make the path as short as possible or to lose pursuers. How can I improve this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trigger
post Nov 30 2009, 01:37 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 10,215

I built a character a while back, along the same flavor as this one, except I highlighted his powers with about a Essence Point's worth of Bioware. Just giving you another thought on the build:

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 30 2009, 01:52 AM
Post #3

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

When does a "Parkour" specialization of Gymnastics come into effect, and when doesn't it? It seems to me that one could conceivable attempt to use it for four out of the five canon Gymnastics specializations (balance, breakfall, jumping and tumbling). That seems a little off.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Nov 30 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

A satyr would have an advantage, since their legs give them both a higher movement rate and a bonus to gymnastics rolls. I mention that because it might still fit in with your general idea. SURGE with celerity, or bioware, would probably be outside of what you have in mind.

Astral chameleon doesn't do much for an adept - what you want to avoid astral detection is murky link. It's 5 points more, but you could get rid of natural athlete (which provides a pretty minuscule bonus for the price) and get double-jointed instead - that's the only gap in his parkour abilities, something to let him navigate tight places and small openings.

Attribute boosts take a simple action to use, and have a duration of rounds - four of them is a bit much, even if you don't plan on trying to use them all at once.

Great leap increases the distance that you can jump, but improved ability/gymnastics is more versatile.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Nov 30 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

I see a big problem with your concept: no matter how awesome you are, you will never be able to challenge an air spirit or a levitating mage boosted with a Movement power. When it's so easy to fly, running is not enough.

+Quote Post
McCummhail
post Nov 30 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,452

I also had a similar character.
I had fun chroming him out instead of going the adept route.

QUOTE (Traul @ Nov 29 2009, 08:58 PM) *
I see a big problem with your concept: no matter how awesome you are, you will never be able to challenge an air spirit or a levitating mage boosted with a Movement power. When it's so easy to fly, running is not enough.

I wasn't a pacifist, however, and longarms have pretty good synergy with the ability to get almost anywhere quickly.
Also, a mage floating in the air is not dissimilar from skeet to a guy with a shotgun.

Cover is interesting when you have the ability to find cover almost anywhere and the ability to pass cover with ease.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 30 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #7

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (Traul @ Nov 29 2009, 08:58 PM) *

Running is enough against the 99.99% of the population that can't fly.

+Quote Post
bernardo
post Dec 7 2009, 04:57 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 16,674

I also built a similar character once: a satyr parkour and savateur adept who uses his talents as a second story artist. Quite capable at field recon or even surveillance or shadowing someone from rooftops.

He was discussed here (may give you some ideas): http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=24734

Character Profile
[ Spoiler ]

Character Stats
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Dec 7 2009, 05:53 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

Some gadgets and equipment suggestions :
* a taser. If you're pacifist, it's a good way to neutralized troubles without killing them
* spray can/grenade of low friction gel - leave some of that in the right place behind you, and they'll have an even harder time than usual following you
* urban explorer armor suit seems a natural fit character. Though 'distinctive style' means it's probably about as customized and subtle as a pimpmobile.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:01 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.