> Magicians in SR4
pvanoverwalle
post Nov 30 2009, 06:50 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,468

Hey all,

Our playing group started playing a SR4 campaign a while back and we've been struggling with some questions regarding Magicians and most notably when they are able to cast which spells, so I'm coming here for some insight from other players/GMs.

When a mage is active on the physical plane, it's a no-brainer. He can cast both M(ana) and P(hysical) spells at any physical target he can see.

When that mage is still active on the physical plane, but using Astral Perception, it seems he can cast only M spells at targets he can see and affect on the astral plane (but has a chance to be alerted to anything happening on the physical plane around his body).

Then, when the mage is actually leaving his body behind on the physical plane and using Astral projection, we think he can again only cast M spells at targets he can see and affect on the astral plane.

But, and here is our real puzzle, what happens when that astrally projecting mage is Manifesting itself from the astral plane into the physical plane. Which spells can he cast then (on targets in the physical plane) ? Our opinions vary from all spells to none at all.

Several of us have scanned the rulebook over and over, but we've been unable to come up with hard rules on this. May I ask for your opinions and the way this is handled in your playing groups ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give !

- P -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kzt
post Nov 30 2009, 06:55 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

When you are astrally perceiving you are dual natured and can target (and be targeted from) both the astral and physical. When you are astrally projecting you are ONLY on the astral. Manifesting doesn't change this, you are still on the astral and can only attack and be attacked from the astral.

Only something that has the power of materialization can appear on the physical from the astral. And then it's not projecting, it's astrally traveling.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 30 2009, 06:55 AM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

manifestation is not the same as materialization, the power spirits use to become a physical being.

iirc, a manifesting magican cant even be picked up by cameras or other technological gear, as its a purely psychic effect.

think of it as a kind of magical "hologram".

heh, ninja-ed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 30 2009, 07:13 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Nov 30 2009, 01:55 AM) *
think of it as a kind of magical "hologram".

Luke... Luke! You will go to the Dagobah system. There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me.

+Quote Post
Nexushound
post Nov 30 2009, 07:57 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,861

Oi Chums,

PG. 193 4th Ed A is the paragraph on Manifesting. PG. 184 BBB if you don't have Aniversery. It says that unlike the Materialization Powers of pirits manifesting does not create a physical form. So you can't do squat except make scary ghost sounds and float around. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotate.gif)

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Nov 30 2009, 02:03 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

Here's a chart of how spells interact with the Physical & Astral.

Enjoy.

Physical:
- Cast Mana spells on Physical Targets
- Cast Physical spells on Physical Targets

Astral Perception:
- Cast Mana spells on Physical Targets
- Cast Mana spells on Astral Targets
- Cast Physical spells on Physical Targets

Astral Projection:
- Cast Mana spells on Astral Targets

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 30 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Nexushound @ Nov 30 2009, 02:57 AM) *
It says that unlike the Manifestation Powers of pirits

No it does not say that. Go read it again.

"Unlike the Materialization power of spirits" (bolding added for emphasis)

Materialization is the power spirits use to have a solid presence in meatspace.

Manifestation is what spirits and astral projecting beings use if they want to communicate with a living being in meatspace without actually being there.

These are two different concepts, with two different names that happen to share the same first two letters. Take care when reading about them or talking about them, because if you mix the two up, confusion reigns.

(However, everything else in your post about astrally projecting mages not being able to do squat in meatspace is an accurate description of any being using Manifestation.)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 30 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i do wonder if those two words walk into the trap of having the same first and last letter, and so triggers much the same function as what makes us able to read a word even when all but first and last letter are in scrambled positions...

+Quote Post
Nexushound
post Dec 1 2009, 12:53 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,861

Oi Chums,

I did put down the wrong word. Sorry will check my posts more thouroughly next time.

+Quote Post
Dreadlord
post Dec 1 2009, 09:55 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,959

This came up in my game, and I did all the research exhaustively, and came to the same conclusion. Manifesting gains an astrally projecting mage NOTHING. People on the Physical Plane can see and hear you now. That's it, period. I like the "Magic Hologram" idea, it sums it up perfectly!
CONCEPT STOLEN FOR MY PLAYERS!

+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2009, 02:01 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 326

QUOTE (Dreadlord @ Dec 1 2009, 10:55 PM) *
This came up in my game, and I did all the research exhaustively, and came to the same conclusion. Manifesting gains an astrally projecting mage NOTHING. People on the Physical Plane can see and hear you now. That's it, period.

That's how it's always been, unless I've been running it wrong. SR2 might be a partial exception if manifestation allows for "grounding."

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Dec 2 2009, 03:43 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

I wish there was a freakin sidebar to clarify this in SR4A.

Maybe next reprint... ?

- J.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.