IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to make a Lightsaber., In the sixth world.
Tech_Rat
post Dec 7 2009, 06:30 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,910

For your character to have a lightsaber, it's usually a good idea to give them some engineering skills.

A hilt filled with wound monowire and a nanite hive, the nanites pre-programmed to take a straightline crystalline form[the 'blade'] connected via monowire. Give the monowire a nice dip in some electro-luminescent dye...

The nanites connect to the monowire and spin them, creating the ever shifting cutting surface and the 'hum'. The nanites are held in an electromagnetic field[the nanites have both polarity magnets built in to each one to attract and repel each other] Once you switch it on and the electricity starts pumping through it, it llights up, hums, an springs to life. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 7 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

We did experiment with rules for laserswords and such, but ultimately decided that the demand wasn't there.

+Quote Post
Tech_Rat
post Dec 7 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,910

This is more for the groups that have GMs who allow the PCs to have what they want, provided they can come up with how to actually implement it/design the tech/etc.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Dec 7 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 7 2009, 03:34 PM) *
We did experiment with rules for laserswords and such, but ultimately decided that the demand wasn't there.

Yeah, the mystic adepts who think they are Jedi are annoying enough (not that I don't like Star Wars, I do, but I just think that lightsabers don't fit in Shadowrun).

+Quote Post
otakusensei
post Dec 7 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,514

Lightsabers are the kind of thing someone always asks about when they start playing, and then forget about once they settle into the setting. I have yet to find someone who's unhappy with the selection of melee weapons once they settle into a firm understanding of the setting.

Besides, there's always any number of other games that come with lightsabers preinstalled. Some of them even cause cancer...

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Dec 7 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

My one regret when introducing the Odd ball micro paradigm of Jedi is that I gave them a unqiue spell light sabre rather than just monoswords/sword foci across the board.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 7 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

To be absolutely honest, "Jedi" should be a very valid tradition in the Sixth World, cheesy as it is. There's large groups of people following it as a religion now. Just imagine how that would grow the moment telekinesis, mind control, and swords with Energy Aura (Light) became a reality. I imagine it would be far more popular than a good many traditions listed in Street Magic.

That said, the best way to go about it is to just get a fancy-schmancy hilt, enchant it as a sustaining focus, and build a possession-based tradition around the Jedi philosophy. Force ghosts never actually materialized, only manifested, and their possession could be described as "guiding you with the Force."

Then whenever you want to activate your lightsaber, just cast [Element] Aura: Light, toss it into the sustaining focus, and have fun. Just describe the physical effect of the spell as your lightsaber lighting up, but use all the rules for the spell as written. If you want to make it more effective, take up Armory and "invent" a Telescoping Staff version of a Sword and use that as the focus instead.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Dec 7 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Building a lightsaber is actually quite easy with the rules as they stand.

1) Extendable Baton + Inhabitation Spirit with the Energy Aura (Light) power.

2) Hilt with an Inhabitation Spirit with Energy Aura (Light) and Natural Weapon.

But I do agree with other posters, lightsabers simply don't fit the setting very well.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 7 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

That technically won't work as written. Energy Aura requires that the spirit itself would have to be making the attacks, which it either cannot do (by being inanimate) or requires that its fighting on its own (ie, not in the "Jedi's" hands) depending on the type of inhabitation being used. Thus it wouldn't be a lightsaber either way, except maybe looking like one.

You also can't have an Inhabitation Spirit without first initiating and taking the Ally Conjuration metamagic. So it's right out during character creation using the basic rules. You'd need a possession tradition to pull it off without initiation.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Dec 7 2009, 08:33 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Wrong on both counts.

1) Energy Aura also works when something hits the spirit. If you hit someone with a spirit, you are causing them to hit the spirit - hence, damage.

2) Free spirits, yo. I detail how to get them easysauce in my signature. Costs like 800 nY for a F1. And there's a huge difference between Possession and Inhabitation.

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Dec 7 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,426

A Lightsaber has three features that make it desirable:

1) Aesthetics - 'nuff said.

2) Vorpal - A Lightsaber will cut through anything short of a plot device or another lightsaber - they're awesomely overpowered. There's no rational game mechanic that could be applied here that would allow for game balance and properly execute the effect. (e.g. Slicing through an ATAT that blasters wouldn't scratch (one handed, in one swing) and making a hole big enough to toss a grenade in)

3) Bullet Immunity - A Jedi can use the Lightsaber to deflect Blasters, the de facto firearm in that universe. With training, a Jedi is functionally invincible when facing ranged fighters. This would actually be an interesting effect to try and write in - allow an adept to add something to a Total Defense roll based on the weapon's special ability to deflect bullets. I might have to work that in...

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 7 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #12

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Or you could just go play Star Wars instead.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 7 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 7 2009, 02:33 PM) *
Wrong on both counts.

'Fraid not.

1) Energy Aura also works when something hits the spirit. If you hit someone with a spirit, you are causing them to hit the spirit - hence, damage.

Again, 'fraid not. Someone has to hit the weapon in that case, which by the rules means they're trying to do something like Parry, Riposte or Disarm you. It doesn't apply in normal circumstances, sorry to say. By your logic, any critter gets to damage someone twice every time they make an attack: Once with the +4 DV bonus, the other with the full brunt of the power because they're "causing them to hit the spirit."

2) Free spirits, yo. I detail how to get them easysauce in my signature. Costs like 800 nY for a F1.

The most useless thing in the world: A force 1 spirit. Considering, you know, a background count of 1 is painfully common, especially in a metroplex. Hit it once and the spirit is disrupted. Yay. Additionally, most GMs wouldn't allow a player to have a free spirit at their beck and call regardless of what the rules say. Your fanaticism on the topic notwithstanding.

And there's a huge difference between Possession and Inhabitation.

Uhm, duh? But possession spirits are available at character creation. Inhabitation ones are not without twisted, obscure rules that are heavily reliant on GM approval.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 7 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #14

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

3) Bullet Immunity - A Jedi can use the Lightsaber to deflect Blasters, the de facto firearm in that universe.

Note that only energy-blasts seem to be able to be deflected.
BLASTER Blasts are plasma. Not Laser. Laser is moving at speed of light, which even a jedi cannot achieve.
Try shooting full auto flechette. Or maybe a simple burst Fire Shotgun.
or this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2587/405017...a95c60cf7_o.gif

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Dec 7 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

QUOTE (otakusensei @ Dec 7 2009, 03:54 PM) *
Lightsabers are the kind of thing someone always asks about when they start playing, and then forget about once they settle into the setting. I have yet to find someone who's unhappy with the selection of melee weapons once they settle into a firm understanding of the setting.

Besides, there's always any number of other games that come with lightsabers preinstalled. Some of them even cause cancer...

This reminds me of waaay back when, when I was very new to SR, a friend of mine wanted to play a four-armed street sam wielding quad-Uzi III's. In SR1. Good times, good times.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Dec 7 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

QUOTE (Critias @ Dec 7 2009, 11:07 PM) *
Or you could just go play Star Wars instead.

If there is going to light sabres then people will have to accept everything else that belongs to Star Wars, including Ewoks and the Star Wars Christmas Special.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 7 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #17

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (crash2029 @ Dec 7 2009, 11:12 PM) *
This reminds me of waaay back when, when I was very new to SR, a friend of mine wanted to play a four-armed street sam wielding quad-Uzi III's. In SR1. Good times, good times.

In $R4.5, that's a playable, if something undesireable, character . .

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Dec 8 2009, 02:16 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Dec 7 2009, 03:39 PM) *
Again, 'fraid not. Someone has to hit the weapon in that case, which by the rules means they're trying to do something like Parry, Riposte or Disarm you. It doesn't apply in normal circumstances, sorry to say. By your logic, any critter gets to damage someone twice every time they make an attack: Once with the +4 DV bonus, the other with the full brunt of the power because they're "causing them to hit the spirit."

Really? What about the "Metahuman Body" improvised weapon? What happens when you forcefully smash a spirit into someone? I'd think that their aura would kick in, and that's what is happening in this case.

The most useless thing in the world: A force 1 spirit. Considering, you know, a background count of 1 is painfully common, especially in a metroplex. Hit it once and the spirit is disrupted. Yay. Additionally, most GMs wouldn't allow a player to have a free spirit at their beck and call regardless of what the rules say. Your fanaticism on the topic notwithstanding.

Have you polled "most GMs"? That's your belief, not your knowledge. Also, BC is not painfully common, otherwise there would be a slurry of cited sections of BC-1 areas in all of the sourcebooks, which there is not. Now, I know, the effects that cause BC-1 are common, but that does not neccessarily mean that BC-1 is everywhere or pervasive.

Uhm, duh? But possession spirits are available at character creation. Inhabitation ones are not without twisted, obscure rules that are heavily reliant on GM approval.

The rules for them are neither twised nor obscure, and are available to all characters as soon as before their first run is over. Now, I will agree that they are heavily reliant on GM approval, but everything in the game to one extent or another is reliant on GM approval, so that is a moot point.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 8 2009, 03:40 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

<shrugs> Think what you want. It neither works according to the rules nor without significant GM intervention to make it possible. Whereas a Sustaining Focus and [Element] Aura: Light is both significantly easier to achieve and perfectly valid. The only "handwaving" with it is the description of the effect, which is also perfectly valid.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Dec 8 2009, 03:51 AM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Inhabitation Traditions should never be allowed to Player Characters... Ever...
Just Sayin'

But if you prefer, then go for it... just don't complain to much when the inhabiting spirit takes over permanently and creates a flesh form or something else equally nasty...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Dec 8 2009, 08:16 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

My idea on how to make a lightsaber in Shadowrun:

Mage Blade (F/2 + 6) Manipulation Spell
  • Physical Spell: +1
  • Range: -2 (caster must be holding the blade)
  • Duration: +0
  • Manipulation Spell: Physical Damage: Elemental Effect: +2
  • "Fudge Factor"*: +5 (allows wielder to use the blade without having to have Exotic Melee: Mage Blade)

Spell Description: This spell creates a "blade" of force with a elemental effect of light. This spell can be used to parry physical weapons. It creates a blade with a damage code of (Force/2 + 4)P, AP -1, a reach of 1, and has the "Light" elemental effect

* == this was thrown in to make it so the darn thing wasn't too cheesy
-------------------------------

Use this spell in a sustaining foci and have at it.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Dec 8 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #22

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

Make it fetish-reliant as well. It could reduce the drain.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Dec 8 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Dec 8 2009, 03:35 AM) *
Make it fetish-reliant as well. It could reduce the drain.

Yup. I when I was creating the spell I wanted to make sure it was fair and balanced. I didn't want a "OMGWTFPWND!" spell.

I wanted something that fit the "flavor" of a lightsaber, but made the caster think: "Do I want to cast this spell or would something else be better?"

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Dec 8 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

And take away the "fudge factor"... i mean, REALLY? There are no spells which just "on the side" give you skills. If you want to swing it around, LEARN it.

Well, i would just have that spell in force 12 anchored into an hilt, with a "analyze thought" spell as a trigger. If you WANT it to light up: BAM you have a DV12 Blade, with elemental effect. Should tear through nearly anything. Of course for that thing you would need an enchanter with anchoring and at least 12 spare karma... best 24 (You don't want it to get disenchanted so easily, now do you?) So prepare for maximum cash drainage on that. Maybe 80.000 or more? (EDIT: Ah make it 160.000)

But i would say this weapon is surely very impressive and useful... i guess a few insanely good payed Ki-Assassins and some Execs would have one.

+Quote Post
Exocet
post Dec 8 2009, 01:21 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 12,372

I made something similar to KCKitsune's "Mage Blade" in SR3 but requiring a unique focus (bonding karma was the same as for a weapon focus) that would be the lightsaber's hilt.
This had 2 advantages:
A) Jedi fluff: All Jedis must make their own lightsaber (the unique focus couldn't be bought/found anywhere).
B) Expensive: Not only you have to pay karma and nuyen to make the focus, but you must also pay karma (and possibly nuyen too) to train the Talismongering and Enchanting skills. So no wanna-be-Jedi will ask for a lightsaber unless he REALLY REALLY wants one.

I can't find the drain code I came up with, but it actually wasn't that high. Take into account I included the lightsaber sounds in the formula so the maintained spell completely ruined stealth.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:41 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.