IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AI-Walker Drone VS Jarhead-Walker Drone, What would be better ?
Delarn
post Dec 15 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,963

What would be better for a player concept: AI-Walker Drone or Jarhead-Walker Drone ... I could also add the Biodrone-Clone Metavariant X ...

What do you think ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 15 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 98

They're all interesting player concepts. With the AI/"didn't start as human" concept, you can explore some of the inhuman elements of the character while interacting with others, whereas with the jarhead you can explore the separation from what the character used to be, and how it affects them.

Basically, whichever of those seems more interesting, go for it.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Dec 15 2009, 07:00 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

The big problem is the Drone/Cyborg body. There is no rule to generate a Drone from scratch and using cyberwares is too expensive.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 15 2009, 07:38 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 98

Arsenal has a couple of cyborg bodies in it. If you're looking for something beyond those, just knock together one with your GM.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Dec 15 2009, 07:41 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

I'm the GM, and I have no idea on pricing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) My player wants to upgrade a Steel Lynx to a Walker with a Body boost of 5 minimum.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Dec 15 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

The problem for the jarhead is getting the CCU and the cyborg adaptation. Even with In debt this leaves only 15kĄ for the body and other gear. This makes it pretty much impossible.

I don't know how it works pointwise with the AI, but conceptwise both are interesting.

The other thing to consider is why wouldn't your teammates sell you to the highest bidder especially if you're an AI. As jarhead you are at the mercy of your teammates or other contacts as well.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Dec 15 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Yeah, but if the other player have no idea of what is happening with that player. they could think : 1 Cyberware addict, 2 some awesome implants he got.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Dec 15 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Dec 15 2009, 08:47 PM) *
The problem for the jarhead is getting the CCU and the cyborg adaptation. Even with In debt this leaves only 15kĄ for the body and other gear. This makes it pretty much impossible.

CCU: 250k
Otomo drone body: 150k
Access to delta clinic and cutting-edge tech right out of R&D: Priceless

Cyborgs clearly belong to the things money can't buy, and unlike AIs they don't just pop up somewhere.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Dec 15 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

You are right, but I just realized that it is actually doable if not effective for net 20 BP (50 BP -30 BP for In Debt):
CCU 250kĄ, Steel Lynx 5kĄ, Cyborg Adaptation 15kĄ, Walker Mode 2kĄ, Ingram White Knight 2kĄ and 6k worth of other stuff. Unfortunately you cannot add mechanical arms without overmodding the Steel Lynx.

P. 162 of Augmentation gives some further guidelines if a GM wants to allow such a concept as PC.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Dec 16 2009, 12:03 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

QUOTE (Delarn @ Dec 15 2009, 06:37 PM) *
What would be better for a player concept: AI-Walker Drone or Jarhead-Walker Drone ... I could also add the Biodrone-Clone Metavariant X ...

What do you think ?

Jarbrains have a whole lot of downsides for being basicaly a very adaptable agent/pilot, AIs don't and they add half of their rating to their home node allowing better performance to the drone; also the Jairbrain has been created by someone and requires a alot of mantainance meaning that it is going to have an owner while the AI could have just inhabited a shell .. hmm I mean a drone and got away with it, making much more belivable a career as shadowrunner.

+Quote Post
Moxie
post Dec 16 2009, 12:37 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 17,555

I like the AI better, though like anything its about concept.

I mean, I basically see the cyberzombie being controlled and going, "Nnnngggh braainnnzzz..." all the time, while the AI is a lovable new scamp on the Shadowrunning scene. Basically, one is a NPC use and the other is a fun PC concept to me.

That said... zombies are cool.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Dec 16 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

The renraku manservant at 2500 gives opportunity also.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Dec 16 2009, 01:20 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Dec 16 2009, 12:16 AM) *
You are right, but I just realized that it is actually doable if not effective for net 20 BP (50 BP -30 BP for In Debt):
CCU 250kĄ, Steel Lynx 5kĄ, Cyborg Adaptation 15kĄ, Walker Mode 2kĄ, Ingram White Knight 2kĄ and 6k worth of other stuff.

Plus maintainance and refills of the drug cocktail (2000:nuyen: a week)...

And of course there is still the storyline problem with the fact that a jarhead is a top-of-the-line piece of corporate R&D, so whoever build it will try hard to get it back or at least make sure nobody else gets a chance to reverse engineer their newest tech. Kinda sucks if word of what corp X offers for your canned brain reaches the loan shark you got the 30k from (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
And of course we don't know if a jarhead even can go freelance, remember that they get a huge ammount of brain surgery and conditioning.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Dec 16 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

That is why I am picking the AI. The other problem is the Body !
-Manservant 3 : 2500 but is made to be clumsy enough to not rebels. But drone modification can help.
-Otomo : Best bet but with the 150k not upgraded, it's a little hard on money.
-Bust A Move : Yeah ! 350nY, can accept 1 mod, (Cameleon coating), They can do a good starter for infiltration. (Transmorphing Space Ninjas version)

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Dec 16 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

The problem with the Otomo (and other cyborg-ready drones) is not the price, its the availability of 24. Assuming you're using standard char-gen rules, your character cannot start with them, anyway. Since you're bothering to be hung up on money, modfications, etc, I am assuming you're basically using some form of character generation.

Edit: Oops, just saw that this was regarding another player you are GMing for. Same advice applies. At chargen where the PC might *have* 150K, he can't normally pick items with availability 24. After char-gen, he can get items fo avail-24 (with a ton of rolls, and a long interval) but will have a hard time finding a spare 150,000, and by the time he does, the rest of his team is stinking rich.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Dec 16 2009, 02:11 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

I'm always allowing my character to pick 1 item that has a over 12 availability. But the character concept will be transformed into a npc.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Dec 16 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Then take the bust a move, and ask the GM if it shouldn't have two full arms. Those can be modded like cyberlimbs with the gm's permission. Actually the drone has 4 mod slots (Arsenal p. 129)

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Dec 16 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Transmorphing Space Ninjas (Bust a move) With 2 Arms ... That take up the 4 slots (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif) But a bust a move Doll can take stuff and do heist ... Like in the description, so it already got those arms ?

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Dec 16 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Delarn @ Dec 16 2009, 03:24 PM) *
But a bust a move Doll can take stuff and do heist ... Like in the description, so it already got those arms ?
That's what you should ask your GM. For some reason even the errata which added arms to some drones forgot this one.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Dec 16 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

I've send a message to catalyst ...

+Quote Post
etherial
post Dec 16 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,891

QUOTE (Delarn @ Dec 16 2009, 09:11 AM) *
I'm always allowing my character to pick 1 item that has a over 12 availability. But the character concept will be transformed into a npc.

3 items up to 20 Availability can be bought via the Restricted Gear Quality.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Dec 16 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

If the item can be critical to a character concept I tend to use the Second hand house rule also. Damaged, but can be repaired with the good skills. In a previous game a Character wanted to build a T80 from the russian army (Tank) so he bought a facility to be able to rebuild the thing. I allowed him to buy the bare hull in second hand (frame only)

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Dec 16 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Lets return to the topic :

So with the non-official rules by catalyst on the mater of body boost ( http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=29209 ).
Let's think about the possibility of a "Bust-A-Move" drone, but looking like a Ironman-Hulk buster of 24".

It would be slow, so I have to find an upgrade that make it quicker !

+Quote Post
Moxie
post Dec 16 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 17,555

Mecha

Maybe you'd like a mecha instead? Robots the size of trolls are fun too.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Dec 16 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Who would like to destroy a toy ? Even if the toy wield an Are pred with 2 hands ...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.