IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Custom Lifestyles, And starting cash...
Falar
post Dec 30 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,000

I'm just full of questions ... mainly because I've never figured out a place to get them answered other than myself. I've got a bit more rules knowledge than my GM even. But there was this question ...

When you do a custom lifestyle, how do you determine starting cash?

What I've always done is take the starting cash for the closest two levels, rolled, calculated, and averaged the result to get starting cash, but I'm wondering if there's a more supported method ... and just what other people do.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D2F
post Dec 30 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,001

QUOTE (Falar @ Dec 30 2009, 09:49 PM) *
I'm just full of questions ... mainly because I've never figured out a place to get them answered other than myself. I've got a bit more rules knowledge than my GM even. But there was this question ...

When you do a custom lifestyle, how do you determine starting cash?

What I've always done is take the starting cash for the closest two levels, rolled, calculated, and averaged the result to get starting cash, but I'm wondering if there's a more supported method ... and just what other people do.

The Build point table for custome lifestyles provides you with the threshold level for each category:

<5: Street
5 or higher: Squatter
10 or higher: Low
15 or higher: Middle
20 or higher: High
30 or higher: Luxury

I would use those.

+Quote Post
Falar
post Dec 30 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #3

Target

So if you're almost at Middle, you use Low?

(As an aside: I'm not that dumb, but I love having things fully clarified out to the 18th decimal point. Under a blue moon.)

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Dec 30 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

If you sum 12 lifestyle points, you would be living on Low

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Dec 30 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #5

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

10 through 14 use Low
at 15 use Middle

+Quote Post
LivingOxymoron
post Dec 31 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,905

QUOTE (Falar @ Dec 30 2009, 01:15 PM) *
So if you're almost at Middle, you use Low?

(As an aside: I'm not that dumb, but I love having things fully clarified out to the 18th decimal point. Under a blue moon.)

And I as a GM would say, "Yes. Find a one point quality if you REALLY want your starting cash to be SLIGHTLY higher."

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Dec 31 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

As a semi-official answer, I will say that you get the starting cash of your lifestyle (as D2F states), and if you are almost at Middle, you still get Low. That's how Adam and I have answered in the past when this question comes up (as the two authors who wrote Lifestyles rules).

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Dec 31 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

Actually the answer is in RC. It says to use the value associated with your base lifestyle (Ie, before qualities). It doesn't mention rounding up or down, but I figure you'd always go down. So a lifestyle with 4 'high' categories and 1 middle would roll on middle, though you could perhaps convince your GM to count it as high.

+Quote Post
JoelHalpern
post Dec 31 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,177

But do the qualities count, or not? -- Joel

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Dec 31 2009, 08:38 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

QUOTE (JoelHalpern @ Dec 31 2009, 03:30 PM) *
But do the qualities count, or not? -- Joel

No, that's what I just said.

It says to use the value associated with your base lifestyle (Ie, before qualities).

+Quote Post
Falar
post Dec 31 2009, 08:38 PM
Post #11

Target

QUOTE (Karoline @ Dec 31 2009, 01:26 PM) *
Actually the answer is in RC. It says to use the value associated with your base lifestyle (Ie, before qualities). It doesn't mention rounding up or down, but I figure you'd always go down. So a lifestyle with 4 'high' categories and 1 middle would roll on middle, though you could perhaps convince your GM to count it as high.

Is there a Runner's Companion errata that I've missed downloading somewhere? 'Cause I read almost the entire chapter and can't find it.

Although now I have my question answered and can rule correctly whenever I do run a game. Yay! (If I ever run a game.)

EDIT: I do miss the heck out of things sometimes. 'Cause I missed for the longest time the markup that contacts give you for goods until someone pointed it out.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Dec 31 2009, 08:55 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

I can't find it now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif) I just checked because I knew someone would ask, but I can't for the life of me find it now.... I think it might be somewhere obscure, like a sidebar or something because I didn't realize the rule was in there for a long time, then I suddenly found it while reading around one day and now I can't find it again.... maybe it only appears when you really need it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:51 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.