Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SURGE class ... over 3 ?
Delarn
post Jan 3 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,963

Is there a Surge Class over 3 ? I would like to know if para-Critter powers could be added to the metagenic list.

I would also want to know what happened to all the genetic mods from SR3 ? And if some of you remember the awesome house rule for mutant in SR 2 ? There was a lot of stuff in there and most of our Characters in SR2 ended up being Gene Freak at the end.

It had much more metagenic and also included some awakened features.

(Like the innate spell critter power)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Jan 4 2010, 03:31 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

No one remember ?

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jan 4 2010, 03:42 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I would be careful about any house rules adding critter powers to the SURGE qualities, as some of them could be difficult to balance.

You can get metagenetic qualities beyond SURGE III, but positive qualities over 30 points, or negative qualities over 15 points, both count against the 35 point limit. SURGE III itself counts as 15 points towards the positive quality limit. Still, that means that if you took nothing but metagenetic qualities, you could have 50 points of positive and 50 points of negative qualities, which should be enough for most SURGE concepts.

Augmentation has rules for transgenic modifications.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jan 4 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

There is no Class above 3 but you can add more Surge Qualities (15 for Surge III Plus another 20 Points ) up to your Maximum of 35 Pts

with a mutated Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jan 4 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

QUOTE (Page 73 @ RC)
Class III SURGE (15 BP):
Class III includes the most severe modifications. Characters with this SURGE level have usually undergone serious and often painful transformations. The gamemaster and character should think of a certain theme (like one of the beastmen, plant-human hybrids, or Ganesha-type changelings described in the fiction) and choose appropriate Metagenetic qualities from the list or make up their own as they deem fit. The character must take at least 30 BP worth of Positive Metagenetic qualities and 15 BP worth of Negative Metagenetic qualities.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jan 4 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

Hmmm...would you allow to let somebody take more positive metagenetic qualities if he accepts to get the same amount in negative qualities and so ignoring the maximum of 35BP in qualities?

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jan 4 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

No !
If he gets Surge III (thus 30 Points in pos. Surge Qualities and 15 in Negative) for 15 Points plus 20 for his Maximum of 35
than he's allready more than enough in Surge Qualities

with more than enough Dances
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Jan 4 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

That's not what I meant. The character took Latent Surge Quality. He got in contact with a big mana pool and Transformed using the edge roll. He rolled 6 ou of 6 succes ... But 3 only give surge Class 3 ... Should I had some perk to it because he got more hits ?

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jan 4 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Should I had some perk to it because he got more hits ?
If you want to.... Hey its your Game
(The RPG-Police is busy arresting "The Black Eye-Players" that don't want to Railroad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) )
By Raw there is no higher Class than 3, but If you and your Players are Ok with it,than do it

HougH!
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Jan 4 2010, 03:46 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Then he'll get a second "Test" when he encouter a big magic dose !

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Jan 4 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,811

QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 3 2010, 06:55 PM) *
Is there a Surge Class over 3 ? I would like to know if para-Critter powers could be added to the metagenic list.

I would also want to know what happened to all the genetic mods from SR3 ? And if some of you remember the awesome house rule for mutant in SR 2 ? There was a lot of stuff in there and most of our Characters in SR2 ended up being Gene Freak at the end.

It had much more metagenic and also included some awakened features.

(Like the innate spell critter power)

If you wanted him to be really mutated you could give him 3 Essence ponits worth of mutations from Running Wild. They cost no BP just Essence. Might really suck if he is a mage though.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Jan 4 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

He's not mutation through toxic manners ... He's Surged ...

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Jan 4 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 4 2010, 11:21 AM) *
He's not mutation through toxic manners ... He's Surged ...

Being Surged is still a mutation, just not one caused by toxicity. If you were looking to make them more freaky at least there are rules to balance it out.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Jan 4 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (BRodda @ Jan 4 2010, 11:18 AM) *
If you wanted him to be really mutated you could give him 3 Essence ponits worth of mutations from Running Wild. They cost no BP just Essence. Might really suck if he is a mage though.

Would really suck if he was anything really. That's half a sammy's essence to get ware with, and even lightly wared people are going to feel the hit on the max essence they can have. Mages loose three magic, but that is actually it. They can initiate and get the magic back, but even deltaware has its limits.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Jan 4 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

The rule is for animals only ...

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jan 4 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 4 2010, 11:38 AM) *

You're allready breaking RAW Rules cause the Limit is Surge Lvl 3
So you may go all the way down.
What about the Player ? Is he Ok with you Mutating him ?

HokaHow
Medicineman

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Jan 4 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 4 2010, 11:38 AM) *

I would consider using that as less rule bending then adding a Surged IV quality. Per RAW there is no way to get the result you were asking for. Still just my opinion.

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Jan 4 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 4 2010, 11:34 AM) *
Would really suck if he was anything really. That's half a sammy's essence to get ware with, and even lightly wared people are going to feel the hit on the max essence they can have. Mages loose three magic, but that is actually it. They can initiate and get the magic back, but even deltaware has its limits.

I had someone ask me if I would let them use the mutation rules for a PC because they wanted to play a poor ganger from Glow City. Couldn't think of a good reason for cyberware, but thought that being mutated made sense.

I would have allowed it too.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Jan 4 2010, 04:45 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

The Player took latent surge qualities ... He surged level 3 but had 6 succes on is edge test ... That's why I'm asking ... but I may have an other thing to do with him ... I gave him minor bad traits ... so he is not so bad ... He got to live has a freak (The character had taken Bias against Changeling. ) He's living a crissis !

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Jan 4 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (BRodda @ Jan 4 2010, 05:44 PM) *
I had someone ask me if I would let them use the mutation rules for a PC because they wanted to play a poor ganger from Glow City. Couldn't think of a good reason for cyberware, but thought that being mutated made sense.

In that specific case I would have accepted it too. But reducing the essence lost to .5 instead of 1.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Jan 4 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (BRodda @ Jan 4 2010, 11:44 AM) *

Well, true, if the mutations are part of your concept/powerups then it would be cool. I was thinking more along the lines of becoming mutated against your will.

Maybe wouldn't even be so bad for a mage if you run on the idea that the essence change happens before you gain your magic and thus start with a magic of 1 at essence 3. Still a real low max, but it could work out well.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Jan 4 2010, 07:24 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Given the Surge III text says "At least" 30 bp of positive and 15 bp of negative traits, there are people who read that as meaning that they can take more than the base 30/15. One ruling I use is to make sure there's always a 15 point spread between the positive and negative totals, to keep the value of the quality the same.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Jan 4 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Jan 4 2010, 07:24 PM) *
Given the Surge III text says "At least" 30 bp of positive and 15 bp of negative traits, there are people who read that as meaning that they can take more than the base 30/15. One ruling I use is to make sure there's always a 15 point spread between the positive and negative totals, to keep the value of the quality the same.

2 point of Positive for 1 point of negative ... It's the basic rule, not the 15 point difference.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 4 2010, 08:32 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 4 2010, 03:21 PM) *
2 point of Positive for 1 point of negative ... It's the basic rule, not the 15 point difference.

Yes, but if someone is taking SURGE III and takes 40 points of positive (+10) and wants them to "not count" towards their qualities limit, they need +10 more points of negative qualities (40 - 25 = 15 = price of quality).

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Jan 4 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Seen like that yes ... But it's after the character creation not before.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:49 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.