IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Something Feels Vaguely Familiar Here, When you've been playing too many RPGs.
ker'ion
post Jan 21 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,927

Supreme Court ruling a landmark for corporate political cash
Corporations can spend freely to support or oppose candidates for president and Congress, the Supreme Court ruled on Thursday in a landmark decision that allows massive sums to be spent to influence future elections.

I think I've been playing too many RPGs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 21 2010, 08:07 PM
Post #2

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Ah, sensationalism alive and well in American media. That first line is incredibly misleading. The ruling allows them to spend independently to run adds for or against a candidate, but giving money directly to a candidate's campaign is still highly regulated (for now). And its interesting to note that Obama's quote is all about the big bad evil corporations, big oil and (oooooh) Wall Street. They barely mention that the same rules (or lack thereof) apply to labor unions, which spent an incredible amount of money to get him elected.

Anyway, to keep this on topic (barely) I would say that the sensationalism is just as "SR" as the corporate money that is going to flood into politics. Best be prepared to see a campaign ad in between every drug ad in 2010...

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Jan 21 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,963

it sound too much like :
M. Johnson : My Client does not want this guy in power. Do what ever you want to blacklist him.
Runner: Like BTL him with prostitutes.
M. Johnson : What ever you want ! Here 2000Y in advance !

+Quote Post
lonewolf23k
post Jan 22 2010, 01:57 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 18,040

Back in the old online edition of Pyramid magazine, there was an article posted "How much for that Congressman?", which describes most of the ways people with lots of money can bribe politicians. Most of them are perfectly legal, like organizing fundraisers, donating to a politician's pet social causes, or even simply buying a copy of that politician's latest biography for every one of your employees as a Christmas gift.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 22 2010, 02:22 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Just a note: 2% of the net profit of ExonMobile in 1 year spent as campaign advertising money would be more money than either candidate spent in the 2008 election combined.

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jan 22 2010, 02:29 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

Couldn't Corps already donate to non-party political entities without limit anyway? So this is pretty much business as usual, but Corporations are now allowed to be more transparent about their partisanship, whereas they were previously mandated to engage in shell games to fund political ads.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Jan 22 2010, 04:11 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

No offense to the Americans here, but I'm so glad I don't live in the US anymore...

- J.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 22 2010, 04:39 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 21 2010, 11:11 PM) *
No offense to the Americans here, but I'm so glad I don't live in the US anymore...

- J.

Yeah, I'm planning on declaring my independence soon.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 22 2010, 04:40 AM
Post #9

Street Doc

Term limits are the answer.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Jan 22 2010, 04:55 AM
Post #10

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

QUOTE (lonewolf23k @ Jan 21 2010, 07:57 PM) *
Back in the old online edition of Pyramid magazine, there was an article posted "How much for that Congressman?", which describes most of the ways people with lots of money can bribe politicians. Most of them are perfectly legal, like organizing fundraisers, donating to a politician's pet social causes, or even simply buying a copy of that politician's latest biography for every one of your employees as a Christmas gift.

yep. that's how books by a wide variety of "famous" (read: useless) people end up on the NYT bestseller list. they are bought in bulk, then sit and rot in warehouses and shelves until someone marks them down. both Barrack Obamas and Sarah Palins books were supposedly top sellers. you ever met anyone who read either?

QUOTE (Method @ Jan 21 2010, 10:40 PM) *
Term limits are the answer.
repealing the 17th amendment would be far more effective IMHO.

also, this thread is getting way offtopic.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 22 2010, 05:02 AM
Post #11

Street Doc

QUOTE (Fix-it @ Jan 21 2010, 08:55 PM) *
Also not a bad idea.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 22 2010, 05:35 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Fix-it @ Jan 21 2010, 11:55 PM) *

How about doing away with the Filibusterer? Did you know that the number of filibusters last year was greater than the sum total of all filibusters from the creation of the USA until 1970*?

*Early Use of the Filibuster

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 22 2010, 05:54 AM
Post #13

Street Doc

Getting rid of the filibuster is a horrible idea. Its entire purpose is to keep the majority in check. I don't want to live in any country where the majority has unchecked power- regardless of which party is in the majority.

+Quote Post
Freejack
post Jan 22 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,709

QUOTE (Fix-it @ Jan 21 2010, 09:55 PM) *
yep. that's how books by a wide variety of "famous" (read: useless) people end up on the NYT bestseller list. they are bought in bulk, then sit and rot in warehouses and shelves until someone marks them down. both Barrack Obamas and Sarah Palins books were supposedly top sellers. you ever met anyone who read either?

I read Obama's book. Of course you probably haven't met me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Carl

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 22 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Method @ Jan 22 2010, 12:54 AM) *
Getting rid of the filibuster is a horrible idea. Its entire purpose is to keep the majority in check. I don't want to live in any country where the majority has unchecked power- regardless of which party is in the majority.

Or we could get nothing done at all.

I do agree that there needs to be something, but the way it is now is not going to work.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jan 22 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #16

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

What the solution is, is to eliminate the idea that a Corporation is a legal person, with all the rights thereof. Kennedy is correct that the current law limits the Corporation's Freedom of Speech. He's wrong (not legally, just ethically) on whether or not Corporations have a genuine right to Freedom of Speech.

Since a corporation will have the resources to actually use this 'freedom' in ways we can't, it has more 'freedom' than we do. It also has a slew of other freedoms we don't. For instance, a corporation can't be put into prison.

Combine that with this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/1...27+News+Feed%29

And you have corporations which have all these powers + run all our critical "government" services + have the ability to dodge all their past trouble through a quick restructuring and name change (which is probably why corps like Renraku don't do their own work. Beyond the fact that Renraku makes more money branding and off-shoring production/design elsewhere, it also means that if Renraku's child corp RANDI corp does something bad, it can be restructured, renamed, remarketed and resold without any fallout to the main Renraku line/name.)

We're running a bit slower than the SR timeline, but give it another few years and maybe another war. We'll have Xe Security (formerly Blackwater) setting up corporate strongholds in the occupied country which operate not under direct US control, or the control of any other corp, but under Xe control, laws and regulations.

Then it's only a matter of time.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Jan 22 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 22 2010, 12:35 AM) *
How about doing away with the Filibusterer? Did you know that the number of filibusters last year was greater than the sum total of all filibusters from the creation of the USA until 1970*?

*Early Use of the Filibuster

I like the filibuster---it encourages good government, which is the one that governs least.

Unfortunately paratisan politics have made the filibuster the norm cause neither party wants to talk to each other anymore. Thye talk past each other instead, and everything is about the next election. I wonder if this is why Rome fell?

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 22 2010, 04:52 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jan 22 2010, 09:50 AM) *
Unfortunately paratisan politics have made the filibuster the norm cause neither party wants to talk to each other anymore.

This. It was a good idea until it became the only idea.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 22 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #19

Street Doc

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jan 22 2010, 06:50 AM) *
I like the filibuster---it encourages good government, which is the one that governs least.
More like this. I'd rather have a government that does nothing than changes everything in the middle of the night on Christmas eve, for example of course. The legislature (especially the senate) was not designed to do things quickly. That's what local governments are for.

... and everything is about the next election.
Exactly. That's why we should have term limits on everything.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jan 22 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Method @ Jan 22 2010, 06:54 AM) *

Most parts of the world don't even know what a filibuster is, we still did not fall back into the Dark Ages (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

As a more on-topic note, my thoughts were "hmmm, in SR that would make our profession poor - corps can donate the money directly instead of sponsoring runners" ^^

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 22 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #21

Street Doc

QUOTE (Sengir @ Jan 22 2010, 10:14 AM) *
Most parts of the world don't even know what a filibuster is, we still did not fall back into the Dark Ages
Well aren't you all so enlightened... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif)

For the record, most of Europe was still using a form of government that originated in the Dark Ages when the U.S. came up with their current system, but whatever.

+Quote Post
ker'ion
post Jan 22 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Be patient. At the rate things are moving, I don't think the U.S. as it is will make it much past it's 250th year, let alone the tricentennial.

+Quote Post
The Overlord
post Jan 22 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 16,893

Upon hearing about the new ruling, I did two things: Raved and screamed obsenities, then though about how the real world is starting to resemble the dystopian, sci-fi, corperate run worlds portrayed in various works. With the way things are going, all we need for RL to mirror SR is a massive cataclysm that brings magic back into the world.

+Quote Post
ker'ion
post Jan 22 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (The Overlord @ Jan 22 2010, 03:19 PM) *
Upon hearing about the new ruling, I did two things: Raved and screamed obsenities, then though about how the real world is starting to resemble the dystopian, sci-fi, corperate run worlds portrayed in various works. With the way things are going, all we need for RL to mirror SR is a massive cataclysm that brings magic back into the world.
I wish!

(everyone has a different idea of what would be fun)

Though William Gibson's world suits me just fine.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jan 22 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #25

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 21 2010, 11:11 PM) *

- J.

No offense to the Australians here, but I'm glad I'll never set foot on your misbegotten country.

Funny how "no offense" works, ain't it?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.