IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Commlink security for non-hackers, What do I need and how much should I worry?
Tanegar
post Jan 23 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,731

A top-shelf stock commlink (Fairlight Caliban) running the top-shelf stock OS (Novatech Navi), has Response 4, Signal 5, Firewall 3 and System 4. For a character who is not a hacker, what should I add to this? Does standalone Firewall software supplant or stack with the OS' inherent Firewall, i.e., if I buy a separate rating 3 Firewall program, do I now have Firewall 6 or Firewall 3? Is IC worthwhile? An agent with an Attack program? What is the most cost-effective way to keep intruders out of my PAN?

Also, how many skinlink modules do I need? Does one module connect to everything, or does each device (gun, commlink, cybereyes(!) need one?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Jan 23 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #2

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

Skinlinks are modifications on external devices. Your cyberware, unless you state otherwise, is automatically assumed to have a direct neural interface, which makes a skinlink completely unnecessary. You'll just need to adapt your commlink and any other device in your PAN that you want to control through the skinlink, at a cost of 50 nuyen each. It's not a "skinlink module", it's a device accessory.

Firewall programs do not stack. You'd have a Rating 3 Firewall.

IC and an Agent with an Attack program are the same thing. It's also not an effective way to have electronic security for a personal device.

In my experience, I've not known any GM that actually rolled to hack into a player's commlink or used hacking rules to make a player's life miserable in combat. There are a hojillion easier ways to mess with your life, using cheaper and more direct methods (Stick and Shock rounds, for instance). Or are you trying to protect against another player? I've hacked into other players' commlinks before to get fun things like Fake SINs and such. If someone is determined and prepared enough, you can't stop them from hacking your electronics.

In any case, you probably should invest in a Firewall 6 and an Encrypt program. Non-standard wireless links are expensive (Unwired p196, 500 nuyen x Rating), but also prevent people from finding you when you are in "Hidden Mode" (which you should be, most of the time) by increasing the Threshold by 1. Also, carry two commlinks... one to operate your day-to-day business, connected to peripherals which are meaningless to you (to give the illusion of being your "primary" commlink), and a second "shadow" commlink in Hidden mode all the time which connects to your "real" stuff. Run the second commlink at a very low signal rating, as most hacking attempts require a mutual Signal subscription.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Jan 23 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 23 2010, 04:48 PM) *
A top-shelf stock commlink (Fairlight Caliban) running the top-shelf stock OS (Novatech Navi), has Response 4, Signal 5, Firewall 3 and System 4. For a character who is not a hacker, what should I add to this? Does standalone Firewall software supplant or stack with the OS' inherent Firewall, i.e., if I buy a separate rating 3 Firewall program, do I now have Firewall 6 or Firewall 3? Is IC worthwhile? An agent with an Attack program? What is the most cost-effective way to keep intruders out of my PAN?

Also, how many skinlink modules do I need? Does one module connect to everything, or does each device (gun, commlink, cybereyes(!) need one?

Any new firewall you buy replaces your old firewall, it doesn't supplement it. A good firewall and a good IC with a blackout and whatever program it is to find people that use stealth would be a good investment.

Of course you could also just slave it to only accept manual input (Or DNI or something similar) and it will become virtually unhackable.

I think skinlink needs every device that is going to make use of it to have skinlink, but I'm not sure that is expressly stated anywhere in the rules.

+Quote Post
Rystefn
post Jan 23 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,067

Yeah, everything hahnsoo said, except I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the nonstandard wireless links. That additional threshold of 1 usually won't accomplish much. The test pretty trivial to a hacker. It might keep the neighbor kids from screwing with you, but a real hacker won't even notice.

Heavily second the multiple commlinks advice, though. If you're really paranoid, see if you can talk the GM into letting put two 'links in one case without connecting them to each other, use one for comms with the team, and turn off wireless completely on the other and use that to run your smartlink, etc. Then use a third as the "public" commlink. This will help protect you from the tam's hacker screwing with you as well.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Jan 23 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Rystefn @ Jan 23 2010, 05:15 PM) *
Yeah, everything hahnsoo said, except I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the nonstandard wireless links. That additional threshold of 1 usually won't accomplish much. The test pretty trivial to a hacker. It might keep the neighbor kids from screwing with you, but a real hacker won't even notice.
I thought that was the whole point to this trivial exercise. You can't expect to keep out any good hacker out of your electronics. When you have regular store-bought equipment, they are going to win. The issue is whether or not the GM will harass the characters with low-end encounters (corporate security scanning for equipment, script kiddie gangers, etc.), not "real" hackers. Even then, it's an expensive way to say "git offa mah virtual lawn". Much like Agents with Attack programs installed.

+Quote Post
Rystefn
post Jan 23 2010, 10:29 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,067

Point... A nonhacker is not likely to keep a hacker out. I guess the main point is to see what is the cost-benefit balance of extra security. I'd say the non-standard link isn't worth it. Raising the Firewall is probably a good idea. Encrypt doesn't do much, but it's pretty cheap, so it's also worth picking up. I think I said it somewhere else earlier - it will probably only cost a few more passes to the person trying to bypass it, but those passes may well make all the difference.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jan 23 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #7

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 23 2010, 11:48 PM) *
For a character who is not a hacker, what should I add to this?

Strong Encryption.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jan 23 2010, 11:20 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Jan 23 2010, 05:05 PM) *
Your cyberware, unless you state otherwise, is automatically assumed to have a direct neural interface, which makes a skinlink completely unnecessary. You'll just need to adapt your commlink and any other device in your PAN that you want to control through the skinlink, at a cost of 50 nuyen each. It's not a "skinlink module", it's a device accessory.

I get that cyberware (eyes, for example) is DNI by default. But how does the smartlink in my eyes talk to my smartgun?

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Jan 23 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 23 2010, 03:20 PM) *
I get that cyberware (eyes, for example) is DNI by default. But how does the smartlink in my eyes talk to my smartgun?

Normally by wireless link. If your smartgun is skinlinked, it does it that way. If you have a datajack, I'd rule that you could physically plug your gun into your head. Or you could physically connect it to your commlink and work through that, I suppose, or do so wirelessly by slaving the device.

+Quote Post
Johnny Hammersti...
post Jan 23 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,514

As a GM, I have enemy hackers in the group spellcaster's commlink all day and night. I wonder when the players will figure it out. I think he's running something with a device rating of 3 and no encryption or IC. His character isn't a very logical guy (Log 2) and doesn't know anything much about technology anyway. Maybe I should put a virus or worm in there to push the group in the right direction on this.

*cackles madly*

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Jan 24 2010, 07:44 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

I like having a good Agent around. Sure, a real (read: runner level) hacker can crash him easily enough, but a typical pro corp spider (UnW. p 207) would have his work cut out for him. Besides, there's plenty fringe benefits. Your headbot is your pal, the most trustworthy pal you have, and you can make him do things for you. Need an exit route? Send him on a Data Search. Want to know what's happening around you in the WiFi? Make him scan for devices. There's plenty of great reasons for every char to get a Mook eventually.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 24 2010, 09:38 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

The biggest thing you can do is have a high-rating Analyze program running constantly - if you read the rules, it has an autonomous scan-everything mode. Perhaps with an agent or IC watching it. Running stealth is also a biggie - it helps prevent your commlink from being scanned out and detected in the first place.

If you have Unwired, there are additional things you can do there to secure your network. Slaving, nonstandard links, homeground autosofts to make your guard-agent spot things better, dynamic encryption - that kind of thing

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Jan 24 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 948

Ok, the basics for a good commlink security setting.

Turn off Wireless = Signal 0
Seriously, unless you NEED to be connected all the time keep it turned off.

Secondary Commlink.
Your fake ID (secondary fake ID) commlink that blares out your Joe Average information that no-one cares about - Keeps people from snooping in the other one.

Firewall 6
For a runner there is no reason NOT to get a rating 6 firewall

Encryption 4-5
Keep your signal encrypted and depending on your hardware I would say you keep it around 4.

Agent
Agent 4, with Homeground and Analyze and keep it analyzing your commlink ALL THE TIME. He has then 11D6 for analyze tests that would find most "common" professional rating hackers (skill/program/hardware rating 3)

Tethering
Go through a secondary commlink before going out online - Let your agent snoop into the secondary 'link and if someone hacks THAT commlink it will be discovered.

Disposable commlink
Use disposable comlinks and hack/surf through their wireless signal to hide your own signal.

Hmm...cant think of anything more.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 24 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Get a pet.

+Quote Post
Johnny Hammersti...
post Jan 24 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,514

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 24 2010, 04:38 AM) *
The biggest thing you can do is have a high-rating Analyze program running constantly - if you read the rules, it has an autonomous scan-everything mode. Perhaps with an agent or IC watching it. Running stealth is also a biggie - it helps prevent your commlink from being scanned out and detected in the first place.

I could be wrong here, but stealth doesn't have any effect on your being scanned or sniffed, but it does slow down a trace on your comm.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 24 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 24 2010, 02:38 AM) *

If you have Unwired, there are additional things you can do there to secure your network. Slaving, nonstandard links, homeground autosofts to make your guard-agent spot things better, dynamic encryption - that kind of thing

Stealth does not protect your com signal from being detected, that is what Hidden Mode is for... stealth protects your ICON from being detected... big difference...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Nows7
post Jan 25 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 16,985

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jan 24 2010, 01:22 PM) *
Ok, the basics for a good commlink security setting.

Firewall 6
For a runner there is no reason NOT to get a rating 6 firewall

Encryption 4-5
Keep your signal encrypted and depending on your hardware I would say you keep it around 4.

Don't you need a system of six to run a rating 6 firewall? I suppose you could get a Rating 6 Firewall with three levels of Optimization, but that just seems pretty steep to expect all members of the team to pony up for that... Well, depending on where your campaign starts anyway, if you're starting closer to street level, but I suppose Stone cold Pro it could be more reasonable.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Jan 25 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 948

QUOTE (Nows7 @ Jan 25 2010, 10:06 AM) *
Don't you need a system of six to run a rating 6 firewall? I suppose you could get a Rating 6 Firewall with three levels of Optimization, but that just seems pretty steep to expect all members of the team to pony up for that... Well, depending on where your campaign starts anyway, if you're starting closer to street level, but I suppose Stone cold Pro it could be more reasonable.

Firewall is compeltely separate from system and can be purchased up to rating 6 regardless of Hardware or Software.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:27 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.