> SoyChicken
Matsci
post Feb 7 2010, 04:38 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,626

Soy Chicken A Reality

Huh, teh SPU may be more realistic than I thought.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Headshot_Joe
post Feb 7 2010, 05:06 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,832

That is quite amazing! I will have to try this soy-chicken! Heck, if it's good enough, and cheap enough to produce, it could eventually begin to rival real chicken in the marketplace, at least in some scenarios. Imagine if they can get soy to accurately replicate beef and pork? Obviously this would only be aplicable in certain situations, usually where the meat has been processed, such as ground beef for burgers, or ground pork for sausage. People would still want there real beef and pork cuts of meat, but I can imagine the over-all amount of cow and pig farms going down, and the space being used to produce a far greater quantity of soy-meats. Potentially, the solution to world hunger.

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Feb 7 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

QUOTE (Headshot_Joe @ Feb 7 2010, 05:06 AM) *
Potentially, the solution to world hunger.

We already have candidate solutions to world hunger. The problems are more politics and distribution than production.

Anyway, I like this development. Bypass Halal requirements for Muslims (it isn't Chicken), circumvent the objections of ethical vegetarians (the ones who object to the killing, or methods of killing, of animals), and lowering the cost of cheap food. Science in the public interest.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Feb 7 2010, 01:47 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

Only substitute I'll accept to chicken pig and cow is some other critter. maybe deer, boar, and quail.

+Quote Post
bmcoomes
post Feb 7 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,382

I would not eat soy if my life depended on it. From the research I've seen it's has estrogen like properties and benig male and having elevated levels of estrogen is not a good thing.

QUOTE (men's health)
Myth: A soy burger is healthier than a beef burger
Here's the problem: Soy, in all its forms, contains phytoestrogens--that is, plant estrogens. And while having some of the female hormone in our bodies is okay, and even normal, having high amounts of the plant version isn't. In fact, Australian researchers found that men who consumed a soy-rich diet had significantly lower testosterone levels than beef eaters. And as for red meat's artery-clogging reputation, a study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition showed that eating lean beef can help to lower LDL cholesterol levels while increasing HDL levels.

I do have more research and studies just not on hand.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Feb 7 2010, 03:23 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

perhaps why all vegitarians are women?

+Quote Post
bmcoomes
post Feb 7 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,382

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) Yeah, good one.

+Quote Post
Ghremdal
post Feb 7 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 17,900

I am also not very convinced about the nutritional value of soy products, specifically protein value and such. One study I read that says feeding children in development without any sort of animal derived products (milk, cheese, meat, etc) results in such kids at the end of development have 80% less muscle mass then those fed animal products.

For example in a 100 g serving soybeans (446 cal) have 36.5 g of protein, while ground beef has 259 cal and 26.1 g of protein per 100 g. Meat gives you 25% more protein per calorie.

Im pretty sure though that the future of food production lies in foods such as soy, due to the vast cost and impact of meat production on the world.

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Feb 7 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

QUOTE (Daylen @ Feb 7 2010, 03:23 PM) *
perhaps why all vegitarians are women?

QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Feb 7 2010, 03:25 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) Yeah, good one.

As a former vegetarian I would just like to say "fuck you".

+Quote Post
lordnth
post Feb 7 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 16,862

Not new. A friend of mine told me years ago about a soy veggy-burger that tasted so much like meat (try had chicken and beef) that she got sick. Some are not for vegitarians as much as they are for meat-eaters that want something that tastes like meat for diets or health reasons.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Feb 21 2010, 03:01 AM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

There's an Asian supermarket DLN and I use that has all sorts of tinned soy based faux meat- chicken, beef and pork for vegetarians who want the flavor in their meals. We keep daring each other to buy it to serve to our families, no one has yet.

+Quote Post
kjones
post Feb 21 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,163

I have a lot of vegetarian friends, so I've eaten my fair share of faux-meat. Regardless of how well it resembles the original, none of it has ever been any damn good.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 21 2010, 03:49 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (kjones @ Feb 21 2010, 10:21 AM) *
I have a lot of vegetarian friends, so I've eaten my fair share of faux-meat. Regardless of how well it resembles the original, none of it has ever been any damn good.

I have, once.
It was a vegie burger made by...BOCA, at some restaurant. Mom--the vegetarian--ordered the burger, Dad and I went real beef. The food came, it was good, then Mom asked us to taste her burger. She was half way through it and had realized that it was tasting like meat.

Dad and I both could not tell the difference, it had the color, texture, and flavor of real hamburger. So we called the waitress over.

Nope, it was veggie. But not a burger you could buy for the home, it was a line that BOCA only produced to sell in restaurants.

+Quote Post
Neowulf
post Feb 21 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,773

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 21 2010, 08:49 AM) *
I have, once.
It was a vegie burger made by...BOCA, at some restaurant. Mom--the vegetarian--ordered the burger, Dad and I went real beef. The food came, it was good, then Mom asked us to taste her burger. She was half way through it and had realized that it was tasting like meat.

Dad and I both could not tell the difference, it had the color, texture, and flavor of real hamburger. So we called the waitress over.

Nope, it was veggie. But not a burger you could buy for the home, it was a line that BOCA only produced to sell in restaurants.

If they fried the burger on a grill with real meat, then cross-contamination from the tasty meat grease could make the difference.
I married a chef, some of the crap that goes on in professional kitchens would surprise you, even if they are technically foodsafe.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 21 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Neowulf @ Feb 21 2010, 12:52 PM) *
If they fried the burger on a grill with real meat, then cross-contamination from the tasty meat grease could make the difference.
I married a chef, some of the crap that goes on in professional kitchens would surprise you, even if they are technically foodsafe.

Possible, I'll admit.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 21 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #16

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

hmm, soy and that bacon spice mix...

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 21 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 21 2010, 12:59 PM) *
hmm, soy and that bacon spice mix...

You mean...Bacon Salt?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 21 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #18

panda!

QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Feb 7 2010, 02:29 PM) *
We already have candidate solutions to world hunger. The problems are more politics and distribution than production.

if by politics your talking about noone wanting to foot the bill, then your right.

basically, the farming efficiency we have right now means that if things where not so market focused, one could feed everyone on this planet. But as its so market focused, some throw away stuff they bought but never got round to eating, while others starve, just because they do not happen to have some pieces of metal or paper that those that have the food wants in return...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 21 2010, 06:02 PM
Post #19

panda!

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 21 2010, 07:00 PM) *
You mean...Bacon Salt?

have a bacon flavored cookie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 21 2010, 06:04 PM
Post #20

panda!

btw, anyone familiar with the gits:sac episode where they talk about korean vegetarian food? Something about monks finding ways to make plants appear like meat or fish. ii think the same episode touched on cyborg food and how it was made to look like the usual stuff when in reality it was more like nanotech repair/maintenance kits or something.

+Quote Post
Neowulf
post Feb 21 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,773

Still working on making tofu and baconsalt texture like bacon, almost got the taste mix worked out.
Once I've got that I'm running to the patent office with a machine that can put out a continuous ribbon of bacon. I shall be a millionaire!

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 21 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #22

panda!

not enough to deep fry it?

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Feb 21 2010, 07:18 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

There's dried bacon bits actually made from soy that you can get in most american supermarkets. My husband is Jewish so no pork for him but these he can eat for the flavor when I need it.

+Quote Post
Tiny Deev
post Feb 21 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,154

I have to quote something here.
"Broccoli tastes like broccoli, but meat tastes like murder and murder tastes pretty darn good now doesn't it?" - Dennis Leary

You may proceed.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 22 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #25

panda!

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Feb 21 2010, 08:18 PM) *
There's dried bacon bits actually made from soy that you can get in most american supermarkets. My husband is Jewish so no pork for him but these he can eat for the flavor when I need it.

i wonder if its much the same as found here in norway. It has a consistency fairly similar to cheese curls, but shaped and flavored to appear like bits of bacon...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.