> Medusa
Machiavelli
post Feb 8 2010, 06:31 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,749

Hi Dumpshockers,

i am planning an PC based on the greece "medusa"-myth and thought about a version of the satyr-legs that grants a snake tail instead of legs. Does rules exist for some kind of "feet"? I would recommend help for the following statistics:

- movement-rate?
- armor?
- penalties at climbing/running/jumping etc?
- social penalties (freaks sidebar at runners companion?)
- social status in e.g. greece
- where else instead of greece are "snake-women (or men)" known?

Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Feb 8 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,811

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Feb 8 2010, 01:31 PM) *
Hi Dumpshockers,

i am planning an PC based on the greece "medusa"-myth and thought about a version of the satyr-legs that grants a snake tail instead of legs. Does rules exist for some kind of "feet"? I would recommend help for the following statistics:

- movement-rate?
- armor?
- penalties at climbing/running/jumping etc?
- social penalties (freaks sidebar at runners companion?)
- social status in e.g. greece
- where else instead of greece are "snake-women (or men)" known?

Thanks in advance

The easiest way is to use Naga stats. They are snake people and are detailed in Runners Companion on pg 84-85. It will give you movement rates and such.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Feb 8 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

Hmm, cool idea.

My first thought was 'go look at naga' but naga don't really have many adjustments.

They do have a 5/20 walk/run rate and can swim at 8/20. Maybe a bit fast for a medusa, but something like 5/20 walk/run and a swim of 5/17 or something similar.

I don't think armor would be a problem for the most part as long as you don't get into full body stuff. Like a jacket/vest/similar is all going to operate normally. For full body stuff I suggest a 2x or so cost for having to redo the legs parts, or leave it off for maybe something like a -2/-2 to -4/-4 penalty to the armor based on what exactly it is (Urban jumpsuit is going to be a smaller penalty than full combat armor)

I wouldn't see any trouble with running, and even jumping/climbing might not be too bad because there are plenty of snake types that climb trees all the time, and some do a jump, though it is usually distance, not height. Somewhere between a -2 to -4 might work well though, especially on climbing sheer things.

Social penalties? I'd imagine fairly large due to all the negative mythology surrounding them, on top of which most people don't like snakes anyway.

I think they'd have fairly low status in greece due to their monster mythology, though would also likely be feared more than hunted (And expect lots of averted gazes).

I think there might be some snake-people stuff in egyption lore, and I'd expect it in aztech/south america type lore and perhaps something in african lore, but I can't think of much in western/Asian lore (Though I'm hardly well versed). That said, snake people seem to be fairly popular in fantasy MUDs and such, not sure if they're grabbing it from anywhere in particular.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

+Quote Post
Walpurgisborn
post Feb 8 2010, 07:15 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 17,677

never mind

+Quote Post
Professor Evil O...
post Feb 9 2010, 08:54 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,103

Mechanically, you could either SURGE the hell out of a metahuman to be more like a naga, or SURGE a naga to be more like a metahuman (extra arms, etc.). This would get you a good benchmark for character gen.

Snake hair could be handled like any other natural weapon, (thorns maybe if you wanted it to be very limited, horns if you want it to be really useful) and add venom to suit (again, if desired).

Petrification would probably be too powerful to give a PC if it worked as a critter power (ie no drain/limit, and how would you point it out), but could work as a spell, although that would require you to be a magician. Then again, not every individual has to have those powers.

I'd use the freaks sidebar from the Companion as a guideline for social modifiers - people would certainly be freaked out!

Hope that helps.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.