Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Code Sprite Question, Specifically Probability Distribution
Caadium
post Feb 9 2010, 09:18 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,646

Would Probability Distribution be usable to aid with either threading or compiling (assuming the Code Sprite was Registered so that it would be possible to compile a new one)?

If so, would it aid/hinder the actual threading/compiling roll? What about the fading aspect? Would the modifiers apply to that as well? If not (and my natural inclination is to say it would only affect one roll), could you chose to have it affect the fading aspect of the task instead?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Feb 9 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

The RAW refer to changing "the probability of a Matrix action", so yes this is just as applicable for Resonance actions as it is for non-Resonance actions.

However, technically, threading isn't a Matrix action. It takes no time at all - a technomancer could thread several complex forms all at once, suffer the fading and then immediately take a full action phase that doesn't even use any of those complex forms. So, strictly RAW, probability distribution cannot be used with threading and the same logic would apply to fading rolls, but compiling, decompiling and registering rolls could benefit.

Depends on your GM. I would probably allow it for threading in mine.

+Quote Post
Caadium
post Feb 9 2010, 04:39 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,646

So if it could apply to compiling, decompiling, registering then you could apply it as a negative to the sprite's resistance roll. Correct?

+Quote Post
Orcus Blackweath...
post Feb 10 2010, 05:25 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,433

QUOTE (Aerospider @ Feb 9 2010, 07:25 AM) *
The RAW refer to changing "the probability of a Matrix action", so yes this is just as applicable for Resonance actions as it is for non-Resonance actions.

However, technically, threading isn't a Matrix action. It takes no time at all - a technomancer could thread several complex forms all at once, suffer the fading and then immediately take a full action phase that doesn't even use any of those complex forms. So, strictly RAW, probability distribution cannot be used with threading and the same logic would apply to fading rolls, but compiling, decompiling and registering rolls could benefit.

Depends on your GM. I would probably allow it for threading in mine.

This is interesting, can you cite a page for this? We have been doing threading a CF as a complex action. I would be very interested in having a page that says it is an instant action (even faster than a free action).

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Feb 10 2010, 11:40 AM
Post #5

Running Target

QUOTE (Caadium @ Feb 9 2010, 04:39 PM) *
So if it could apply to compiling, decompiling, registering then you could apply it as a negative to the sprite's resistance roll. Correct?

Correct, but not on both because it's use requires a held action. To use it on both would mean having two held actions simultaneously, which isn't allowed.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Feb 10 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #6

Running Target

QUOTE (Orcus Blackweather @ Feb 10 2010, 05:25 AM) *
This is interesting, can you cite a page for this? We have been doing threading a CF as a complex action. I would be very interested in having a page that says it is an instant action (even faster than a free action).

It's not specifically stated, but it doesn't appear on the list of Matrix actions.

The page is 240 (SR4A) where the most specific it gets is "Technomancers have the ability toimprovise complex forms on the fly". I've also seen it discussed elsewhere on DS in terms of being a non-action, but can't remember the particular thread.

If the ability to thread multiple CFs instantaneously doesn't suit your game then making it a free action would be best in my opinion so that the impact is minimal - taking up a whole complex action is quite punishing, especially in cybercombat.

I think the instantaneous approach works fine - fading will limit how much the TM wants to abuse it anyway.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:05 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.