Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quadripledic mage and spellcasting while rigging
10gauge
post Feb 20 2010, 09:33 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 12,510

Well, I really want to build a quadripledic mage who's rigging a modded wheel chair. My question is now: Is there a way that this mage is able to use LOS spells while he's rigging? Opticals sensors or something?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 20 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,392

No.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Feb 20 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Lol... short and accurate

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 20 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

There's not really much else to say. Magic just doesn't work like that.

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Feb 20 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 13,662

No Draco... Magic just doesn't roll like that ;P.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Feb 20 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

Only way I could possibly even imagine this vaguely working is.... no, nope, never mind.

Well, actually yes, there is, but not through anything you're rigging. It is possible for a character to make perception checks with a -6 penalty while in VR, and thus it is possible to see the real world while in VR and thus while rigging.

However any penalties to your perception check are applied to your spellcasting check, so you would have a -6 DP not only to locate your target in the first place, but then to throw a spell at them. So yes, you can cast a spell while rigging, just not in the way you likely wanted.

+Quote Post
10gauge
post Feb 20 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Ok, so rigging doesnt work. What about the Magic Fingers spell to handle the wheel chairs joystick?

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 20 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (10gauge @ Feb 20 2010, 05:40 PM) *
Ok, so rigging doesnt work. What about the Magic Fingers spell to handle the wheel chairs joystick?

Yeah you could do that, probably.

+Quote Post
D2F
post Feb 20 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,001

You could still remote control...

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Feb 20 2010, 11:26 PM
Post #10

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

Errrr, why not just direct the thing through skinlink/trodes AR. YOu won't get the jumped in benefit but it's a wheel chair and your a mage, how much do you really need.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Feb 20 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

QUOTE (10gauge @ Feb 20 2010, 10:40 PM) *

Magic fingers is for manipulating at a distance and distance isn't your issue here. To pilot the chair through the spell would still require the same concentration (read: action expenditure) as it would with your meat hands except there is now a -2 modifier for sustaining. You'd have both hands free, but that has no bearing on your spellcasting.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed he's quadriplegic not paraplegic. Yep, magic fingers would be of use but still inferior to skin link technology.

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Feb 20 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

Bound Task Spirit!

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Feb 21 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Feb 20 2010, 06:26 PM) *
Errrr, why not just direct the thing through skinlink/trodes AR. YOu won't get the jumped in benefit but it's a wheel chair and your a mage, how much do you really need.

This.

You can't go with a VR vehicle control rig methods of controlling it, but you can use AR and a skin link.

+Quote Post
Caadium
post Feb 21 2010, 12:43 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,646

I once made a character that was a paraplegic mage that did some rigging from his modified Evo Orderly. My character was a former rigger with a magic of 1 that had recently awoken and that is what we played on. My character was doctor so I started with only touch based spells. Used another Orderly with an enhanced rigger cocoon to retrieve injured personnel.

The point of this is that depending on what you would like your role to be, spell selection can make things work better. In my case I was a rigger/doctor that had simple magic healing to help sew up after surgery. If you plan to be a blasting mage there for firepower that relies on the protection of his wheelchair/vehicle, then you won't be as jumped in as a rigger.

+Quote Post
10gauge
post Feb 21 2010, 02:24 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

AR and skinlink sounds great.

Another question: Is there any way to make this Transys Steed a flying wheel chair? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I couldnt find anything.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Feb 21 2010, 03:44 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (10gauge @ Feb 20 2010, 09:24 PM) *

Another question: Is there any way to make this Transys Steed a flying wheel chair? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I couldnt find anything.

I don't think there is a 'It flies now' modification at all. There might be something that will turn a wheeled vehicle into a hovercraft though (Which would be very handy for getting up stairs. Most runs are not wheelchair friendly)

I should point out that you cannot access AR while astrally precieving. This could cause trouble if you're relying on VR to move your wheelchair.

As to the flying: Walker Mode would give a wheel-chair good mobility (Orderly has that standard I think) and a LTA mod would let it fly, though slowly. Oh, and there it is, hovercraft upgrade.

Flying fox gliding system is basically a parachute, handy if you fall off a building or something, though rather expensive.

Other than that, I don't see anything that'll let a non-flying vehicle fly.

You might however be able to go in the opposite direction and turn something like a glider into your wheelchair. Take a gilder or even the jet pack and add the walker mod as well as the life support system and you could reason that it could pass as a normal wheel-chair until you unfold the wings or fire up the hoverjets.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Feb 21 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

Hovercrafts and stairs get along even worse than wheels and stairs. The shape wil induce huge losses in the air cushion, and to make thngs worse you don't have traction to get up, nor brakes to control things on the way down.

Threads are so-so but can work if the stairs aren't too steep, large smartwheels might do, but the logical choice for stairs is the walker modification.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Feb 21 2010, 09:10 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

It's not listed in the Standard Upgrades for the Transys Steed, but it already comes with smart tires, so anything less than 15cm (about 6", which is greater than most stairs) won't be a problem.

If you're expecting to have to go swimming, then some kind of water propulsion upgrade might be in order, but otherwise I don't think flight would be a necessary concern.

+Quote Post
Nows7
post Feb 21 2010, 09:29 AM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 16,985

QUOTE (Karoline @ Feb 21 2010, 04:44 AM) *
I don't think there is a 'It flies now' modification at all. There might be something that will turn a wheeled vehicle into a hovercraft though (Which would be very handy for getting up stairs. Most runs are not wheelchair friendly)
(snip)

"Sir or Madam,

RE: Wheel chair accesability to your arcology.

It has recently come to our attention, that certain locations within your arcology, specifically your highly restricted secret servers, are not wheel chair accessible. This came to light when our clients had broken into your arcology to destroy said highly restricted seceret servers, but where unable to get to them due to a small flight of stairs. Please install wheel chair acsess by the 31st, so that my clients may complete their run and get in your base, and kill your doodz.

We look forward to your prompt compliance."

+Quote Post
Caadium
post Feb 21 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,646

QUOTE (Nows7 @ Feb 21 2010, 01:29 AM) *
"Sir or Madam,

RE: Wheel chair accesability to your arcology.

It has recently come to our attention, that certain locations within your arcology, specifically your highly restricted secret servers, are not wheel chair accessible. This came to light when our clients had broken into your arcology to destroy said highly restricted seceret servers, but where unable to get to them due to a small flight of stairs. Please install wheel chair acsess by the 31st, so that my clients may complete their run and get in your base, and kill your doodz.

We look forward to your prompt compliance."

"And we would hate to have to bring this civil rights violation up with the Corporate Court."

Oh wait, the SR corps don't have to cater to EVERYONE or risk a lawsuit; maybe they got somethings right.

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Feb 21 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 18,155

Evo Orderly with Gecko tips is your friend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Feb 21 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

Make it a blimp....

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Feb 22 2010, 08:27 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

QUOTE (Karoline @ Feb 21 2010, 03:44 AM) *
I don't think there is a 'It flies now' modification at all.

Sure there is - it was even in a book or two:

Summon an ally spirit, and make sure one of its shapes is the wheelchair.
Voila, a flying wheelchair that even has a psychic link to the mage for directions (which should work while rigging), and may even be capable of independant spellcasting.

And, frankly, more appropriate than the apparently canon flying motorcycle.
(the author of which apparently missed the limitations on the speed of a spirit's 3D movement in earlier editions)

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Feb 22 2010, 09:00 PM
Post #24

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Feb 23 2010, 12:27 AM) *
Summon an ally spirit, and make sure one of its shapes is the wheelchair.
Voila, a flying wheelchair that even has a psychic link to the mage for directions (which should work while rigging), and may even be capable of independant spellcasting.

And awesome and elegant solution. I salute you.
That said, Quadriplegic BP cost is insane, when you can have a Mild Common allergy for half as much.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Feb 24 2010, 07:00 AM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (10gauge @ Feb 20 2010, 07:24 PM) *

Yes. Yes there is. You may have to use Overmodding to get it, though. But a professor-x style hoverchair is not only possible, but affordable.

Not to mention hilarious.

Arsenal vehicle mods.
Lighter than Air mod. Lighter than Air. A=6. Body x 400Y. Shop. 1 slot.
Hovercraft Upgrade. A=12, bodyx1kY for rebuild, bodyx2kY for add-on. Shop required. 3 slots rebuild, 4 slots add-on.
The steed has a body of 2, and costs 4000 base. So at least 6800, depending on how its being modded.

Bam. Flying chair. Its not even that slow, either. Half accel/speed give a Steed 5/20 and 40, respectively. Handling takes a hit down to 0 or -1 depending on your mode of transportation, but whatever. Its a flying chair.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.