Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unique Enchantments
Enin
post Feb 20 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,586

I'm curious to see what kind of unique enchantments some of you may have come up with in your games, if any. And how exactly do they work rules-wise.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 21 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I never got to use it, but my previous character* special ordered armor that would shape-shift with him. GM ruled it as costing (money and karma wise) the same as a Force 2 power focus.

*Drake gun bunny ("gun drake"?).

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Feb 22 2010, 06:52 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Check the thread in my signature. The uses for free spirits, especially with the Calling rules from Running Wild, allows most intelligent item/special enchantment ideas by means of using inhabitation spirits as the medium. It also meets many cultures' mythology of the spirits of items being awakened and granting the item additional power.

+Quote Post
Maelstrome
post Feb 22 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,237

i can only remember making two, but i may have created more.

psychofang was a uniquely enchanted sword created from the teeth of a behemoth with psychic powers or something.
the sword was bound together with orichalcum and had a slight purple tint to the blade. it gave the wielder a rating 13 distance strike and a force 13 levitation.

critical mass was a uniquely enchanted sword that could change its size shape and weight. dont remember too much about it.

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Feb 22 2010, 09:26 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

I played in a campaign that had a couple, but we never really knew what they did. They were just McGuffins. We knew they were powerful magic that people wanted us to get (in some cases, competing parties manipulating different group members) but not entirely what they did or how to use them. Probably nobody knew entirely what they did or how they did it, though they undoubtedly could get some use from them.
In many cases, the point of such items is they are great sources of new directions for magical research.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Feb 22 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

I remember reading through a long list of useless magical artifacts on Blackjack's old SR site (can't find it any more...could someone send me a link?). Anyone ever use those?

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Feb 23 2010, 01:52 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

QUOTE (Apathy @ Feb 22 2010, 04:39 PM) *
I remember reading through a long list of useless magical artifacts on Blackjack's old SR site (can't find it any more...could someone send me a link?). Anyone ever use those?

You sure that it was blackjack's site or Ancient History's? I had a giant compiled list at one point from many posts here in the forums, but it's offline right now.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 23 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Uncle Ancients stuff:
http://ancientfiles.dumpshock.com/Spoorn/6.html
http://ancientfiles.dumpshock.com/Spoorn/1.html

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Feb 23 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Two unique I used a loooong time ago 1st/2nd edition. A strange little old english lady with a cocky parrot that befriended the players for one reason or another and always gave them a safe place to hole up. She had a tea kettle that gave tea healing properties. "Cup oh tea luv, it'll soothe those gunshot wounds deary."

Other was a ring in a box that the team never realized what they were carrying, this was one shot that supposed to lead to a longer story but no one wanted to risk there rep and look in the box, maybe Ill bring it back some time. Contained a ring that bestowed a magic rating to its wearer, allowing mundane to learn to manipulate mana.,

I always wanted to have an SR mage discover the means to learn about spell matrices, maybe ancient tablet. DotA has got me thinking about that again.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Feb 23 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

We do hope to get more in-depth regarding unique enchantments at some point. Well, I do. Officially, this time. Not sure when, but ya nevah know.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 23 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #11

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 23 2010, 04:55 PM) *
We do hope to get more in-depth regarding unique enchantments at some point. Well, I do. Officially, this time. Not sure when, but ya nevah know.

i hope to see more of your ideas in there ^^

+Quote Post
Nows7
post Feb 23 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 16,985

I was looking at getting a ring enchanted as a weapon foci for my troll. The weapon foci would add to damage, the unique enchantment world allow the ring to function as brass knuckles - IE my punches would be treated as physical damage. Pretty minor enchantment though.

+Quote Post
Enin
post Feb 24 2010, 03:38 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 16,586

Yeah the Digital Grimoire actually had a unique in there that was pretty cool along with the formula to make it that was even cooler. Adding to DV is good and all, but I was trying to think of some off-the-wall stuff that's pretty strange, but still useful.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Feb 24 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

Inferno Ring - Anchoring focus that casts a force 12 Ignite on anyone who picks it up.

"Hey, what's this? Dang! I think this is a real ruby!"

12 Combat Turns Later...

~Umidori

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Feb 24 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

A weapon focus that gives AP: -Magic?

+Quote Post
Makki
post Feb 24 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

-An old tinny spy-glass that makes you see astral instead of magnified.
-An ancient wooden pipe that casts a force 10 Shadow Spell everytime you smoke it

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Feb 24 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

A jacket that casts an influence spell on the wearer to make them think they're invisible.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Feb 24 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

A potion that makes you think your charisma is a point higher than usual, while actually lowering it by a point. Oh wait that already exists in the real world (it's call beer).

+Quote Post
Caadium
post Feb 24 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,646

The day SR3 showed up at our local store an old SR buddy of mine was visiting, so naturally we picked up a copy of the new rules and he ran a few games over the week he was in town. Well, at the same time he had recently started reading Witchblade and Darkness, so things got kind of wonky.

Specifically, my Adept wound up getting ahold of an item that increased his magic (similar to a SR2 era power focus, but tailored for Adepts), thereby increasing his power points (I believe in the end it was about 4 points worth). The GM assigned the powers from the new points based on what he wanted and what I already had going on. My character couldn't get rid of the item, had to deal with many things hunting me, and something of a personality conflict where the item was trying to control me.

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Feb 25 2010, 01:28 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

I had a unique type of focus floating around in my game. I call it a spirit-trap focus. The whole point is it adds extra dice to resist possession. if the defender wins with net hits equal to the spirit's force, the focus yanks the spirit in and holds it.

A character in my game was given it (as an amerind spirit bag) as a payment for a favor. The player character had no clue what it did but wore it for luck. 2 real time years later, a Nomad trying a possession got a heck of a suprise. Yoink!

+Quote Post
Troll Bouncer
post Feb 25 2010, 03:57 AM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 18,197

'Eject Magazine' manipulation spell from a Rat shaman tired of all the Ingram Smartguns that always popped up during play. Made the whole party switch to revolvers or tape their magazines in...great fun!

He latter died from the blast of a double barreled shotgun

+Quote Post
Oehler the Black
post Feb 25 2010, 04:57 AM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 18,070

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Feb 23 2010, 09:40 AM) *
I always wanted to have an SR mage discover the means to learn about spell matrices, maybe ancient tablet. DotA has got me thinking about that again.

*Rumages through the Dumpshock Wiki*
Okay, I have to admit ignorance and interest. What IS a "Spell Matrix?"

+Quote Post
Troll Bouncer
post Feb 25 2010, 05:03 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 18,197

If I'm right its from Earthdawn. Spells are woven into the spell matrix and then later 'retrieved' from the matrix.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Feb 25 2010, 05:39 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

In Earthdawn, casting a spell directly from your memory was called "raw magic" and involved channeling polluted energies through your aura and sending up a little astral flare inviting the nameless horrors of the abyss to come munch on your soul. So, raw spellcasting fell out of favor and they went looking for something better. What they settled on were spell matricies. Originally, these were magic objects that held the basics of a spell's astral mechanism (or whatever you want to call it); the matrix filtered the energies of astral space so that the magician avoided mana burn/Drain and the matrix itself hid the spellcasting from astral lurkers - at the cost of somewhat longer spellcasting times and having only a limited number of matricies available to them. After some experimentation, magicians learned how to create spell matricies in their own auras, eschewing the need for physical "spell matrix objects." A rare variant of the latter was the blood matrix, a spell matrix object in the form of a magical tattoo powered by blood magic.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 25 2010, 09:24 AM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (Troll Bouncer @ Feb 25 2010, 04:57 AM) *
'Eject Magazine' manipulation spell from a Rat shaman tired of all the Ingram Smartguns that always popped up during play. Made the whole party switch to revolvers or tape their magazines in...great fun!

He latter died from the blast of a double barreled shotgun

*writes that down*

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.