IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Smartlink vs Smartlink-2, Are the systems compatible?
ARCANE
post Feb 22 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,054

Having started playing a SR 3 game (why did I bother buying SR 4 books around these guys? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) we have had a few rule gripes. (I love it when 3 runs in you are told that there is a rule hidden in a back of a book saying dwarves can't use reach 2 weapons, luckily the actual rule is only for some of them, I still get a combat axe).

Anyway the main rule in contention is smartlink systems and smartlink-2. In Man and Machine the first line for a Smarklink-2 states that it works like a normal smarklink. It then describes the additional smartlink-2 abilities it has, and finally states that Smartlink-2 systems do not work with smartlink guns. I take this to mean you gain no smartlink-2 specific systems (called shots, etc) benefits when you use a smartlink-1 gun, but you get regular smartlink benifits (-2 TN's) as it still works like a smarklink-1. I think there is a line over the page that implies that a person with a smartlink-1 can use a smartlink-2 gun.

One player also has mentioned in SR 2 there was some fluff that talked about gliches when using the two systems together, but what time period would that be?

The main reason why there is a little contention here is I usually have a Predator-II as a throw away gun as they are 100 cheaper and have 1/2 the street index of a Predator-III, making them a common disposible gun, like the first Predator.

So I put it to you, my fellow dumpshock readers and posters, how do you run smartlinks? Is my reading of the rule correct, or thier version based on SR 2 fluff?

Thanks (and tanks) in advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Feb 22 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

It states pretty clearly that if you have smartlink -2 installed and the gun is using smartlink that they are not compatible. However, I would also be willing to make them sync up but have a chance for it to glitch (say 10% chance when turned on) doing such things as feeding inaccuarte info (+TN) ejecting a clip on accident, etc. This also keeps the setting gritty as even your own tech can turn on you inadvertently.

+Quote Post
Telion
post Feb 22 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,547

I'd let it be backwards compatible. The price difference is low, and the advantages are nearly the same. Just treat the SL-2 processor as being able to work with SL-1. Either that or require a negligable upgrade to the SL-2 implant to be backwards compatible.

+Quote Post
EKBT81
post Feb 22 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,124

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Feb 22 2010, 11:43 PM) *
It states pretty clearly that if you have smartlink -2 installed and the gun is using smartlink that they are not compatible. However, I would also be willing to make them sync up but have a chance for it to glitch (say 10% chance when turned on) doing such things as feeding inaccuarte info (+TN) ejecting a clip on accident, etc. This also keeps the setting gritty as even your own tech can turn on you inadvertently.

The official errata make them compatible:

p. 31 Smartlink-2 Game Effects [4]
Add the following line:

If a weapon with a standard smartlink is used by a character with a smartlink-2 implant (or vice versa), only the standard smartlink modifiers apply.

+Quote Post
ARCANE
post Feb 23 2010, 02:15 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 18,054

QUOTE (EKBT81 @ Feb 23 2010, 12:49 PM) *

Ah awesome thank you! I checked the errata, but not thoroughly enough. Wonder if I can convince them that they don't know 3rd that well so learning 4th shouldn't be too hard!

Cheers again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Feb 23 2010, 07:20 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,693

QUOTE (EKBT81 @ Feb 23 2010, 12:49 AM) *

Did not see that one.

With the detailed smartlink costs in Man and Machine most of our characters generally used two processors (SL-1 and SL-2) sharing the rest of the hardware. The litlle extra essence and nuyen was not that big a problem.

+Quote Post
Kliko
post Feb 23 2010, 08:18 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,403

QUOTE (ARCANE @ Feb 22 2010, 05:12 PM) *
Having started playing a SR 3 game (why did I bother buying SR 4 books around these guys? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) we have had a few rule gripes. (I love it when 3 runs in you are told that there is a rule hidden in a back of a book saying dwarves can't use reach 2 weapons, luckily the actual rule is only for some of them, I still get a combat axe).

There's something about that combat axe in those errata as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ork.gif)

darn, those must be the sr3 errata, not m&m

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:51 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.