Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heavy Rain imitates SR, ...well, sort of
X-Kalibur
post Feb 24 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,626

Picked up this gem of a game yesterday, seeing as it is the same team that made Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit.

One of the charaters you play as is an FBI agent named Jayden. I cannot remember his last name at this point, and it's not terribly important. What is important, however, is some equipment he has.

He arrives on the crime scene puts on a set of glasses that are coded as ARI. This puts everything into a nightvision-esque mode. He then puts on a glove that appears to be a combination of radar, chemical sniffer, chemical analyzer, and I'm sure more that I'm not aware of yet. He is able to quickly traverse the crime scene, picking up tracks, both from feet and cars, and DNA samples. The ARI is able to analyze and store all this data for him to be able to pull up later. It also has virtual room software in it.

I haven't look around for any clips to show you all as I am at work and many sites are blocked to me, but it's worth a look into for a cool look on AR...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Feb 24 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,849

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Feb 24 2010, 11:21 AM) *
Picked up this gem of a game yesterday, seeing as it is the same team that made Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit.

One of the charaters you play as is an FBI agent named Jayden. I cannot remember his last name at this point, and it's not terribly important. What is important, however, is some equipment he has.

His name Norman Jayden, I believe.

He arrives on the crime scene puts on a set of glasses that are coded as ARI. This puts everything into a nightvision-esque mode. He then puts on a glove that appears to be a combination of radar, chemical sniffer, chemical analyzer, and I'm sure more that I'm not aware of yet. He is able to quickly traverse the crime scene, picking up tracks, both from feet and cars, and DNA samples. The ARI is able to analyze and store all this data for him to be able to pull up later. It also has virtual room software in it.

I haven't look around for any clips to show you all as I am at work and many sites are blocked to me, but it's worth a look into for a cool look on AR...

Yeah, I've been showing my friends the demo of the game for a couple weeks now. Made the mistake of showing it to my gm though... Reminding the gm how effective star' (or errant) detectives at the scene of a crime can be is a bad move. Out of curiosity, can you choose the character you start with? Or does it cycle through them as the story progresses?

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Feb 24 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #3

Runner

It cycles them in set intervals, much as it did in Indigo Prophecy.

+Quote Post
kjones
post Feb 24 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,163

The idea of AR seems to be more and more prevalent in video games nowadays. In Batman: Arkham Asylum, "Detective Vision" was basically AR, and the "night vision" mode in Halo: ODST is as well. (It highlights enemies in red, friendlies in green, vehicles in yellow, shows waypoints, etc.)

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Feb 24 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #5

Runner

I've already got an inspired character in the works. I'm sure it can be improved upon, I simply love working off my creative juice before it leaves me.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Feb 25 2010, 12:04 AM
Post #6

Runner

My Norman Jayden themed/inspired character, work in progress, will take suggestions.
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Feb 25 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,686

QUOTE (kjones @ Feb 24 2010, 06:25 PM) *
The idea of AR seems to be more and more prevalent in video games nowadays. In Batman: Arkham Asylum, "Detective Vision" was basically AR, and the "night vision" mode in Halo: ODST is as well. (It highlights enemies in red, friendlies in green, vehicles in yellow, shows waypoints, etc.)

The use of graphic information overlays in video games has been around since the days of the arcade and floppy disk. It's the simplest way to convey environmental and character conditions to a gamer without a jarring text or voice over interrupting play ("You're bleeding! You're bleeding!"). When flight simulators and the first-person shooter hit the scene in Hogan's Alley, Duck Hunt, Wolfenstein and the like that's when we first saw what would eventually become the concept of the augmented reality overlay. And the US military had already been using that for years in fighter aircraft HUDs, just in a very limited, monochromatic scale that resembled a surveyor's tool.

As video games advanced and gamers demanded a more immersive experience, the overlay began to be integrated into the actual game itself, rather than as a frame outside the player's in-game reference.

One of the few games I've seen that didn't use this technique was Mirror's Edge; instead the programmers created a simulation of how a human brain would interpret its environment naturally (darkening vision when injured, focusing on objects that are useful, etc.).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.