IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> New PDFs: 10 Jackpointers, Street Samurai Catalog, Fields of Fire, March 1 Release
BishopMcQ
post Mar 1 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #1

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

It’s the first of the month, that means I spend the day uploading PDFs.

This week, we take a deeper look into the people behind the shadowtalk and get more hints into the true purpose of Horizon’s Dawkins Group and the Consensus.

Everyone’s Watching Everyone

The problem with keeping files about ne’er-do-wells is they’re a curious and clever lot. Curious and clever enough to pilfer those files from the corporate compiler, repost them, and add their own commentary-providing a level of meta-information like you’ve never seen before. Get the scoop on Jackpoint-posters like Kay St. Irregular, Ecotope, Man-of-Many-Names, and Turbo Bunny.

Remember: not everything you read is true. When the two sources of information are Horizon and Jackpoint … all bets are off.

The Jackpointers presented in this download are: Baka Dabora, Ecotope, Fianchetto, Kay St. Irreggular, Lei Kung, Lyran, Man-of-Many-Names, Orbital DK, Riser, and Turbo Bunny. Each has a 2 or 3 page profile.

Product via Catalyst Game Labs – $4.95
Product via DriveThruRPG – $4.95
See you in a couple of weeks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wesley Street
post Mar 2 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,686

Hoo-ha!

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Mar 2 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #3

The back-up plan

Hey folks–

So with yesterday’s release of 10 Jackpointers, we wanted to follow up with some more classic releases. Today we have two Shadowrun, Second Edition books for the street sam in all of us: Fields of Fire and the Street Samurai’s Catalog. We also have a preview of the Table of Contents for 10 Jackpointers.

10 Jackpointers

Table of Contents

Product via Catalyst Game Labs – $4.95
Product via DriveThruRPG – $4.95

Fields of Fire

The streets are a violent place, as dangerous as any battlefield. And the lessons men and women learn on those fields of fire can save their reputations-and their lives-in any combat situation.

Fields of Fire is the mercenary sourcebook for Shadowrun. Information on how to act like a professional merc, and pages of new weapons, support gear, and optional combat-rules clarifications and expansions make this book something no merc, or runner, should live without.

Product via Catalyst Game Labs – $7.50
Product via DriveThruRPG – $7.50

Street Samurai’s Catalog

You’re the ultimate fighting machine. A predator-for-hire in the savage urban world of Shadowrun. You’ve devoted your life to honing your combat and martial skills. The tools of your trade are airfoil grenades, form-fitting body armor, and an Ares Crusader machine pistol. An expansion for Shadowrun, the Street Samurai Catalog will let you outfit yourself with the latest equipment available on the black market: retractable hand razors, ultrasonic sights, enhanced reflexes, and maybe a rangefinder for your cybereyes. Whatever you need to get the job done, you can find it here, but it won’t be cheap. And remember to watch your back before someone decides to make you yesterday’s news.

Product via Catalyst Game Labs – $6.00
Product via DriveThruRPG – $6.00

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 3 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

You may now commence kvetching about how we didn't do your favorite shadowtalker.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Mar 3 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #5

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Hell, most of my favorite Shadowtalkers aren't even *in* SR4 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Mar 3 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

Pleasantly surprised with 10 Shadowtalkers, nice to have 4th edition commentators fleshed out.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Mar 3 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

On a related note, how are experiences with paypal? Is it safe to use?

+Quote Post
Tycho
post Mar 3 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,495

I had no problems so far, works good.

cya
Tycho

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Mar 4 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 3 2010, 12:47 AM) *
You may now commence kvetching about how we didn't do your favorite shadowtalker.

Can I kvetch about how you did a shadowtalker I hate?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 4 2010, 01:34 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Certs.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Mar 4 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Mar 1 2010, 11:01 PM) *
get more hints into the true purpose of the Consensus.

The what-now?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 4 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

[Redacted] Horizon [Redacted] fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord...

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Mar 4 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Well, I knew that, cos I heard the Dawkins Group was Horizons Social Strike Team equivalent. I've got the PDF, and it sounds like it's an AI or something?

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Mar 4 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 2 2010, 04:47 PM) *

I can't believe that Neon Samurai and Steel Lynx weren't in there! Ugh! =P

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Mar 4 2010, 07:05 PM
Post #15

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

While i was initially skeptical of some of the picks you had me from the interaction between Baka Dabora and Kane, that and I'll be using Baka Dabora in tonight run so it was certainly money well spent. If i had one little complaint it would be that there are no stat blocks for these guys. While i can certainly understand the argument behind that as a GM it would have been nice to even have something vague to go off of especially if my characters tried to contact such individuals.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Mar 5 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Are we likely to see more books like this, featuring JackPointers exclusively? Also, I noticed on the intro screen, it pointed to a file called 30 Rides, any info on that?

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Mar 5 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #17

The back-up plan

Xahn--

We are going to be doing more PDF exclusive products, though I don't have another 10 Jackpointer project scheduled at the moment. 30 Rides is another project coming up soon. It's about thirty rides.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Mar 6 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #18

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

It's nice. I haven't finished reading it. One thing that would have made a big difference is that I would have liked stats (other than TurboBunny's, thankyou). I worry that the devs aren't running Shadowrun anymore and have forgotten that it's more than just a setting, it's a game. Certainly I can improvise stats for these characters, but it would be helpful if they were pre-done. If this is just for reading, then it's fine. But I might want to suddenly drop Lyran into the game as a contact or Riser as a nemesis. I understand that this means players could then *gasp* kill cannon characters. I'm good with that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

K.

+Quote Post
Khyron
post Mar 6 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,367

10 Jackpointers is an excellent read.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Mar 6 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #20

The back-up plan

Riser's stats will be published in an upcoming project. For the record, the devs and freelancers went to the mat over the "stats or no stats" debate. Yes, the statement of "if we stat it they will kill it" came up, but ultimately, we didn't want to limit the writers in the future. Many of our other projects will be including stats and crunch.

And for the record, the three of us in Seattle play Shadowrun together on a weekly basis. I'll have to ask around for our folks who work remotely.

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post Mar 6 2010, 10:29 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Mar 6 2010, 01:29 PM) *
And for the record, the three of us in Seattle play Shadowrun together on a weekly basis. I'll have to ask around for our folks who work remotely.

I have a Shadowrun game group that meets on average 2 times a month.

Jason H.

+Quote Post
erik
post Mar 7 2010, 03:56 AM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 17,691

Has anyone compiled an exhaustive list or so of all the JackPointers? I know there was a list ("Jackpoint User List") released as a PDF that had 57 on there, but there are some that didn't get on that list... like Change Agent. DefCon5, /dev/grrl, Pyramid Watcher, et al. I'm assuming they are new users or ones invited by FastJack to contribute info on specific files (sourcebooks). How many users have access to FastJack's VPN?

For what it's worth, I'm all for leaving out stats for JackPointers and prime runners, that gives me the freedom (as a GM) to make them as powerful as they need to be to survive. Take a published sample character or contact that resembles the JackPointer, boost the attributes/skills a bit, add a lot of Edge/Karma, & voila!

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 7 2010, 04:09 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

This is the current list of regular JackPoint users:
/dev/grrl (new addition)
2XL
Am-mut
Arete
Aufheben
Axis Mundi
Baka Dabora
Beaker
Black Mamba
Butch
Clockwork
Cosmo
DangerSensei
Dr. Spin
Ecotope
Elijah
Ethernaut
FastJack
Fatima (deceased)
Fianchetto
Frosty
Glasswalker
Glitch
Goat Foot
Hannibelle
Hard Exit
Haze
Icarus
Jimmy No
Kane
Kat o' Nine Tales
Kay St. Irregular
Kia
Lei Kung (new addition)
Lyran
Ma'fan
Man-of-Many-Names
Marcos
Mihoshi Oni
Mika
Mr. Bonds
Nephrine
Netcat
Orbital DK
Picador
Pistons
Plan 9
Puck (missing)
Red Anya
Rigger X
Riser
Slamm-0!
Smiling Bandit
Snopes
Sounder
Sticks
Stone (new addition)
Sunshine
Traveler Jones
Turbo Bunny
Winterhawk

The others like KAM, Pyramid Watcher, Otaku Zuku, et al. are guest users who do not have regular access.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Mar 7 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #24

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Mar 6 2010, 05:29 PM) *
Riser's stats will be published in an upcoming project. For the record, the devs and freelancers went to the mat over the "stats or no stats" debate. Yes, the statement of "if we stat it they will kill it" came up, but ultimately, we didn't want to limit the writers in the future. Many of our other projects will be including stats and crunch.

Great to hear. As regards "if it has stats they will kill it", my opinion is "good". We don't want any Elminsters in Shadowrun and whilst I personally like the IEs in moderation, the eruptions of scorn on these forums when they come up gives a flavour of how much some people like the statless wonders.

The converse of "if it has stats they will kill it", is that "if it doesn't have stats, it can't kill them". Seriously, if Turbo Bunny has no stats, then she can't get in an insanely dangerous road duel with my group. If Man of Many Names doesn't have six initiate levels and a Magic rating of ten, then he can't cut my mage player's character to silver ribbons in Astral combat. This is Shadowrun and it don't cause cancer, have hit points or ancient Mary Sue archmages. Instead it's a game where everything is a little bit riskier, but also a little more rewarding as a consequence. I say if that's how it is for the players, then extend that to the GM. Stick Riser or Clockwork into your game and watch the more knowledgeable players freak out. I connected the players up to Jackpoint in an adventure and watched one player going nuts as he was torn apart by out of character knowledge. But the impact was totally worth it because it suddenly drew him into the setting in a way he hadn't been before. This was actually one of the characters from the setting he was talking to. Totally worth it, but the only fair way of doing this is if the characters have actual attributes, not just GM handwavium. My 0.02¥, anyway. Others may differ.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Mar 7 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #25

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Mar 6 2010, 12:29 PM) *

I'm currently playing in one regular game that meets twice a month (Got a game in about 2 hours, actually (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ), and just got our Missions game back up and running, which will be once a month.

I really miss the days of playing 3+ times a week (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bull

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.