Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shamanic Adept ?
Delarn
post Mar 2 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,963

Are they seem has somatic tradition or they are seen has shamanic ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 2 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

In previous editions, there were three distinct flavors of magician you could talk about. There was the shamanic adept, which was an aspected magician who could only cast magic relevant to their totem; there was the physical adept that followed the totem way, which was essentially a physad with a totem; and there was a physical magician, which was essentially a mystic adept an could have a totem.

In SR4 terms, any flavor of magician, mystic adept, or adept could have a mentor spirit.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Mar 2 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

I know that I'm playing since 15 years ! (maybe be more I don't remember when we started Shadowrunning ! )

The Shamanic way for the adept is concidered to be from a somatic tradition or a shamanic one ?

By the way I miss that system !

Other question Can a Mystic Adept take the Aspected Mage negative quality ? (To be able to cast only spells from a certain type (ie from the totem or something that fits the background ? )

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 2 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Delarn @ Mar 2 2010, 02:01 PM) *
Other question Can a Mystic Adept take the Aspected Mage negative quality ? (To be able to cast only spells from a certain type (ie from the totem or something that fits the background ? )

I don't see why not.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 2 2010, 07:06 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Uh...a regular adept (phyad in SR1, SR2, and SR3 terms) doesn't have a tradition. Mystic adepts do choose a tradition, such as Shamanic. Unless the book says you can't combine those qualities, you can.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Mar 2 2010, 07:30 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 2 2010, 02:06 PM) *
Uh...a regular adept (phyad in SR1, SR2, and SR3 terms) doesn't have a tradition. Mystic adepts do choose a tradition, such as Shamanic. Unless the book says you can't combine those qualities, you can.

QUOTE (SM p.45)
THE SHAMANIC WAY
More common among tribal cultures but increasingly seen
among urban tribes,the shamanic adept—also called a follower of the Animal way—follows a totem spirit in a manner similar to a shaman.However, not only do shamanic adepts believe they are soul bonded to a particular mentor spirit, but such adepts perceive their totem (normally an animal) as an idealized model to emulate, something from which to draw power. Shamanic adepts try to embody the qualities and abilities of their totem animal, seeing this as a path in itself. The adept’s own powers are ofen seen as gifs of the mentor spirit, and as such mimic enhanced versions of the totem’s natural abilities. Some go so far as to take geasa on their abilities in keeping with the mentor spirit’s personality and behavior. There are even those that have been known to exhibit shamanic mask (p.168,SR4) when calling on their powers.
Various Asian martial arts boast “animal-like” abilities and techniques, though their approach to totemic power is entirely diferent. Adepts trained in these traditions distill the animal’s natural savagery through Zen techniques until they are at one with the beast and channel its abilities.

Are those counted has Shaman or has Adept for joining a group ?

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Mar 2 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (Delarn @ Mar 2 2010, 02:30 PM) *
Are those counted has Shaman or has Adept for joining a group ?

Adept, because they are adepts. Shamans are able to cast spells, and are simply a kind of mage. Shamanistic Adepts are just a kind of adept.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Mar 2 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

So they can't join a group that doesn't allow Adepts to get in. So I have to rework the character a little to be in that group. He'll be a Mystic Adept then. Aspected to cast only health spell. Should I have a mentor spirit that has the health spell bonus or something that fit the character concept ?

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Mar 2 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #9

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Delarn @ Mar 2 2010, 12:57 PM) *
So they can't join a group that doesn't allow Adepts to get in. So I have to rework the character a little to be in that group. He'll be a Mystic Adept then. Aspected to cast only health spell. Should I have a mentor spirit that has the health spell bonus or something that fit the character concept ?
The answer depends on you. Why do you want the character to have the Mentor spirit? And are the two options mutually exclusive?

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Mar 2 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

The Character Learned he was an Adept by a mentor spirit (Bull) But is only able to cast health spells because of his will to heal other.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Mar 2 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Delarn @ Mar 2 2010, 03:16 PM) *
The Character Learned he was an Adept by a mentor spirit (Bull) But is only able to cast health spells because of his will to heal other.

Okay, now you're being confusing. There are three, and only three kinds of awakened.

There are Adepts.
There are Mystic Adepts.
There are Magicians.

Every awakened character is one of these three. Any other trappings that get tacked on such as 'shamanistic adept' or 'hermetic mage' or 'path of the athlete' or anything else is utterly irrelevant to which of those three they are. If your character can cast spells, it is one of the last two. If your character can't cast spells, then they are the first one (Or possibly the second but doesn't have any magic in spellcasting yet).

AFAIK magic groups don't discriminate on only allowing one of the three types in, though I could be wrong.

+Quote Post
Patrick the Gnom...
post Mar 2 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,863

It probably depends on the group and the ideology. If you're an adept trying to join a group that mostly meets to discuss spell theory and do ritual spellcasting, then you're probably screwed. If you're a traditional berserker, however, and you're trying to join a magical group that meets to observe Norse religious practices and rituals, then you've probably got a shot. I think whether or not you can join a group is more of a GM ruling than a RAW thing.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 2 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Actually, I think that the three are split for magical groups. I'm AFB right now but I do recall seeing it.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Mar 2 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Karoline @ Mar 2 2010, 03:30 PM) *
Okay, now you're being confusing. There are three, and only three kinds of awakened.

There are Adepts.
There are Mystic Adepts.
There are Magicians.

Every awakened character is one of these three. Any other trappings that get tacked on such as 'shamanistic adept' or 'hermetic mage' or 'path of the athlete' or anything else is utterly irrelevant to which of those three they are. If your character can cast spells, it is one of the last two. If your character can't cast spells, then they are the first one (Or possibly the second but doesn't have any magic in spellcasting yet).

AFAIK magic groups don't discriminate on only allowing one of the three types in, though I could be wrong.

He's a mystical Adept following the Shamanic way and being a shaman. His mentor spirit is Bull but that's from his Shamanic way (SM p.45). He can only cast spells to heal people (Health aspected magician) because of his will to save others lifes. That make the character obviously a puzzle and that's great !

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Mar 2 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Then the character is a mystic adept. The character can join any group that will allow a mystic adept. As for tradition, he is also a shaman. I'd imagine any group that lets shamans join would let this person join since he is a shaman, unless they have something against mystic adepts.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Mar 2 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

YEah after tweaking the character with the acceptation of the GM (It hasn't been out in the shadow of Manhattan yet) The character is now a Mystic Adept.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.