Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Counterspelling dice
Glav
post Mar 2 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,411

When attempting to counterspell a spell, it says you add your counterspell dice to the resistance roll. So when they say counterspell dice, is it only those given by the skill, or does that include its linked attribute too? The example in the SR4A book unhelpfully only mentions how many "hits" they got and not what was rolled.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Mar 2 2010, 11:23 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,426

Your Counterspelling pool is the base resist stat (usually Willpower) and Counterspelling. Counterspelling can be either your own skill, or the skill of the mage covering you; I'm not sure if there is stacking when you get two mages together. Anyway, that is all you get to roll; Stat+Counterspelling.

I'm not sure where you would use the linked attribute.

+Quote Post
Glav
post Mar 2 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 2,411

I thought so. Yeah, that's the part that gets me. You could have a magic rating of 20, but unless you put some points into counterspelling, you would be helpless to defend against incomming spells. Seems a bit odd.

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Mar 2 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,426

If it helps, think of it as being a weapons developer who never stopped to think about how to defend against them. Come to think of it, wasn't that the plot of Iron Man? Damien Knight Tony Stark nearly gets killed by his own mortar shell, and realizes that he should put some points into Armor Design? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

On the upside, you can always bind a Counterspelling Focus - that should let you get above the skill limits. I suppose you could also specialize in Counterspelling (Combat Spells) to get a few extra points.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Mar 2 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #5

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Mar 2 2010, 04:23 PM) *
Your Counterspelling pool is the base resist stat (usually Willpower) and Counterspelling. Counterspelling can be either your own skill, or the skill of the mage covering you; I'm not sure if there is stacking when you get two mages together. Anyway, that is all you get to roll; Stat+Counterspelling.

I'm not sure where you would use the linked attribute.

You add the Counterspelling rating to the resisting stat for spells cast at a protected target. To dispel a sustained or quickened spell, you use Counterspelling + Magic.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Mar 3 2010, 09:45 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

Well, a mage could keep a bound spirit in the astral running counterspelling on them and do the teamwork test thing. That's a pretty good defense I suppose, though the teamwork test will likely not add more than a couple dice to the test. If you use an oversummoned spirit, it could take over as the primary dice pool source and provide you with substantial defenses.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Mar 3 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Mar 3 2010, 09:45 AM) *
Well, a mage could keep a bound spirit in the astral running counterspelling on them and do the teamwork test thing. That's a pretty good defense I suppose, though the teamwork test will likely not add more than a couple dice to the test. If you use an oversummoned spirit, it could take over as the primary dice pool source and provide you with substantial defenses.

There's another counterspelling thread somewhere that discussed counterspelling wrt the astral/physical plane divide. I think it was the general consensus that to use counterspelling on someone you must share the same plane (where dual-natured beings are considered present on both). Even if I'm mistaken about the consensus, I would still take this position on the grounds that spells themselves cannot cross the divide.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.