Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chronic Osteocuspis, Not just for Elves
durthang
post Feb 11 2004, 09:38 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,668

The other day I borrowed Year of the Comet from my GM. Looking over the rules for Surge, I couldn’t help but notice chronic osteocuspis. Being the group’s ED GM, my first thought is the thorns from Blood Wood. The problem is, only the Elves of Blood Wood (and a few Windlings, but that’s besides the point) underwent the Ritual of the Thorns, and chronic osteocuspis can happen to anyone who Surges.

Does anyone have any theory about why this is? I’ve already looked through Ancient History’s site, and did a search of DS, and came up with only a passing reference in the ED/SR crossover section.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 11 2004, 12:26 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

well, the genes are all mixed up--everyone's got a little ork, troll, elf, dwarf, and norm in them. the thorn gene got mutated in the millennia since it last expressed, so that anyone who has it might express it, regardless of race.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 11 2004, 12:48 PM
Post #3

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Maybe the effect of the mana surge in that particular instance resembles to Ritual of Thorns.

+Quote Post
durthang
post Feb 11 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #4

Target

Maybe the effect of the mana surge in that particular instance resembles to Ritual of Thorns.

Possible, but I wouldn't be a good, paranoid shadow runner if i thought it was that simple.

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Feb 11 2004, 03:56 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

mfb about sums it up for me. That ritual is pretty powerful, maybe parts of it got linked with the genetic code of the recipients and passed on, but only if the right bits combined would it manifest. After 5000+ years, there's enough random chance of mising to get the results you see from SURGE. Remember it affects a very small percentage of the population and the % of those that will get the effect you're talking about is even smaller.

+Quote Post
durthang
post Feb 11 2004, 05:56 PM
Post #6

Target

Spotlight and mfb, that makes alot of sence to me. After all, there has never been a cannon resolution to the corruption of the Blood Wood, so perhaps there never was one. Also makes for some rather nasty implications.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.