Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need some campaign help, How to migrate to Cyberpirates
GoldenAri
post Feb 11 2004, 05:20 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,935

Okay. So I've read the cyberpirates book and think the whole setting in the caribbean is awesome. I'd like to run a pirates game where the team is trying to carve a niche out for themselves and the whole be your own boss bit.

Here's the problem. I don't want to end the current campaign and characters and start over. The team I run for has done a few smuggling jobs and found them to be pretty lucrative, and entertaining. They even have a boat (which they used for a smuggling run into CalFree). I've got an idea for a smuggling run that gets them into the area, but how do I convince them to stay and be pirates?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 11 2004, 05:25 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Being wanted in most of the territories that separte them and home is a good start usually. (Whether they did the crime in question is another story)

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Feb 11 2004, 05:31 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

Well, people relocate for either money or sex. So either screw all your players, or give their characters a couple easy pirate missions.
Also, if you can get one of the team killed, and replace him with a "local" that makes it a lot easier, cause the team will then have some contacts in the area.

+Quote Post
BonJoviJones
post Feb 11 2004, 05:34 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 4,893

I'd take it out-of-character, and tell them you'd like the next part of the campaign to be cyber-pirates. Let them roleplay wanting to become pirates (and if they do well sprinkle some karma around). Someting like having them meet a pirate crew that just made a big haul and is partying like crazy. A lot of shadowrunners (mine at least) tend to dig that sort of thing.

In any case, no reason to go underhanded with it. If the players aren't on board (pardon the pun) it may get a little weird, because Cyberpirates is supposed to step around the GM-decides-the-course-of-events model.

And if you really want them to be pirates and they refuse... getting shanghai'd w/ brain bombs should be enough to make them work on a crew for awhile ;)

+Quote Post
Dax
post Feb 11 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,013

It might help if you have them watch Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl first. If anything got me in the mood to give Cyberpirates a try it was watching Captain Jack Sparrow do his thing in that movie.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 11 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #6

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

And if you really want them to be pirates and they refuse... getting shanghai'd w/ brain bombs should be enough to make them work on a crew for awhile 

I like the way you think :D

+Quote Post
Req
post Feb 11 2004, 05:43 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (Dax)
It might help if you have them watch Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl first. If anything got me in the mood to give Cyberpirates a try it was watching Captain Jack Sparrow do his thing in that movie.

"But you HAVE heard of me..." 8)

+Quote Post
GoldenAri
post Feb 11 2004, 05:47 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

And if you really want them to be pirates and they refuse... getting shanghai'd w/ brain bombs should be enough to make them work on a crew for awhile

Then if they escape they might stick around to get revenge (or at least enough cash to get back home). That could definately be do able, but requires them to lose a battle. Something they aren't very good at.

+Quote Post
BonJoviJones
post Feb 11 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #9

Target

They have a boat? Pirate attack! Surely a group of land-lubber shadowrunners won't expect the other pirate's scuba-elf with the underwater demolitions, right?

When your boat is sinking, you have very little bargaining power. Heck, if they try to fight it out, blow up the damn boat, give them all a serious wound, and have them floating in the water. Do they still want to fight? If you don't pull any punches, they'll almost certainly die (Which they should, if only as a lesson to respect the fact that sometimes you're beat)

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 11 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #10

Guests

They've done smuggling before, so... set up a series of smuggling situations for them to first cross North America. If your games follow (relatively) the RL time of year, then they're going to be praying for somewhere warm right now anyway, and especially once you've got them halfway to Minneapolis-St. Paul and they're already praying because their ride may or may not get them across Middle of Nowhere, Athabasca; unless they go through Sioux, which presents its own unique challenges as well as being colder than fuck. Emphasize how much better the Carib is this time of year: the sun, rum, girls (or boys. YMMV), etc. are being mentioned on the radio/trid/etc. The Spring Break specials are going to be starting soon and the promos are running every 30 seconds, and so on. Once they get to Minneapolis, send them down to St. Louis, and then... hehehe... New Orleans.

By the time they get to NOLA, they probably don't want to ever go back (Hell, I wouldn't, and I live in a warm climate). Make the natural progression to some short-range smuggling, maybe a mission or two out past Borinquen. I am planning on starting a cyberpirate campaign myself (starring mfb) where the first mission is from the Caymans to transport "something" from New Orleans. Well, have them sent after an equivalent character, and succeed. If they don't screw up, they should now have something valuable and other pirates are going to be going after them. But, once they get a taste of life... entice them. Sex, drugs, and money are significant motivators for anyone, but for a bunch of cybered up PCs (especially if you have a rigger, then he's God) in a mostly cyber-free piracy market. They could be Kings.

Dropping them into the Carib is no fun, and makes it seem all the more fleeting. However, the more it seems like a journey (or escape) to someplace really swank, the more likely it should be to be accepted and enjoyed. I'd slowly send them southeast using the above method (or one like it), and you get all sorts of adventures in other cities and incentives for them to get the F out of dodge.

+Quote Post
Rev
post Feb 11 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

You could also give them some sort of "good thing" that they cannot take with them if they leave the carribean.

Maybe just a really good contact that brings them up a notch on the pay scale, but only works down there.

Maybe another boat, or something, that they can't easily bring back wherever they were.

I also really like the idea of more or less banishing them from wherever they were. Arrange to have them cross, or be crossed by, someone powerful on thier way out.

+Quote Post
GoldenAri
post Feb 11 2004, 07:20 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

They've got a rigger and are cybered and have a none too shabby shaman, that's why I thought they'd actually have a chance to make a real name for themselves down there instead of cowering in the shadows of Seattle all the time.

Good point on playing up the niceties of living in the caribbean.

Scuba elves taking out their boat...that could work as long as the rigger doesn't notice (though I think he'd need sonar for that).

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 11 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the simplest way, to me, would be to use an overarching job or goal set in the carib. let's say Mr. Johnson is a corp exec whose priceless art treasure was recently stolen, and the team is hired to track it down. the trail leads them to the carib, where they mix it up with the locals and make a name for themselves over the course of 5-6 or more runs. once the priceless art treasure has been reacquired and payments settled, you and your players have the choice of remaining in the carib and doing the pirate thing, or--if you've all satisfied your piratical urges--heading back to seattle for more traditional running.

many players might be resistant if you say 'hey, let's totally change the focus of our campaign'. but if you draw them into a change, holding out a goal for them to achieve while you put them through their paces, it'll be easier to persuade them.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Feb 12 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #14

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

The easiest way is to simply present them with a run that involves them having to somewhere like Havana for the job. Have it come to them through a firendly fixer. And have part of the payment be that travel costs/flights are taken care of and that at completion they get a fortnight before the return tickets. So they go down, do the job and then veg out on abeach for a couple weeks.

During the job though they're going to need contacts and information on the new location, so have the fixer the job came through give them the contact details of a friendly local fixer he's done business with in the past. Half way though the after-run holiday the local fixer comes to them with a serious rush job that he needs/wants outsiders to handle because for whatever reason locals can't be used and he already knows they're in the area, good and vouched for. From there just lead them into it.

Maybe the rush job requires the use of a boat or some piratical type activities. Have them run into pirates/runners during their time there that talk up how much cash there is to make or how good it is to make your own work, not get yanked about by a Johnson and generally talk up the locale.

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Feb 12 2004, 01:07 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

Are any of my players going to pipe up on this?

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Feb 12 2004, 01:35 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Only to ask, "Why would you need to force anyone into piracy?"

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Feb 12 2004, 02:18 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

Arrrg... the sea she be a harsh mistress... er... mon.

*has nothing of value to add, just practicing hokey Jamaican pirate voice*

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Feb 12 2004, 03:03 AM
Post #18

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Nikoli)

I like the way you think :D

Ugh. If any of my GM's had tried that I'd have just walked away from the game. And possibly the group if he kept it up.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Feb 12 2004, 03:17 AM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

*whistles innocently, has never done that, nope*

+Quote Post
BonJoviJones
post Feb 12 2004, 04:07 PM
Post #20

Target

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Ugh. If any of my GM's had tried that I'd have just walked away from the game. And possibly the group if he kept it up.

Hehe, if you we're my player and walked away over _that_ I'd toss you a pacifier and say keep walking.

Seriously, what's wrong with the players getting screwed once in a while? Is 2060 supposed to be all rosy-happy? Do bad things never happen to PC's? Cyberpunk is not D&D ;)

The mark of a good team is the ability to get out of crap, and doing so provides for a good deal of roleplaying and underhanded trickery (a good part of any shadowrun). As long as the GM isn't causing (much) long term character damage (ie, yanking the decker's deck) it's just another run.

Give a GM credit for doing something out of the ordinary once in a while.

+Quote Post
tjn
post Feb 12 2004, 05:31 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

From: Fresno, CFS: taking out one durned furriner at a time.
Member No.: 5,940

QUOTE (BonJoviJones)
QUOTE (FlakJacket)

Hehe, if you we're my player and walked away over _that_ I'd toss you a pacifier and say keep walking.

Seriously, what's wrong with the players getting screwed once in a while? Is 2060 supposed to be all rosy-happy? Do bad things never happen to PC's? Cyberpunk is not D&D ;)

The mark of a good team is the ability to get out of crap, and doing so provides for a good deal of roleplaying and underhanded trickery (a good part of any shadowrun). As long as the GM isn't causing (much) long term character damage (ie, yanking the decker's deck) it's just another run.

Give a GM credit for doing something out of the ordinary once in a while.

Here's the difference BJJ:

If the players wouldn't want a cyberpirates game, they shouldn't have their characters forced into it. The players should never be screwed, this is not a competition and the players are not just there for the GM's amusement.

Everyone is there to have a good time. The GM forcing the players to play a certain way that they don't want to is non-condusive to that whole having a good time thing.

If the players are all cool with it, but don't have an IC reason to do it, and agree that'd be a cool way, hey, cool beans.

But if the players are all gung ho about playing a go-ganger campaign, taking on land trains and battling for respect and their street corner... and then the GM fits them with all with bombs to force them to play a cyberpirates game?

Characters, fine. But not players.

+Quote Post
GoldenAri
post Feb 12 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

I agree Tjn, and that why I'll looking for ideas. I wanted them to have a legimate reason for staying, and I wanted them to be excited about the possiblities that awaited them there.

I have told them that I was thinking about it and the response was mostly neutral, but then the response is always mostly neutral. Only person who was excited was the rigger, and I think that more has to do with the prospect of naval scale weapons.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Feb 12 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #23

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

QUOTE (Large Mike)
Are any of my players going to pipe up on this?

What? And spoil the fun? :D
But seriously, this is something you HAVE to talk to your players with first. After all, no players no charcters. Once that is done, then have at it. Have them out on a run and get attacked by the sea swine. Convince them that crime on the high seas is fun stuff. Booze, women, death, distruction and all the bad puns they can beat with a awakened cyber shark.

+Quote Post
BonJoviJones
post Feb 12 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #24

Target

QUOTE (tjn @ Feb 12 2004, 05:31 PM)
Here's the difference BJJ:

If the players wouldn't want a cyberpirates game, they shouldn't have their characters forced into it.

Look, read my first post in the thread. I advocated that. I had a throw-away comment about cranial bombs, which was meant at least 43% in jest.

Then someone says they'd walk out over that, to which I reply s/he should suck it up.

Then you reply, and oddly enough my first post agrees with your disagreement of a reply I made to someone that disagreed with the last sentence of my first post (that you'd agree with).

So... what were you explaining to me?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:23 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.