Reply to this topicStart new topic
> more questions about the matrix
makari
post Mar 7 2010, 03:10 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,242

I keep having little questions and for some I find answers pretty quickly but i figured I'd start this post to help me get some input and clarification on these things.

1. if I spoof a command for a drone to slave itself to my commlink instead of it's current node... and it works, he is now slaved to my commlink, does this mean that he now recognized my personal commlink admin account as his master? or would I still need to spoof commands or hack an account in order to control him? also, when the drone switches to be slaved to my commlink what happens from the security riggers point of view? does the drone just dissappear from his network so that he would need to scan for the signal and start from scratch to get that drone back?

2. can spoofed commands be given a timer? so you could spoof a series of drones to all slave themselves to your commlink in 20 seconds giving you time to issue the orders to all your targets and then setup a jammer so that all the drones switch to your control and then a jammer goes off hopefully killing the security riggers connection? if you give a spoofed command a 20 second timer, is there a reasonable chance that security personel might notice the spoofed command before it goes off? or would it not register as anything unusual until after it went off?

3. If I have hacked into a node and want to checkout what forms of protection is has and how they are configured how would I do this? a simple matrix perception test? at what level? my main goal would probably be to find out if there is an active security hacker or rigger, and if so where he is physically and what programs he has available... so how would I go about that without setting any alarms off?

4. for run assistance, lets say a stereotypical warehouse break in, lets say there's a spider with a network of security camera's, door controls, and various freight drones and maybe 1-2 surveilance or combat drones. so we're planning the run and I'm the hacker going to clear the way for the party... is it possible to hack in, make an account, and then do things like loop camera's, open and close doors, have a drone load our cargo for us... without the spider noticing? I dont see how but I'm curious.. and if I'm right and it's not really feasable(sp?) then what's my best option for taking out the spider, or atleast taking control long enough to do the run?

Thanks for your input, you guys are really helping me understand the whole matrix section much better

I'll be adding more questions as they come up
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SleepIncarnate
post Mar 7 2010, 03:26 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,931

1. I don't think you can spoof a slave command, but if you could, then it would most likely be slaved to both devices and accept commands from both equally.

2. No

3. Matrix Perception Test, yes. The more successes you get, the more information you get, as you'll need to surpass the stealth rating of anything with it running to detect what it is.

4. Depends on the spider, some are on the ball and looking for stuff like that, others not so much.

+Quote Post
makari
post Mar 7 2010, 04:03 AM
Post #3

Target

spoofing a slave command is an example given in unwired, in the advanced spoofing section, can 1 thing be slaved to 2 devices

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Mar 7 2010, 04:11 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 18,155

While we're at it, I've been having some thoughts on data bombs. Can you put them in pretty much...anything? Like, a data bomb in a drone? Someone's cyberware? How about a smartlinked gun or even a missile launcher? Further, how does one deal with a data bomb attached to a node? Do you do a matrix perception test on the node itself before trying to hack it, disarming any bomb you find, and THEN hacking an account?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 7 2010, 04:26 AM
Post #5

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Faraday @ Mar 6 2010, 09:11 PM) *
While we're at it, I've been having some thoughts on data bombs. Can you put them in pretty much...anything? Like, a data bomb in a drone? Someone's cyberware? How about a smartlinked gun or even a missile launcher? Further, how does one deal with a data bomb attached to a node? Do you do a matrix perception test on the node itself before trying to hack it, disarming any bomb you find, and THEN hacking an account?

You can indeed attach a Data Bomb to either a File or Hardware... though only a single bomb to a file or access point/port...

Dealing with a Data Bomb attached to a node is pretty easy in concept... First, you find the node, then you decrypt the node, then you scan the port on the node (Matrix perception, looking for any Data Bombs that you might encounter upon passage through the port) and if there is one (Hopefully, it is not Stealthed), then you defuse it... if you win the defuse test, the bomb is defused... you may now attempt to enter the actual node via a hack...

If the Data Bomb is fairly powerful and your Defuse Program is not, this becomes a very risky proposition...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Mar 7 2010, 04:34 AM
Post #6

Running Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 6 2010, 08:26 PM) *
You can indeed attach a Data Bomb to either a File or Hardware... though only a single bomb to a file or access point/port...

Dealing with a Data Bomb attached to a node is pretty easy in concept... First, you find the node, then you decrypt the node, then you scan the port on the node (Matrix perception, looking for any Data Bombs that you might encounter upon passage through the port) and if there is one (Hopefully, it is not Stealthed), then you defuse it... if you win the defuse test, the bomb is defused... you may now attempt to enter the actual node via a hack...

If the Data Bomb is fairly powerful and your Defuse Program is not, this becomes a very risky proposition...

Keep the Faith

Awesome, my rigger will be planting rating 5 pavlov data bombs in his drones and his team's PANs and nodes to help keep them safe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 7 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Faraday @ Mar 6 2010, 09:34 PM) *
Awesome, my rigger will be planting rating 5 pavlov data bombs in his drones and his team's PANs and nodes to help keep them safe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Remember, though, they are really only speed bumps to the skilled Hacker... I would also recommend keeping an IC program handy and in teh nodes to deal with anything that comes through... Maybe something that monitors the state of the Data Bomb and if it is disabled alerts your IC (Or Spider) about the Intrusion Attempt... still may not be effective, though, especially with someone using a good Stealth Program...

Pavlov is a good option, but if the Data Bomb is actually defused, Pavlov will have no real function... There is an IC package out there (called the Singularity Encore) that is used to counter that very problem... it monitors a program package (generally IC) and then reactivates it the pass after it goes down... which makes hacking it a bitch, as the Hacker has only that single pass to gain access before the IC reactivates the program...

Expect something like a Disarm Program to be utilized against the Data Bomb if you use this tactic...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Kumo
post Mar 7 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,594

QUOTE (makari @ Mar 7 2010, 06:03 AM) *
spoofing a slave command is an example given in unwired, in the advanced spoofing section, can 1 thing be slaved to 2 devices

But isn't it hazardous? Enemy hacker/spider is still connected to the drone, and he can track you using your connection.

+Quote Post
makari
post Mar 7 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #9

Target

that's really what my question is... can the drone be slaved to both at once? or does doing this cut the riggers connection forcing him to start from scratch with searching for the signal?

how about spoofing a command for the drone to change itself to your frequency instead of the riggers so that you could spoof the command and then use a jammer allowing your communications still ( and your new drone friend)

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Mar 7 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 7 2010, 07:31 AM) *
Remember, though, they are really only speed bumps to the skilled Hacker... I would also recommend keeping an IC program handy and in teh nodes to deal with anything that comes through... Maybe something that monitors the state of the Data Bomb and if it is disabled alerts your IC (Or Spider) about the Intrusion Attempt... still may not be effective, though, especially with someone using a good Stealth Program...

Pavlov is a good option, but if the Data Bomb is actually defused, Pavlov will have no real function... There is an IC package out there (called the Singularity Encore) that is used to counter that very problem... it monitors a program package (generally IC) and then reactivates it the pass after it goes down... which makes hacking it a bitch, as the Hacker has only that single pass to gain access before the IC reactivates the program...

Expect something like a Disarm Program to be utilized against the Data Bomb if you use this tactic...

Keep the Faith

Well, the rigger is also more or less the team spider (he's primarily hacker but is also the only one who does rigging), so that shouldn't be an issue. A little IC to help watch things is a good idea though.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 8 2010, 12:29 AM
Post #11

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 7 2010, 06:31 PM) *

The FAQ (I believe) states that Data Bombs only count as running once they are activated. So you need something like a custom IC that'd know about the Data Bomb and check if it's still there once in a while.

+Quote Post
makari
post Mar 8 2010, 01:29 AM
Post #12

Target

how would putting data bombs into these odd locations work? like putting it in a smartlinked gun, or a drone, or a piece of cyberware?

would it go off upon that devices activation or would it act as security only going off if a hacker attempted to enter that node?

+Quote Post
makari
post Mar 8 2010, 01:58 AM
Post #13

Target

also, is there a situation where a hacker would benefit from having a nexus over a standard commlink? it seems like having the extra process limit would be beneficial but I'm still learning the system so there may be some reason why for security or some other reason i wouldn't want one.

+Quote Post
makari
post Mar 8 2010, 02:46 AM
Post #14

Target

there was an example somewhere (can't remember where now) of making an audio recording of a busy street for a full hour, and then using that as your encryption key for your signal, ensuring that you have atleast 1 hour of unhindered signal because it takes atleast an hour for the encryption key to cycle and thus be recognized...

if that's true then am I to assume that attempts to decrypt most secure site wireless transmissions would be in prolonged intervals of hours or so? or did I misread this somehow?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 8 2010, 02:55 AM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 7 2010, 05:29 PM) *
The FAQ (I believe) states that Data Bombs only count as running once they are activated. So you need something like a custom IC that'd know about the Data Bomb and check if it's still there once in a while.

Which is indeed what happens... An Analysis of the file or port will tell you if one is there, though hopefully, it is not being hidden... there is nothing more rude than having a hidden Data Bomb ruin your day... we had our Technomancer set one off (he did not look for it) for a peasly 12 boxes of Damage (GM rolled a 2; I believe that the Data Bomb was rated at 6, so it could have been a lot worse)

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Mar 8 2010, 04:44 AM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (makari @ Mar 7 2010, 05:29 PM) *
how would putting data bombs into these odd locations work? like putting it in a smartlinked gun, or a drone, or a piece of cyberware?

would it go off upon that devices activation or would it act as security only going off if a hacker attempted to enter that node?

Basically, if someone tries to access a bombed node (anything with a computer connected to a PAN) or file via matrix, their icon takes 5d6 boxes of damage unless they enter a password. 5d6 averages out to 17-18DV which means you generally end up with an icon crash.

If I was REALLY nasty, I could add a psychotrophic mod. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)

+Quote Post
SleepIncarnate
post Mar 8 2010, 04:50 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,931

That's assuming it's rating 5, a starter data bomb might not be as high, deemed a less important program (and TMs rarely start with it, instead threading when necessary). Also keep in mind, that damage can still be resisted, which is again an area where the rating of the system, armor, etc of the person hit takes effect.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 8 2010, 04:54 AM
Post #18

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 8 2010, 05:55 AM) *
Which is indeed what happens... An Analysis of the file or port will tell you if one is there, though hopefully, it is not being hidden...

Actually, the question here, the one I was answering to, is how to make a node IC act on the bomb being disarmed, not how to detect one as the intruder. And my point is - Singularity Encore doesn't work for that, you need custom IC.

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Mar 8 2010, 05:37 AM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Mar 7 2010, 08:50 PM) *
That's assuming it's rating 5, a starter data bomb might not be as high, deemed a less important program (and TMs rarely start with it, instead threading when necessary). Also keep in mind, that damage can still be resisted, which is again an area where the rating of the system, armor, etc of the person hit takes effect.
Well, true. I was just going with my rating 5 pavlov databomb. A rating 6 system with 6 armor is going to roll 12 dice to stage down icon damage, which usually amounts to 4 hits. That means the bomb would still do 13-14 damage on average, which will crash just about any icon not running on milspec commlinks.

+Quote Post
makari
post Mar 8 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #20

Target

how about my question about the use of a nexus? it seems handy to have such a high process limit, is there a real downside to it?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 9 2010, 02:11 AM
Post #21

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (makari @ Mar 8 2010, 05:18 AM) *
how about my question about the use of a nexus? it seems handy to have such a high process limit, is there a real downside to it?

Not exceptionally portable...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 9 2010, 02:14 AM
Post #22

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 7 2010, 09:54 PM) *
Actually, the question here, the one I was answering to, is how to make a node IC act on the bomb being disarmed, not how to detect one as the intruder. And my point is - Singularity Encore doesn't work for that, you need custom IC.

Why would a Singularity Encore IC not work... it reactivates programs that have been deactivated... says so right in the description... it would not work while it is being deactivated, sine it happens (or not) in a single pass, but once the program goes down, the IC can Reactivate it on its turn... I am pretty sure that a system will notice when a program goes down, as those are generally tracked (ie... they are allocated a slot in the response limit, when that slot free's up, the system knows that the program has stopped running, and the SE can then reactivate it)... simplified explanation, I know, but essentially what happens as descriptive...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 9 2010, 02:17 AM
Post #23

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (makari @ Mar 7 2010, 07:46 PM) *
there was an example somewhere (can't remember where now) of making an audio recording of a busy street for a full hour, and then using that as your encryption key for your signal, ensuring that you have atleast 1 hour of unhindered signal because it takes atleast an hour for the encryption key to cycle and thus be recognized...

if that's true then am I to assume that attempts to decrypt most secure site wireless transmissions would be in prolonged intervals of hours or so? or did I misread this somehow?

You can enable what is known as Strong Encryption, which has a varying interval... if you want 1 Hour Strong Encryption, the interval becomes 1 Hour... I believe that it can go as high as 24 hours/Interval... but that is a ludicrous increment in my opinion, as any system failure that requires a reboot would require 24 hours for the encryption to once again take hold... you would never get any real work done...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
makari
post Mar 9 2010, 03:30 AM
Post #24

Target

ahha thanks for pointing out that that type of encryption would require that amount of time added to reboots and such, this is the downside I was looking for, without which it didn't make sense for every corp to have 24hr cycle encryptions.

+Quote Post
makari
post Mar 9 2010, 03:33 AM
Post #25

Target

although thinking from current real life situations it still doesn't make sense

since most of these corps could afford a backup server or 2 so they could afford to power cycle the gateway machines to implement the 24 hour encryption over a course of time without any onsite interruption...

but we'll assume this is too cost prohibitive or ineffective for some reason.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.