Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Evo, what are they doing on Mars?
Daylen
post Mar 7 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,952

They are a biotech and nanomachine company, so are they using the base to do cutting edge research where none can see and steal the tech? or perhaps they needed a location far from them to remain safe from something in development...

or is it just a pet project of one of their board members?

or is it magical research into one of the restriced effects like teleportation?

or did they find remains of a civilisation or perhaps a current civilisation living on the red planet?

Personally I think Buttercup and the rest of the board are puppets of something nefarious possibly a great dragon or a horror. Mars is either being used to make a secret fortress or escape method for when the horrors come (if a great dragon is behind the board) or it is a facility researching something that would bring the horrors faster. Perhaps the research is into magical or scientific methods of teleportation. I think the most likely though is an artificial way of increaseing the background magic levels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wiggles Von Beer...
post Mar 7 2010, 03:23 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 16,768

As a GM, my first thought would be terraforming attempts. If they could develop a reliable terraforming process and apply it, then EVO owns Mars and all its natural resources.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Mar 7 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #3

Running Target

so the secretiveness just from them being a russian/japanese company?

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Mar 7 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

There specialties lead me to believe in the Terraforming angle as well. As for a stronghold free of horror influence Buttercup is a powerful free spirit. You really don't need a dragon or other conspiracy behind the operation with Buttercup involved.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 7 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #5

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Wiggles Von Beerchuggin' @ Mar 7 2010, 05:23 PM) *
As a GM, my first thought would be terraforming attempts. If they could develop a reliable terraforming process and apply it, then EVO owns Mars and all its natural resources.

Terraforming is noted in canon indeed.
QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 7 2010, 05:43 PM) *
so the secretiveness just from them being a russian/japanese company?

They aren't much more secretive about it than any other AAA about it's pet projects.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Mar 7 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #6

Running Target

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Mar 7 2010, 03:48 PM) *
There specialties lead me to believe in the Terraforming angle as well. As for a stronghold free of horror influence Buttercup is a powerful free spirit. You really don't need a dragon or other conspiracy behind the operation with Buttercup involved.

Because Dunkelzahn seemed to have no problem controlling Buttercup I would think other great dragons would be similarly more powerful than the free spirit. also, it adds to the levels of intrigue which is the important part.

+Quote Post
Method
post Mar 7 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #7

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

What aren't they doing? If they're going to dish out the resources required to build a base on Mars I'm sure they are going to use it for a variety of research projects. They are certainly researching teraforming, but probably a number of other technologies as well.

Now if you want a AAA that's into some nefarious space shit, Ares is the way to go.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 7 2010, 06:44 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

I think the question shold be "why is Evo the only corp on Mars?". Dragon skeletons and ancient pyramids sure sound like something the other corps might to check out.

<cue in X-Files theme here>
Are they actually the only ones? We know that there already has been one secret manned mission, the first "official" mission disappeared somewhere between Mars and Moon for several days, so who knows what secrets lurk there...

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 7 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #9

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 7 2010, 08:44 PM) *
Are they actually the only ones?

Oh, I already sent runners to a Proteus biodrone research facility under the Mars icecaps… before SR4.
Granted, Proteus doesn't have that facility anymore.

+Quote Post
AndyZ
post Mar 7 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,444

I'm guessing the reverse of terraforming. I think they're making biological organisms which can exist on the harsh environment of Mars.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 7 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #11

Hoppelhäschen 5000

That's a step of terraforming.

Personally, I toyed with the idea of gene-modified sandworms (rockworm variant) that break down sand to generate oxygen.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 7 2010, 07:14 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 7 2010, 07:48 PM) *
Oh, I already sent runners to a Proteus biodrone research facility under the Mars icecaps… before SR4.
Granted, Proteus doesn't have that facility anymore.

Proteus sounds like a good candidate indeed, given their experience with arcologies in hostile environments.

A question to the ED players, is there anything about 4th World activites on Mars?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 7 2010, 07:18 PM
Post #13

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 7 2010, 09:14 PM) *
Proteus sounds like a good candidate indeed, given their experience with arcologies in hostile environments.

Of course, those biodrones were aimed at deep sea research on Europa.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 7 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

The moon?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 7 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #15

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Sure. There aren't many other (potential) oceans out there.

Additionally, SK might target Mars for mining operations.

+Quote Post
AndyZ
post Mar 7 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,444

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 7 2010, 02:04 PM) *

Personally, I toyed with the idea of gene-modified sandworms (rockworm variant) that break down sand to generate oxygen.

I stand corrected.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 7 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 7 2010, 08:26 PM) *
Sure. There aren't many other (potential) oceans out there.

Well, Jupiter is slightly further away than Mars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 7 2010, 10:55 PM
Post #18

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Indeed. That makes Mars the midway station.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Mar 7 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 7 2010, 08:26 PM) *
Additionally, SK might target Mars for mining operations.

Asteroids are better for mining because of the cost in fuel.

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 7 2010, 11:55 PM) *
Indeed. That makes Mars the midway station.

because of the fuel cost of landing and leaving a mass like mars Phobos and Deimos would be alot better. And only some of the time when earth mars and jupiter are in just the right orbital positions.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Mar 7 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 7 2010, 07:44 PM) *
<cue in X-Files theme here>

that's about what I was thinking with Evo invloved.

That corp is creepy. Ares seems like the quintessential govt contractor, not very nice but not very spooky. Also, Ares supposidly isnt on Mars.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Mar 8 2010, 05:23 AM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 7 2010, 04:56 PM) *
That corp is creepy. Ares seems like the quintessential govt contractor, not very nice but not very spooky. Also, Ares supposidly isnt on Mars.

Ares isn't really General Dynamics. Well, it is General Dynamics. And Blackwater. And Lockheed-Martin and Triple Canopy. And also Northrup-Grumman and Intel and Microsoft and Wackenhut and Oracle and Brinks and NASA and Pinkerton's. And also Maersk Line, Goldman Sachs, and Exxon. And Citibank and Berkshire Hathaway.

But other then that, they are just like a quintessential boring govt contractor.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Mar 8 2010, 05:34 AM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

QUOTE (kzt @ Mar 8 2010, 12:23 AM) *
Ares isn't really General Dynamics. Well, it is General Dynamics. And Blackwater. And Lockheed-Martin and Triple Canopy. And also Northrup-Grumman and Intel and Microsoft and Wackenhut and Oracle and Brinks and NASA and Pinkerton's. And also Maersk Line, Goldman Sachs, and Exxon. And Citibank and Berkshire Hathaway.

But other then that, they are just like a quintessential boring govt contractor.

Don't forget that Ares are also the ones doing experiments with opening gates to the invae metaplane on space stations at several La Grange points.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Mar 8 2010, 08:09 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

Frank once pointed out they are not so much experiments as negotiations. "You help us with this minor problem we have and we won't set off this here honking big nuke in the middle of your hive." I somehow suspect that none of this stuff is widely known.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 8 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

QUOTE (DWC @ Mar 8 2010, 06:34 AM) *
Don't forget that Ares are also the ones doing experiments with opening gates to the invae metaplane on space stations at several La Grange points.

Opening gates to send in a strike team and take out their queens, that is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Which leads us to another SR mystery, the cause of Knight's hatred for insect spirits*. He could just want to save mankind (and reap the profit from it), or it is some sort of vendetta, or there might be arbitrarily sinister motives behind it...for example (as far as I understand it) The Enemy seems to have some professional disagreement with the Invae...

*: At least most of the time he hates them. Ares also have (or at least had) that little program to breed insect guard critters.

@Daylen: Well, if it is possible to travel to Jupiter and back in a reasonable timeframe, the engines are obviously better than what we have today. And selling a bloody dragon skeleton for telesma should cover the fuel costs.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Mar 8 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 7 2010, 04:04 PM) *

And their excrements would become the most wanted resource in the galaxy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 12:44 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.