Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scary threat, sharing some serious opposition
bmcoomes
post Mar 12 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,382

So I came across some kewl art work over on deviantART it inspired me to make some scary oppsition and I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Desert War Machines (Professional Rating 5 or 6)
The Desert War Machines are the new elite paramilitary force rolled off the line belonging to the megacorporation Evo. Being new on the scene they have a reputation to make for them selves. If a shadowrunner finds himself facing the War Machines he knows he a world of hurt.
(Nuyen: 3,461,100 Built Points: 400)
Metatype: Troll
Body: 9/10, Agility: 2/7, Reaction: 2/9, Stength: 9/13 [16], Charisma: 2, Intuition: 4, Logic: 2, Willpower: 4,
Essence: 1.298, Initiative: 6/13, Initiative Pass: 1/4
Condition Monitor [Physical: 15, Stun: 10]
Movement: 30 / 70
Damage Resistance: 14 + Armor
Armor: 22/20 Hardened
Qualities: Class III Surge, Satyr Legs, Celerity, High Pain Tolerance 3, Tough as Nails 2, Berserker, Allergy (Common, Server).
Skills: Athletics (group) 4/7, Outdoors (group) 3, Stealth (group) 3, Dodge 4/7, Etiquette 2, Perception 4, and Unarmed Combat 5.
Augmentations: Soldier Cybersuite (Delta grade) [Datajack, Biomonitor, Bone Lacing (Titanium), Move-by-Wire 3], Muscle Augmentation 3, Muscle Toner 4, Suprathyroid Gland, Synthacardium 3, Orthoskin 3, Reakt, Synch, Heat Adaptation.
Gear: Heavy Military Armor [16/14] (Mobility 3, Strength 3), Military Helmet [+2/+2] (Commlink (device 4), Camera, Flare Comp, Image Link, Smarlink, Audio Enhancement 3, Vision Enhancement 3.)
Weapons: Unarmed [Reach 1, AP 0, 11P]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Mar 12 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

I have troubles with a whole group made of identically SURGEd trolls - the odds for having enough of them surge in the same usefull fashion, then getting spotted, recruited and augmented is abysmally low. Unless they're a bunch of clones, but as far as I know, SURGE expressions doesn't takes well to cloning.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Mar 12 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #3

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Manunancy @ Mar 12 2010, 10:47 AM) *
I have troubles with a whole group made of identically SURGEd trolls - the odds for having enough of them surge in the same suefull fashion, then getting spotted, recruited and augmented is abysmally low. Unless they're a bunch of clones, but as far as I know, SURGE expressions doesn't takes well to cloning.
Your point is a good one, and a set of unique members of the War Machines might make a cooler opposition. But why would an individual who has been Surged not pass that propensity on to clones?

+Quote Post
Zibik
post Mar 12 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 6,568

QUOTE (bmcoomes @ Mar 12 2010, 06:21 AM) *
Allergy (Common, Server).

That Media, Rack mounted, or Standalone? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

*edit* and now I have a mental image of a troll squaring off against one of these things swinging a rack with a blade server attached to it. Definitely made my day.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Mar 12 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Mar 12 2010, 08:21 PM) *
Your point is a good one, and a set of unique members of the War Machines might make a cooler opposition. But why would an individual who has been Surged not pass that propensity on to clones?

SURGE is basically a bunch of 'dormant' awakened genes who got ticked on by a mana peak, in a fashion similar to the globlinization. Which means the ambiant mana level might not be enough for those gene to express themselves in the clone. It's also repeatedly mentioned in the fluff that awakened genes are tricky beast to play with, including cloning even if it's not supposed to alter the genes - a magician's clone is not necessarily a magician.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Mar 12 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

Also, clones are supposed to be brain-dead unless grown at normal rates.
In which case, this project would have to be far older than Evo is since Evo proper came into existence in 2070.
I suppose it could be an old Yamatetsu (pre-Evo change up) project, but still, the year of the comet wasn't really that long ago.

Couldn't you just give them raptor cyber legs?

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 12 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

QUOTE (Runners Companion, page 58)
It has become evident in the last decade that changeling “traits” can also be inherited and may thus express during fetal development—though only if one of the parents has already expressed. Studies show that transmission in this manner is only guaranteed if both parents are changelings, otherwise there is a 50/50 chance that inherited traits are not expressed.

Don't see why a clone of a changeling can't be a changeling either. There's just no guarantee that the SURGE traits are going to be the same, unless the GM wants to rule it that way. Even current cloning technologies don't result in perfect "carbon copies" (source).

+Quote Post
cndblank
post Mar 12 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 7,685

Nothing also prevents you from saying that they are a new metatype or are manifesting similar surge traits due to similar genetic heritage (like the Nartaki in India).

From the Runner's Companion

Nartaki
Among the diverse magical phenomena visited upon the
planet in 2061 were a series of mass SURGE events in India.
Thousands of revelers were bathing in the holy waters of the
Ganges were efected when a massive mana pulse fowed down
the great Ganga manaline. Perplexing scientifc observers, many
of the victims of these SURGE events expressed metatraits which
bore striking parallels to Hindu folklore and mythology.
Among the efected, one group was quickly singled out. A
large number of individuals expressed the same common traits—a
pair of additional arms and unusual skin hues. Tese were quickly
named Nartaki (literally, “dancers,”) by the locals in deference to
the deity Shiva whose festival they were celebrating.
We now believe that the Ganges events, which have recurred
a handful of times since, obfuscated a human goblinization event,
triggering a unique metagenetic predisposition in several thousand
baseline humans. All studies reviewed seem to indicate Nartaki
possess life expectancies in line with humans and share most com-
mon traits with the Indian ethnic phenotype. In fact, their only
non-human traits are the obvious ones: they possess blue, red, or
golden skins tones and two pairs of upper limbs (arms) which
originate from unique, fexible joints at each shoulder (making
them one of the rare 6-limbed mammals).
Te Nartaki share no similarity and no common metagenetic
markers with any other existing metatype, and so have tentatively

+Quote Post
Sponge
post Mar 12 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,097

QUOTE (Zibik @ Mar 12 2010, 03:25 PM) *
*edit* and now I have a mental image of a troll squaring off against one of these things swinging a rack with a blade server attached to it. Definitely made my day.

Blades 6 (1U +2) ?

+Quote Post
bmcoomes
post Mar 13 2010, 08:43 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

I thought I was forgetting something, it was the allergy! Oops, I'll have to think on that one nothing is coming to mind right now.

As with the SURGE it was more of means than really SURGE, I'm not sure if I'm on the line of a new metatype or really a sapience paracritter. I went this route because it was easier to crunch the numbers and get the results I wanted.

I do agree that would be cooler to have a number of unique members over just a squad of these brutes.

And with the cloning I'm not going to get into it really.

+Quote Post
Nows7
post Mar 13 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 16,985

Stealth (group) 3

Do they really need three dice to palming and disguise? Perhaps just the infiltration skill for 12bp instead of 30 would work better?

+Quote Post
bmcoomes
post Mar 13 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

True, True but I like the idea of Palming someones head from there shoulders and disguising them selfs as a sand dune. (j/k) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Good Catch.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.