IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PC Backgrounds, Are they making this too easy on me?
iamZebulun
post Mar 12 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,239

So, I'm getting ready to run my first real attempt at a Shadowrun game. I expressed my wishes for my players to have a pretty decently filled out background, which so far they've done pretty well. Thing is, they've left some major holes open for me to take advantage of.

One of them is set on having a dependent NPC, in the form of a little girl. I'm meeting with him tonight to roll up the character and have him explain this further. Aside from the obvious getting her kidnapped or endangered in some way, I'm looking for some other out-of-the-box methods of using this. Also, does anyone know of a quality that he can use to represent this, or should we just keep it to his background and roleplaying?

The other one isn't as big. He just has a brother who is a big time hacker and fixer. Still, any ideas with this one are helpful, too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Namelessjoe
post Mar 12 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 16,532

the little girl could get hooked on BTL's or other substances or depending on age and how gritty you run the world cand start running with a bad croud (not that shadowrunners are a good crowd to begian with)

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Mar 12 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Turn it around (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Instead of the little girl getting kidnapped, have the bigtime hacker/fixer get in trouble instead. When the players help him out, he'll be in a position to give them some shinies that they'll feel were well-earned (and not as blood-money as normal payout).

Meanwhile, the girl is just darling, nobody wants to hurt her, but occasionally she'd like something really exotic for show and tell at school..

Or perhaps a rival wants to annoy the PC by trying to become the "cool dad" of one of her classmates, working up the PC's competitive instinct.

Or her very presence in the middle of a firefight causes the NPCs to pull out, in order not to risk killing a little girl (of course she'll be frightened and need consoling, but still.. nice chance to show not all NPCs are utterly inhuman.)

Kidnapping the powerless family members of the "heroes" is cliche; putting a twist on it is much more fun.

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Mar 12 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

There's a "Dependents" quality in the Runners companion that is meant for just such things as having children.

Remember that just because there's "holes" for you to exploit, doesn't meant you have to do so. EVERYBODY has some flaws in thier background; the only difference in this case is the players have told you what those might be, rather than forcing you to make them up for them. They shouldn't be punished for that, unless its part of the game (as in a quality they take, or a plot line they want to explore / take action to trigger/ is required to further the campaign).

As for the little girl, there's all sorts of interesting, non-extreme things could go on there, especially if she's using the matrix (which any kid who can, will). Cyber-bullying, cult recruitment, overseas playmates who aren't actually kids (or human, or overseas), and having her hack her parent's comlinks are just the obvious ones.

Make sure the other guy, with the brother who's a "a big time hacker and fixer", pays for him as a contact, unless there's some reason the brother would NEVER help him. Such close, powerful contacts can play a big role in the game, and be a bit imbalancing. This is a case where the brother being a medelsome, manipulative person with his own secret aggenda would make a lot of sense; have him hack the characters link and astart manipulating him for favors. Such a powerful brother probably has all sorts of annoying tasks he wants done. But again, if he's going to be an annoyance, he shouldn't "cost" as much as a normal contact.

+Quote Post
iamZebulun
post Mar 12 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #5

Target

You're right that I shouldn't punish the characters just for putting these into their background, but I'm mostly just looking for some fun angles to take the game. Doesn't mean that I'll be exploiting them at every turn. And I've already expressed that the little girl shouldn't be taken on runs for the most obvious reasons.

As for points, yeah, the brother was purchased using BP, and a decent amount of them. He's loyalty 6 and connection 3 (he wanted higher connection but I simply told him he won't be starting with someone with national ties that easily).

+Quote Post
iamZebulun
post Mar 12 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #6

Target

Also, was kind of thinking of exploring the angle of the little girl being Awakened. Not sure what age she'll be yet, though, and I've got to figure out how many points I'll make her with if I do decide to give her a stat set.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Mar 12 2010, 05:34 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

What if she wants to be a shadow runner though? ......and thinks she can be a good one. Problem is, mommy is a wage slave and wants custody back to raise her right and proper. Does he have the wanted flaw too?

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 12 2010, 05:34 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Mongoose @ Mar 12 2010, 12:15 PM) *
Cyber-bullying, cult recruitment, overseas playmates who aren't actually kids (or human, or overseas), and having her hack her parent's comlinks are just the obvious ones.

Wow, did that bring back memories of Casual Rex (the book, the movie was kinda crap).

Still, that series had the best cult ever. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post
iamZebulun
post Mar 12 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #9

Target

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Mar 12 2010, 11:34 AM) *
What if she wants to be a shadow runner though? ......and thinks she can be a good one. Problem is, mommy is a wage slave and wants custody back to raise her right and proper. Does he have the wanted flaw too?

Not sure yet what he's going to do with it. Like I said, I'm meeting with him tonight to flesh it out. I'll post more on it when we figure out exactly who she is.

+Quote Post
Creel
post Mar 12 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 17,769

QUOTE (iamZebulun @ Mar 12 2010, 11:41 AM) *
Not sure yet what he's going to do with it. Like I said, I'm meeting with him tonight to flesh it out. I'll post more on it when we figure out exactly who she is.

One of my PCs recently had the SINer and dependents qualities. When he got ID'd on a run he had to move his whole family to protect them. He now has to maintain 2 lifestyles. a disposable one for himself, as well as a respectable life for his secret identity and fam.

+Quote Post
rumanchu
post Mar 12 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,179

Well, aside from the stuff that's already been mentioned, there's really no need for the interference caused by the dependent to be as over-the-top as all that. Simple things like getting calls from her school because she's sick while you're in a meet with Mr.Johnson, or having to juggle picking her up from soccer practice on your way to dropping off some paydata can go a long way to making the dependent a factor in the character's life without everything having to be a "We have to go save Penny!" situation.

+Quote Post
ZeroPoint
post Mar 12 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,368

I have a character right now that has Dependants (13 year old daughter), Enemy, Vendetta, and Wanted....its gonna be a lot of fun.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Mar 12 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

I'd leave the Dependent out of it for now but its nice to know they've got handy plot hooks ready to give over to you at a moment's notice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ork.gif)

- J.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Mar 13 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

How to threaten a character with the dependent negative quality?

Really?
Everything which threatens a character with a little kid to take care of threatens the little kid.
He would constantly have to consider, "What if this keeps me from getting back to my little girl?" when doing everything.

Put simply, homeboy needs to invest in a babysitter contact...

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Mar 13 2010, 02:58 AM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Babysitters are a good one.

Instead of seeing Dependent as a stable of potential kidnapping targets, try to think of all the other story possibilities that don't feel like a cliche (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Mar 13 2010, 08:05 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

A 10 or 15 point dependent is likely to have some complaints about a Low Lifestyle and some difficulties if they're living in a Squatter or Street lifestyle, particularly if he doesn't have any group contacts. It's one thing to hand wave most of the difficulties of living out of coffin hotels and occasionally squatting when you're talking about a multi-talented Street Samurai with a healthy Intimidate pool, but for a kid that kind of thing can get rather dicey. After all, even in the Barrens there's going to be some family ties and small communities that allow a decent number of children to reach adolescence more or less in one piece. A stranger and his kid, on the other hand, might not have as easy a time of it.

The flip side of the coin is that the kind of areas that offer Medium and better lifestyles are the sorts of places where you're actually expected to at least fake being civilized from time to time. Living in an area where people genuinely give a crap about what goes on in the area is a real double-edged sword for a shadowrunner, and having a kid who actually goes to school and stuff would only make it worse. Kids say the darndest things, but it's only cute when you're not a career criminal with things to hide.

+Quote Post
Eugene
post Mar 13 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,625

You can play on the mother or other relatives. "Get out of the shadows or one day your daughter won't have a father" kind of stuff. Or maybe the mother sues for custody (and it likely to get it too, if the PC is SINless), but luckily there's a lawyer who'll help out, only there's this little favor...

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Mar 13 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

"Hi, Honey. Sorry daddy was five weeks late getting back from the store. He missed his rendezvous window and got left in deep Amazonia. Did you have enough left in the soy block to keep fed?"

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Mar 13 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,426

Consider her getting 'adopted' by a stray paracritter - something like a Talis cat, Hellhound, or Barghest puppy. It could even be a unique critter, to increase the 'huh?' factor, but make it completely loyal and protective of the kid, and tolerant of the runner, as 'food-guy'. The puppy/cat is *way* too smart, and as the GM you get to do some funny scenes with it...maybe the kid is eating a big bowl of ice cream in front of the Trid, and the dog has a big bowl too. The dog is trying to work a squeeze bottle of synth-chocolate syrup, and gets *some* of it into the bowl. Maybe the bad guys try to run a grab on the kid, and the Runner gets home to find the kid hiding in the closet and the living room full of dismembered goons, with a smug looking critter and the kid proudly informing the Runner that Clyde made the Bad Man go away. It makes the kid less of a security risk, it has the potential for humor and mystery, and it could even be a minor adventure hook...maybe kidnappers come for the pet, turns out to be a very rare species, and the kid is completely wrecked...so now we get to break into another biotech lab.

It's also worth developing the kid as a character. Pick a skill and make her good at it...maybe even amazing. Obviously at five she's not going to be very well educated, but she might have the potential to quickly get a rank 3 in the skill or knowledge if trained. Maybe she's a math wiz, or has a knack for drone repair, or some sort of musical or artistic talent. She might really love knock-knock jokes, or elephant jokes - get a book/site of 'em and work one in every time she shows up. Since she's five, you don't even have to pick good ones. I think she's too young to goblinize, and you'd want the party to get to know her as a pinkskin first...but if she became a troll girl you've suddenly got a lot of emotional drama that basically writes itself.

+Quote Post
wind_in_the_ston...
post Mar 15 2010, 03:31 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,332

The number of build points spent on the particular background element gives you an idea of how often you can exploit it. Someone has a girlfriend? User her once or twice, just for drama. Dependent quality? More often, and more serious. But still not all the time. That just gets old.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Mar 15 2010, 03:58 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

Here's an idea: the kid is "wiz" (read: budding Technomancer) in the Matrix and has made a new friend. The "Friend" is an AI and likes the girl and thinks the father is trying to do the right thing for her, but is not doing so well. Now the AI might have a few jobs for the father and his group to do*... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

* == Make that part of the payout is a nice home for the father and the kid... and he has to maintain that new lifestyle. This is where the disadvantage comes in... less money for new toys (unless they are the 2070 version of Cabbage Patch Kids)

+Quote Post
Headshot_Joe
post Mar 15 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,832

Tool up honey-bunny, it's time to get bad guys...

Of course, bringing her on runs really depends on her age, as well as skill level. If the back story for your runners has them having been working tgether for a long time, she might know of them, and has more than likely met them. Heck, if he's a single dad, and mom is out of the picture entirely, he might have informed his daughter of what his real job is (or she found out on her own, as children are wont to do), and she has taken an interest in the family business. She may have even been raised by the whole team, and identifies them as her extended family of aunts and uncles. There is a very great possibility that she could be of some assistance if she was trained from a young age...

I guess I just like the idea of parent-child bonding through shadowrunning...

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 15 2010, 06:18 AM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Don't forget the "Perfect Roommate" positive for advanced lifestyles, too. Though said dependent could be rather needy of your attention and nuyen, he/she could also be one hell of a homemaker as well (among other things).

As for the 2070 version of a cabbage patch kid, check out the Bust-A-Move in Arsenal.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 15 2010, 06:21 AM
Post #24

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Headshot_Joe @ Mar 15 2010, 01:52 PM) *
Of course, bringing her on runs really depends on her age, as well as skill level. If the back story for your runners has them having been working tgether for a long time, she might know of them, and has more than likely met them. Heck, if he's a single dad, and mom is out of the picture entirely, he might have informed his daughter of what his real job is (or she found out on her own, as children are wont to do), and she has taken an interest in the family business. She may have even been raised by the whole team, and identifies them as her extended family of aunts and uncles. There is a very great possibility that she could be of some assistance if she was trained from a young age...

I guess I just like the idea of parent-child bonding through shadowrunning...

That could explain why the kid has so much Active skills and little if any Knowledge skills. Her uncles and aunties kept her busy with the more practical side of the business, she was too tired and pre-occupied to pay attention to shadow gossip.

Or the kid could be so immersed in the shadows that his world view is such, leading to high Ratings in Street skills.

Whenever I see children dependents of shadowrunners, I keep thinking of John Conner for some reason.

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Mar 15 2010, 08:04 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,309

I am thinking Cowboy Bebop for some reason, was there a kid in that? I'm having trouble recalling at the moment and chastising myself for not owning it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:46 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.