IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> real life malware toolkit with hardware drm, did RL just confirm SR?
hobgoblin
post Mar 13 2010, 11:21 AM
Post #1

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/12/new_zeus_features/

makes one rethink the DRM found in the hacker tools, no (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Mar 13 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Wait. An ostensible "information security" firm is publishing its own malware-creation tools? OK, granted, I have only a layman's grasp of the law, but isn't it illegal to produce tools to commit crimes with?

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Mar 13 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Mar 13 2010, 06:31 AM) *
Wait. An ostensible "information security" firm is publishing its own malware-creation tools? OK, granted, I have only a layman's grasp of the law, but isn't it illegal to produce tools to commit crimes with?

Maybe they produce the tools so that companies can test their own products. Kinda like "OK boys we tried to make this hack 'resistant', have a go at it!" and see if you can break your product while it's in-house.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 13 2010, 12:59 PM
Post #4

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Mar 13 2010, 12:31 PM) *

i guess one can re-purpose the old "guns dont kill people, people kill people" argument on this.

heck, i know remote control and monitoring tools that went from ok to spyware by way of one checkbox in the installer generator. Said checkbox would make the resulting program not show up in the windows tray (tho still killable via the process list), and it allowed remote control and monitoring of the computer it was installed on. Thing is, this was a tool aimed at corp helpdesk or similar, so that they didnt have to move to the actual user computer to solve problems, unless said computer was not on the network for some reason.

oh, and no, secureworks is not the company making zeus. They just analyze how it works to help detect and remove it. The actual creator is a unknown third party, selling it on the black market. Cybercrime have become very organized lately.

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Mar 13 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 18,155

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 13 2010, 04:59 AM) *
Cybercrime have become very organized lately.

You can thank Russia and China for that, mostly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.