> Radioactive Bullets, Effect on magic
IceKatze
post Mar 16 2010, 04:27 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,788

hi hi

Does anyone know if there are rules for how radiation effects paracritters, spirits and things? I remember reading that radiation has an effect on background count and is harmful to magicians. People already use depleted uranium in bullets, but in the Sixth World, I'm sure you could make ammunition that is even more radioactive.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 16 2010, 04:33 AM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

Depleted uranium is called depleted for a reason - it's even less radioactive than uranium ore. As a matter of fact, it's so low-emitting while still being good at catching neutrons it's used for radiation shielding in medtech.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Mar 16 2010, 07:08 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

In my opinion, a bullet radioactive enough to generate significant background count and hamper the magic of whatever person or critter it gets stuck into would be radioactive enought to be a health hazard. not in teh 'glow in the dark after five minutes' sort of hazard, but nasty enough that the hassles outweight the benefits.

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Mar 16 2010, 07:28 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,426

QUOTE (IceKatze @ Mar 15 2010, 08:27 PM) *
... you could make ammunition that is even more radioactive.

Indeed...since lead is a well-known radiation shield and bullet material, it seems like you could have bullets with a 'hot' core that would rupture on impact. For fluff effect, I would describe it as a luminous green ooze. As far as game effects, I agree that it probably wouldn't be a force multiplier in a gunfight - rads are a slow poison - but I would seriously consider it being unnatural enough to get through nature spirits' ItNW as a houserule. Of course, if you're toxic enough to be making a case for being Toxic-aspected, then you are seriously messing up the neighborhood.

+Quote Post
IceKatze
post Mar 16 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

hi hi

Well, megacorps aren't really known for being nice guys. Maybe Ares Firewatch would be someone who would give it a shot.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Mar 16 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

I like. Rad-Bull ammo. Seriously difficult availability, and certainly Forbidden, but one of the few mundane products that work decently against spirits.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Mar 16 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 16 2010, 11:43 AM) *
I like. Rad-Bull ammo. Seriously difficult availability, and certainly Forbidden, but one of the few mundane products that work decently against spirits.

I'm still holding out for a weapon that injects orphans with deepweed, then fires them at 250km/h+ at the spirit in question. Would it still work if we dismembered the orphans after injecting them?

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Mar 16 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #8

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Physics and Magic interaction ... just thinking about it will make your head explode.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 16 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Especially if it's magic interacting with your physique . .

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 16 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #10

Runner

QUOTE (IceKatze @ Mar 16 2010, 02:12 PM) *
Well, megacorps aren't really known for being nice guys. Maybe Ares Firewatch would be someone who would give it a shot.

Firewatch are highly trained professionals, each of whom costs Ares a bunch. I can imagine them giving the runners some new toys to try out, but giving their own best guys radiation poisoning? They've had enough of that in Bug City already.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Mar 16 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Mar 16 2010, 08:28 AM) *
Indeed...since lead is a well-known radiation shield and bullet material, it seems like you could have bullets with a 'hot' core that would rupture on impact. For fluff effect, I would describe it as a luminous green ooze. As far as game effects, I agree that it probably wouldn't be a force multiplier in a gunfight - rads are a slow poison - but I would seriously consider it being unnatural enough to get through nature spirits' ItNW as a houserule. Of course, if you're toxic enough to be making a case for being Toxic-aspected, then you are seriously messing up the neighborhood.

One thing to remeber is that the lead shield of most radiosources is inches thick. The outer layer of a radcore bullet is would be barely a tenth of an inch thick, which means gamma rays will leak through almost unhindered. Which is going to cause serious storage problems along with a significant safety hazard for the users. Which makes it rather unpractical. It's also a PR disaster waiting to happen.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 16 2010, 06:52 PM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

lead bullet, lead clip, lead gun.

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Mar 16 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,963

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Mar 16 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Lead is a lousy material for a gun - not strong enough. A lead-lined clip might be doable, but once again bulk problems makes a meaningfull thickness impractical. And as I've mentioned, the thickness the bllet's lead coating won't be enough, the bullet is too small.

+Quote Post
DamienKnight
post Mar 16 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,014

QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Mar 16 2010, 02:28 AM) *
Would the spirits immunity not stop the lead bullet from penetrating them? Even if the bullet broke on impact, the force would be diminished. It would be like shooting a spirit with a radioactive paintball. The entire bullet would have to be radioactive to penetrate immunity. Even then, Isnt radiation supposed to have a slow effect on magic, not an instantaneous devastating effect?

QUOTE (Hagga @ Mar 16 2010, 09:15 AM) *
I'm still holding out for a weapon that injects orphans with deepweed, then fires them at 250km/h+ at the spirit in question. Would it still work if we dismembered the orphans after injecting them?
Fantastic! You may want to look into Deepweed's effect on non-sapients... might be a little easier to sell a Magic-Monkey-Blaster to Government regulated Military programs, rather than trying to sell them a 'Drugged-Dismembered-but-still-alive-Orphan-Blaster'. Magic Monkey Blaster just markets better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Mar 16 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,426

QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Mar 16 2010, 11:11 AM) *
Would the spirits immunity not stop the lead bullet from penetrating them? Even if the bullet broke on impact, the force would be diminished. It would be like shooting a spirit with a radioactive paintball. The entire bullet would have to be radioactive to penetrate immunity. Even then, Isnt radiation supposed to have a slow effect on magic, not an instantaneous devastating effect?

Like I said, houserule. There are some practical issues that make the Rad-Bull rounds unrealistic; you need something ugly enough to be Toxic, but controlled enough to not hurt your team and to fire out of an ordinary gun. The Paintball effect is a concern when we start determining damage modifiers; treating them as gel-rounds might be an easy adaptation.

I keep thinking back to an older edition, and maybe somebody could help me recall which one I'm thinking of...spirits used to be pretty sharply aspected...City Spirits couldn't be summoned in a forest, and vice versa. Toxic was another aspect, and it follows that poisoning a region would have a disruptive effect.

I don't know if it's practical as a player weapon, but I might equip a Toxic Shaman's followers with it for sheer Evil value.

+Quote Post
Walpurgisborn
post Mar 16 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 17,677

QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Mar 16 2010, 03:09 PM) *
Like I said, houserule. There are some practical issues that make the Rad-Bull rounds unrealistic; you need something ugly enough to be Toxic, but controlled enough to not hurt your team and to fire out of an ordinary gun. The Paintball effect is a concern when we start determining damage modifiers; treating them as gel-rounds might be an easy adaptation.

Polonium. Seriously nasty stuff. It's an alpha-emitter, meaning it's not very penetrative, paper will block emissions. But it's nasty when injected, or inhaled, where it's pretty much going to shred whoever is the unlucky recipient.

Add it as the creamy center to a lead jacket bullet, and you've pretty much dropped a massive rad count on your unsuspecting mage/critter. Further, even if they do survive, they're in for some major hospital expenses trying to use Sixth World medicine to heal what is arguably the most terrible way to die you can find.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Mar 16 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #18

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

Nasty. All I can say alpha radiation is just nasty once inside you.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Mar 17 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

in russia I hear ol 210 is a favorite assassination tool just to let everyone know who did it.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Mar 17 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #20

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

Yeah the was a big(high media coverage) 210 assanation in the UK last year.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 17 2010, 01:28 AM
Post #21

Runner

QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 17 2010, 03:05 AM) *
in russia I hear ol 210 is a favorite assassination tool just to let everyone know who did it.

*facepalm*

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 17 2010, 01:30 AM
Post #22

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Walpurgisborn @ Mar 16 2010, 02:39 PM) *
Polonium. Seriously nasty stuff. It's an alpha-emitter, meaning it's not very penetrative, paper will block emissions. But it's nasty when injected, or inhaled, where it's pretty much going to shred whoever is the unlucky recipient.

Add it as the creamy center to a lead jacket bullet, and you've pretty much dropped a massive rad count on your unsuspecting mage/critter. Further, even if they do survive, they're in for some major hospital expenses trying to use Sixth World medicine to heal what is arguably the most terrible way to die you can find.

I was always a big fan of "Doom" (See Shadowtech) laden Capsule rounds... what a nasty way to go...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
IceKatze
post Mar 17 2010, 01:50 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

hi hi

As far as the critter immunity is concerned, you could use the same technique as a copper penetrator with your radioactive material, that way the entire bullet wouldn't need to be radioactive. Or you could use a discarding sabot too.

+Quote Post
nemafow
post Mar 17 2010, 02:14 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,237

QUOTE (Manunancy @ Mar 17 2010, 06:02 AM) *
And as I've mentioned, the thickness the bllet's lead coating won't be enough, the bullet is too small.

Maybe use bigger bullets (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

All jokes..

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Mar 17 2010, 07:09 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

In the aforementionned polonium poisoning case, as far as I know the target did die as much, if not more, from the chemcial toxicity of the polonium as from it's radioactivity. Polonium is toxic, like many heavy metals suc as mercury and cadmium. Of course being radioactive don't help, but even a non-radioactive istope would still be higly toxic.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.