Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AR and VR, Just check something
nemafow
post Mar 16 2010, 05:01 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,237

I've been reading through all the SR4 books again, because I have a terrible memory and I came across something last night that I wasn't initially aware of, just want to run it by and make sure I understand it properly.

To use AR or VR, you must have a sim module connected to your commlink, UNLESS the commlink is in your head or you use a data jack?
So does this mean the typical layman with wireless goggles, cannot receive his team mates image link without both having a sim module connected to their commlink?

Or am I getting this totally wrong?

I'm sorry if this is a super easy question, I just want to be sure.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 16 2010, 05:04 AM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

You only need glasses/goggles/what have you with Image Link on them for AR. Well, and some kind of input device like AR gloves.
VR calls for more invasive options, of course.

+Quote Post
Tsithlis
post Mar 16 2010, 05:19 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 16,286

Fatum is correct, in order to use AR all you need is anything that can accommodate an Image Link. The Image link will display all of the visual data across whatever medium it is installed in (Contacts, Glasses, Goggles, your eyes!). However in order to hear sounds in AR you must have a Sound Link installed in your cyberears, earbuds or headphones. Sim Module allow you to interpret sim sense data (emotions, and feelings) with a Direct Neural Interface (trodes, Nano Trodes, Implanted Commlink, or Datajack). AR gloves will give you limited Haptics, such as weight, temperature, and hardness of an icon you are manipulating (also note you can modify clothing and armor to also include haptic data for a more realistic experience). Hope that helps some.

+Quote Post
nemafow
post Mar 16 2010, 05:29 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Hi guys,

Thank you, I'm glad I got it wrong, all this re-reading is meant to HELP me, but it seems I must of misread it.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Mar 16 2010, 05:33 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

OK question here: If you have an implanted commlink do you need a sim module?

Also can you get a SIM module as well... a module for your commlink (cyber or otherwise)?

+Quote Post
nemafow
post Mar 16 2010, 05:47 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

There is an option for an implanted sim module under cyberware if thats what you mean?

+Quote Post
Tsithlis
post Mar 16 2010, 05:59 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 16,286

OK question here: If you have an implanted commlink do you need a sim module?

Yes... You would still need a Sim Module to process Sim Sense data. The implanted Commlink just gives you a Direct Neural Interface not the ability to decode Sim Sense data itself.

Also can you get a SIM module as well... a module for your commlink (cyber or otherwise)?

Yes you can get a SIM module for any commlink (implanted or otherwise) it simply allows you to experience "feelings and emotions" within AR and VR. Also in order to experience VR at all you MUST have a Sim Module (and a Direct Neural Interface) as the SIM module is what translates the computer signals into Neural Signals.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 16 2010, 06:20 AM
Post #8

Runner

That all said, why would anyone implant a sim module, when you can have one on your link for less both money and Essence?

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Mar 16 2010, 06:21 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

Because the options for that wern't in the base book when it first came out *grumble*

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 16 2010, 06:37 AM
Post #10

Runner

Uh. Core (non-anniversary) page 318?
Or was there a print I am not aware of?

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Mar 16 2010, 06:48 AM
Post #11

Runner

Then i will concede it's entirely possible I missed it the first time around in which case your question is very valid.

+Quote Post
nemafow
post Mar 16 2010, 08:17 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean Fatum?

If a sim module is implanted, then you don't need to use/waste a datajack or wear some trodes, as its already 'connected' to you.
That allows you to use your datajack for something else like a lingua soft (I'm working on the assumption that only one can be used at a time, so please correct me if I'm wrong)

Other than that, if you have a cyberskull, you could fit both of them and potentially look like a badass terminator for .75 essence (as they both fit in the cyberskulls four capacity)

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Mar 16 2010, 08:46 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 16 2010, 07:20 AM) *
That all said, why would anyone implant a sim module, when you can have one on your link for less both money and Essence?

The only reason would be to keep your commlink and sim module secret. For instance, if you have one adapted for Hot Sim. Of course it can be detected by a Cyberware scanner though.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 16 2010, 09:29 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 16 2010, 07:20 AM) *

For the same reason anyone would implant a link if you can just carry it in your pocket (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 16 2010, 09:29 AM
Post #15

Runner

QUOTE (nemafow @ Mar 16 2010, 11:17 AM) *
If a sim module is implanted, then you don't need to use/waste a datajack or wear some trodes, as its already 'connected' to you.
That allows you to use your datajack for something else like a lingua soft (I'm working on the assumption that only one can be used at a time, so please correct me if I'm wrong)

Datajack is cheaper, and linguasofts don't necessarily require one to operate (unlike, for all I know, previous editions) - "must be accessed with a
direct neural link (either a sim module or datajack)".

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 16 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #16

Runner

QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 16 2010, 12:29 PM) *
For the same reason anyone would implant a link if you can just carry it in your pocket (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I always thought you can implant any commlink you like, with any mods you can strap on it - at least I don't believe there's anything in the rules saying otherwise. By that logic, you can implant a commlink with a sim module already in it - again, cheaper, zero Essence cost for the sim module, same concealability.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Mar 16 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #17

Runner

Actually there's no functional limitation on how many things your datajack can connect to, now logically at some point some kind of splitter may be necessitated but I've kinda ssumed that at the very least a datajack can slot a chip and a cable simultanious. In all reality datajacks are fairly superflous (as are implanted links) trode tech has come forward while 'jack tech has not, can't have all the adept hackers getting all hurt. However there are some pretty logical reasons why someone would want an implanted datajack. They provide a good secure way of accessing your internal 'ware including your comlink and can function as a choke point for regulating access to your internal systems, further they can perform the task of skinlink hub for the rest of your devices. Finally datajacks are an always on DNI connection meaning your character can always manipulate AR and other electornic media without any silly gestures or other devices can effectively type 300 words a second and other nifty features. Should their functionality be merged with that of a simsense module from a rules and technological advancement perspective? I believe so, but even by the current editions framework they do have their upsides and their essence and monetary cost is fairly trivial.

+Quote Post
zzyxzs
post Mar 16 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 18,118

QUOTE (Tsithlis @ Mar 16 2010, 01:19 AM) *
However in order to hear sounds in AR you must have a Sound Link installed in your cyberears, earbuds or headphones.

No need to buy earbuds just to hear AR sounds, as they are a standard feature of most commlinks:

QUOTE (SR4a p. 327)
Though variations exist according to different models, the standard commlink contains most of the following features: music player, micro-trid/holo projector/“touch-screen” display, camcorder, micro-phone, image/text scanner, RFID tag reader, GPS (global positioning system, triangulated from registered local wireless nodes), roll-up Velcro-fastening keyboard, chip player, credstick reader, retractable earbuds, voice-access controls, and a shock and water-resistant case.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Mar 18 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

QUOTE (zzyxzs @ Mar 16 2010, 03:54 PM) *
No need to buy earbuds just to hear AR sounds, as they are a standard feature of most commlinks:

Even better, private audio is a (possibly standard) feature of AR glasses/goggles. They use narrow-band soundwaves (or something to that effect) to beam it straight to your ears.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Mar 18 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 16 2010, 09:34 AM) *
I always thought you can implant any commlink you like, with any mods you can strap on it - at least I don't believe there's anything in the rules saying otherwise. By that logic, you can implant a commlink with a sim module already in it - again, cheaper, zero Essence cost for the sim module, same concealability.

I think it is implied that implanting a commlink with a sim module is the same as implanting the two separately. Bear in mind that an implanted commlink isn't the same as what you carry in your pocket - the doc doesn't just pull one out of its blister pack and nail it to the inside of your skull. It'll be a specially adapted composition of the circuitry configured to take up very little space, dispensing with anything not required like manual controls. It's not specified in RAW, but to my mind the sim module is a plug-in component that may be incorporated into the main body of a standard 'link to save space but such a principle doesn't carry over to the implanted version.

Otherwise a commlink would have its own capacity for modifications, which they don't.
Or do they?

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 18 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 16 2010, 10:34 AM) *
By that logic, you can implant a commlink with a sim module already in it - again, cheaper, zero Essence cost for the sim module, same concealability.

...and that would really make no sense, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 19 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #22

Runner

QUOTE (Aerospider @ Mar 18 2010, 05:12 PM) *
Otherwise a commlink would have its own capacity for modifications, which they don't.
Or do they?

They do. See Unwired. That said, ruling that implanted commlinks can't have addons or mods, or can't be easily upgraded without taking your skull apart may be realistic and logical, but it can break pace of pretty much any campaign.
So, to avoid all the fuss, we just suppose there's an interface panel hidden somewhere on your head.

QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 18 2010, 06:25 PM) *
...and that would really make no sense, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

By the RAW? :ь

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:33 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.