Closed TopicStart new topic
> Statement from CGL regarding financial situation, Addressing the rumors
JM Hardy
post Mar 17 2010, 04:13 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,392

The following was just posted to CGL's website, and I was asked to disseminate it far and wide:

>>>>>
Catalyst Game Labs recently completed a detailed financial review of the company. We learned that over the past several years the company has achieved dramatic growth in terms of demand, increased total revenues and strong sales with an increasing market share in the gaming industry, despite a lackluster economy. We are thrilled by that news and are eager to move forward with our upcoming original game Leviathans, along with our other new casual games. We also remain committed to plans for our beloved licensed games: Shadowrun, BattleTech, Eclipse Phase, and CthuluTech.

While we wish the review had only uncovered positive news, we also discovered our accounting procedures had not been updated as the company continued to grow. The result was that business funds had been co-mingled with the personal funds of one of the owners. We believe the missing funds were the result of bad habits that began alongside the creation of the company, which was initially a small hobby group. Upon further investigation, in which the owner has willingly participated, the owner in question now owes the company a significant balance and is working to help rectify the situation.

The current group of owners was presented with this information on Monday. Administrative organization for the company is under review, and accounting procedures have been restructured, to correct the situation and provide more stringent oversight. We feel the management team at Catalyst did the responsible thing by seeking this financial review and we will continue to restructure as needed. We are in discussions with our partners and freelancers to remedy any back payments that may also be due as a result of this review.

We are embarrassed that this situation did occur but we hope our eagerness to make these changes, along with our reputation for making great games, will encourage you to stand by us. We understand that for a few employees the news was too stressful and we wish them all the best in their new endeavors. However, the majority of the team remains and will continue to bring great entertainment to you all. We appreciate the support our friends, freelancers, and fans have provided us in the past and look forward to a successful future.
>>>>>>

While I don't imagine this answers all questions people may have, I hope this sheds some light on the situation, particularly Catalyst's determination to continue producing products and to remedy back payments to freelancers. I remain open to questions people may have.

Jason H.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Semerkhet
post Mar 17 2010, 04:26 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,079

Unless the "owner" in question is very wealthy, you'd think they'd notice hundreds of thousands of dollars in extra "co-mingled" income. That or fire your accountant stat.

+Quote Post
tweak
post Mar 17 2010, 04:29 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,622

QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Mar 16 2010, 11:26 PM) *
Unless the "owner" in question is very wealthy, you'd think they'd notice hundreds of thousands of dollars in extra "co-mingled" income. That or fire your accountant stat.

This is when you bring in the lawyers and lose a lot of money in attorney fees.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Mar 17 2010, 06:18 AM
Post #4

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

Thanks for the update Jason. I for one have been very happy with CGL and wish them best of luck, as long as you guys put out good products i'll keep buying.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Mar 17 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Wow computer died and been out touch mostly for few weeks. Finally back online and log in to spot whats up with Catalyst. Sad to see so many good people leaving but I hope things can work out for the sake of our game.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Mar 17 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

So when will the free lancers that are owed money get paid? (Stupid question, but figured I'd ask anyway)

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post Mar 17 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

Freelancers are supposed to be getting statements shortly that would set out what they are owed and, from what I have heard, establish a payment schedule.

Jason H.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 17 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #8

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Mar 17 2010, 05:13 AM) *
...particularly Catalyst's determination to continue producing products and to remedy back payments to freelancers.

I sure hope you will make it thru this mess and continue the way you did before (and the Freelancers will get paid for their hard work, too).

You did a really great job with the game lines. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 17 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #9

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I don't understand. The company is voluntarily disclosing this information? As in, without prompting, admitting fault and accepting responsibility?

They must be hiding something...

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Mar 17 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,963

That owner should sell stuff he owns to give back to his company. Or hypotheque his life for the company ... Anyone up for the run (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (Kidding)

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 17 2010, 06:55 PM
Post #11

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (nezumi @ Mar 17 2010, 06:36 PM) *
I don't understand. The company is voluntarily disclosing this information? As in, without prompting, admitting fault and accepting responsibility?

If, by "voluntarily" and "without prompting" you mean "trying to put a positive spin on a potentially disastrous leak fueling the rumor-mill", then yes.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Mar 17 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

Does this mean I will be able to buy my hardcopy of Vice at my local game store? *sniff*

- J.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Mar 17 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #13

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

[Redacted]

+Quote Post
TheWanderingJewe...
post Mar 18 2010, 02:13 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,025

I have a copy of Vice. rather nice it is yes

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 18 2010, 02:19 AM
Post #15

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Funny how Vice pops up in thread that deals with CGL's financial situation.

+Quote Post
Ayeohx
post Mar 18 2010, 05:34 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,402

QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Mar 16 2010, 10:13 PM) *
We understand that for a few employees the news was too stressful and we wish them all the best in their new endeavors.

Sounds like some people got screwed over. Who'd we loose?

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Mar 18 2010, 06:14 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

QUOTE (tweak @ Mar 17 2010, 03:29 PM) *
This is when you bring in the lawyers and lose a lot of money in attorney fees.

Lots of small business owners use personal accounts (which is dumb) to conduct business out of. It's only a problem when you cannot cough up the money - then you are stuffed.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 18 2010, 06:49 AM
Post #18

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (Ayeohx @ Mar 18 2010, 06:34 AM) *
Who'd we loose?

http://adamjury.com/2010/no-longer-with-catalyst/

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Mar 18 2010, 08:36 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 16,449

QUOTE (Thanee @ Mar 18 2010, 01:49 AM) *

That BLOWS. It's hard to imagine a current SR book that doesn't have his name in the credits.

+Quote Post
Kool Kat
post Mar 18 2010, 12:23 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 13,422

The Kat takes an extended vacation from the Shadows and I come back to a whole heap of money sling'n, or lack there of, going on in the corporate belly of the beast. I hope they can repair the damage done and keep my Shadowrunners in business for years to come.

+Quote Post
Orcus Blackweath...
post Mar 18 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,433

Hmmm I would suggest hiring a group of shadowrunners to take his thieving ass out, but sadly we can't do that yet.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 19 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

edit: link to where i got this information.

tiger eyes (Jennifer Harding, was financial person... unsure of exact title), Adam Jury (layout guy, probably did half or more of everything else too), and an unnamed operations manager.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Mar 19 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #23

The back-up plan

The list of staff members who have resigned is:
Jennifer Harding, Bookkeeper and Office manager
Adam Jury, Lead Layout
David Stansel-Garner, Operations Director

Please forgive my previous error, I have redacted my comment.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Mar 20 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #24

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

And do we have a running total of which freelancers have given serious consideration to never working with CGL again? Seems to be a few of them and other than Adam's ever-stirling work, most the Shadowrun material has come from freelancers, has it not?

K.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Mar 20 2010, 01:54 AM
Post #25

The back-up plan

I do not have that information, and believe that it is a very subjective discussion for each individual.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:41 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.