IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AR Contacts, Now if I could just get a smartlink...
kjones
post Mar 18 2010, 04:38 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,163

The article doesn't say which enhancements come built-in, and which you have to pay extra for.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post Mar 18 2010, 04:43 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 2,904

Neat!

+Quote Post
nemafow
post Mar 18 2010, 04:49 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,237

Pretty cool, look pretty ugly from the outside tho, although 'transparent' I wonder if you notice the leds while wearing them.

+Quote Post
kjones
post Mar 18 2010, 05:01 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,163

The slashdot thread from which I got this link had some interesting comments - I'm going to assume that not all Dumpshock readers are /. readers as well, and repost one.

There are several difficulties with this type of system that have prevented it from becoming a reality. Here are a few:

1. This is too close to the eye to be able to resolve focus in most situations. The light isn't collimated or directional (it appears to be focused with some sort of "microlens" system), so one LED turned on can spread out to stimulate a wide patch of retinal cells. With any regular LED system you'd just see a big blur. For information requiring a single light this isn't a problem (flash an LED on/off under certain conditions, or change the color) but anything more will require something which can project cleanly onto the retina. This is not a trivial problem.
2. The detail-oriented part of your retina is near the center, in a part called the fovea [wikipedia.org]. While you think your vision is equally clear across a wide range, this is actually a trick of your brain. Your eyes are quite sensitive to rapid movement (low latency) on the edges, and more sensitive to detail in the center. When observing fine detail such as text, your eye actually "scans" an area and forms a larger, detailed image from the composite. Even if you could project the light cleanly 1:1 onto the retina, for any textual/HUD information you'd have to track eye motion very precisely and provide the information that the brain "expects" to see at each point. And again, the light has to be projected onto a very small part of the retina.
3. Retinal cells can get easily overstimulated, much like the burn-in on old CRTs. Even when looking at one object of normal intensity for any period of time longer than a few seconds, your eye will "jitter" back and forth. This involuntary movement is called nystagmus [wikipedia.org], and your brain compensates for it. (The rhythm changes when alcohol or drugs are ingested, which is why nystagmus tests are part of a DUI test.) Lab tests have shown that when the eye is physically restrained from moving in this way, objects effectively become invisible to the subject. So any 1:1 projection would also have to track nystagmus and then "jitter" in the same way as the eye, or the conveyed information would also become invisible.

So, don't get too excited.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 18 2010, 05:03 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

All we need now is a cross between the iPad and a cell phone with the bluetooth interface to these contacts, and we're all the much closer to Shadowrun AR.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 18 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I think these contacts came up a few months ago.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Mar 18 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

And they still can't figure out how to fit more than one pixel onto it. Morse code hacking anyone?

+Quote Post
Neowulf
post Mar 18 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,773

Bah, screw contacts, gimme a transparent oLED display applied to my glasses.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 19 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #9

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Mar 18 2010, 08:51 PM) *
And they still can't figure out how to fit more than one pixel onto it. Morse code hacking anyone?

Uh, you can clearly notice in the pics that it has at least 64 pixels, 8*8. See that net-like ctructure?

QUOTE (Neowulf @ Mar 18 2010, 09:21 PM) *
Bah, screw contacts, gimme a transparent oLED display applied to my glasses.

Focusing is still a problem. I mean, when something gets on the surface of yours, try making out exactly what it is and the shape of it.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 22 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #10

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

it dawned on me that what it needs is not many pixels, but the ability to sense the eyes movement, and calculate changes in the pixel pattern based on that.

that way it can draw a coherent image for the brain, pretty much like how a TV screen paints a moving image by updating fast enough that we do not notice.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Mar 22 2010, 11:36 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 19 2010, 12:27 AM) *
Uh, you can clearly notice in the pics that it has at least 64 pixels, 8*8. See that net-like ctructure?

That's just an artist's impression of what it WOULD look like. Read the text and it makes references to how the "technology would embed hundreds of semitransparent LEDs onto a thin lens". I've heard of these lenses before and seen the pictures too, it was on the shadowrun delicious page.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:10 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.