Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So a quick question from both me and my GM
MatrixJargon
post Mar 18 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,041

....What does the Steel Lynx look like and exactly how big is it? Also...the Doberman.

The drones in Core are so poorly described.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Mar 19 2010, 12:10 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

I think it is best left up to the imagination.

They have had some drone pics over the years, some varying dramatically through editions. I've always been of the mind that there are so many producers of drones that you can have different looking ones under the same product line.

Sorry I wasn't more help.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 19 2010, 12:25 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

A Steel Lynx is from 3rd edition, and relatively unchanged for 4th. A partial pic is available in SR4a on page 96 and can be helpful for a size reference as well.

The Doberman from 3rd edition you can expect to be a bit different for 4th as it's now a walker drone in 4th. AFAIK there's no pic for a 4th edition Doberman, yet.

Arsenal, page 102 has a good gauge on drone size classes and approximations for size. A Doberman, being a medium scale drone, can in theory look rather similar to a large dog since it's a walker, and because of its speed it could even have wheels instead of feet (discussed in another thread somewhere). But considering that there are likely half a dozen manufacturers for variants, any imaginative sketch based on a drone's vague description and listed gear should do just fine.

+Quote Post
MatrixJargon
post Mar 19 2010, 12:31 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Mar 19 2010, 12:25 AM) *
A Steel Lynx is from 3rd edition, and relatively unchanged for 4th. A partial pic is available in SR4a on page 96 and can be helpful for a size reference as well.

The Doberman from 3rd edition you can expect to be a bit different for 4th as it's now a walker drone in 4th. AFAIK there's no pic for a 4th edition Doberman, yet.

Arsenal, page 102 has a good gauge on drone size classes and approximations for size. A Doberman, being a medium scale drone, can in theory look rather similar to a large dog since it's a walker, and because of its speed it could even have wheels instead of feet (discussed in another thread somewhere). But considering that there are likely half a dozen manufacturers for variants, any imaginative sketch based on a drone's vague description and listed gear should do just fine.

Thanks a lot bro, we just wanted a general idea. Love the way the steel lynx is done, dunno if i'll use that concept for the doberman since i'm actually putting one of those virtual pet personalities in it coupled to an agent (It's the woof woof death machine). Might need something cuter.

Now if I can get an idea on the Dalmation I'm solid. If only they had been less vague....

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 19 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

http://www.gods-inc.de/macavity/IsleOfShad...cles/index.html

You'll find the two I linked there, as well as a whole mess of others, including the Dalmatian. Ignore the stats as they're all for 3rd edition.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 19 2010, 12:45 AM
Post #6

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

Also, with all the alternative models, you can always say they look the way you like as long as they are of roughly the same size and have the same stats.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Mar 19 2010, 01:14 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

The Steel Lynx is, basically, a mini-tank drone with a huge gun. Except instead of treads or wheels - it has legs WITH wheels. For bonus crawling around action. See: Here

Dobermen are now walker drones, and have big guns on them. I see them as kind of dog-drone, really. I'm having difficulty finding good pictures of them, but basically the dogbots from Deus Ex 2. They clomp around, look kinda spiffy, and have guns on their back. Also, the first few seconds/loadingscreen splash Here.

Remember that cyberspace designs are the king of Vectored Thrust drones. From the Dragonfly to the Dalmation, they've got hover-jets/fans/turbines to propel themselves around. I see the Dalmation as a sleek, fairly big(body 4, remember? Thats as big a a lynx). Kind of like a Predator UAV without wings, just 2-4 vectored thrust(Either 2 on the sides, or two front/2 back) engines to zoom it about. Like one of these, only smaller, more compact, and without guns.

Hope that helps.

Holy crap, spellbinder's link is really, really useful. Was all of that stuff really in 3rd edition, and if so, where can I find it?

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 19 2010, 01:34 AM
Post #8

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Mar 19 2010, 04:14 AM) *
Holy crap, spellbinder's link is really, really useful. Was all of that stuff really in 3rd edition, and if so, where can I find it?

I can't say I read all the 3rd Ed books, since I wasn't around back then, but I've flipped through them. And I don't remember seeing even a 10% of that.

+Quote Post
MatrixJargon
post Mar 19 2010, 01:39 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 19 2010, 02:34 AM) *
I can't say I read all the 3rd Ed books, since I wasn't around back then, but I've flipped through them. And I don't remember seeing even a 10% of that.

I've been there before, just didn't expect them to have the art I needed. Most of it is custom stuff. You'll also find the gunblade from FF8 on there, a three shot revolver called the Earthshaker from some anime, and a pistol with a blade on it that looks badass.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Mar 19 2010, 01:40 AM
Post #10

Runner

QUOTE (MatrixJargon @ Mar 18 2010, 07:39 PM) *
I've been there before, just didn't expect them to have the art I needed. Most of it is custom stuff. You'll also find the gunblade from FF8 on there, a three shot revolver called the Earthshaker from some anime, and a pistol with a blade on it that looks badass.

Gotcha, thanks. Still, I have to respect someone taking all that time to rip pictures and match them up with things.

+Quote Post
Navar
post Mar 19 2010, 01:56 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 16,735

QUOTE (MatrixJargon @ Mar 19 2010, 02:39 AM) *

The pistol with the blade on it that you're referring to is actually from the Blade Trinity movie. Just FYI.

+Quote Post
MatrixJargon
post Mar 19 2010, 02:09 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Navar @ Mar 19 2010, 01:56 AM) *
The pistol with the blade on it that you're referring to is actually from the Blade Trinity movie. Just FYI.

Thanks bro.

Like how your signature is an inside joke on our old campaign. Good times.

+Quote Post
The Monk
post Mar 19 2010, 02:56 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,593

[img]http://www.unsayablejazer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/image_09.jpg[/img]

This makes a good doberman.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Mar 19 2010, 03:22 AM
Post #14

Runner

QUOTE (The Monk @ Mar 18 2010, 08:56 PM) *
[img]http://www.unsayablejazer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/image_09.jpg[/img]

This makes a good doberman.

Ah, AMEE. Yes, yes it does, just with a huge gun on top. Much better than what I linked.

+Quote Post
Navar
post Mar 19 2010, 03:33 AM
Post #15

Target

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Mar 19 2010, 04:22 AM) *
Ah, AMEE. Yes, yes it does, just with a huge gun on top. Much better than what I linked.

Just make sure to remove the personality soft. Not a good idea to repeat the series of mistakes in that movie.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 19 2010, 03:42 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Add a panic button to it, like on the Renraku Manservent-3, if you're worried about it going berserk.

+Quote Post
Navar
post Mar 19 2010, 03:48 AM
Post #17

Target

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Mar 19 2010, 04:42 AM) *
Add a panic button to it, like on the Renraku Manservent-3, if you're worried about it going berserk.

The personality soft, tends to run the risk of it figuring out how to disable devices such as the "panic button". Curiosity, Sense of Self, Survival, and what not.

Besides some of us are still too paranoid to use even semi-intelligent or drones with meta-humanlike "personalities", since the SCIRE Incident.

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Mar 19 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,426

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Mar 18 2010, 07:42 PM) *

It's less likely to go berserk then to get suborned by the opposition - that's why I always add the Safe Target System (Arsenal, p33), which keeps the GM from turning my drone's weapons on the party.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Mar 19 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

Your Doberman could never turn against you if it had a personality soft based on K9 from Dr. Who.

All this talk about drone appearance has made me wonder about all Deus' drone designs from the arcology. The Medusa drone was always terrifyingly awesome.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Mar 20 2010, 01:49 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

QUOTE (MatrixJargon @ Mar 19 2010, 01:31 AM) *
Thanks a lot bro

I didn't know there were any bro's into SR...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zvTRQr7ns8

+Quote Post
MatrixJargon
post Mar 20 2010, 02:20 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 20 2010, 02:49 AM) *
I didn't know there were any bro's into SR...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zvTRQr7ns8

Oh, sorry. Thanks a lot Chummer

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:07 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.