IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I hope that AR is not that far away...
spongeclip
post Mar 19 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,319

I think that even with a perfect game system SR is the only game system that would require new editions - because of technological advancements, looking back over 2nd edition stuff, it's kind of funny what we thought would be bleeding edge tech because there are alot of things in these books that we already have. That being said SR4's Augmented Reality systems seems not only plausible but inevitable and I have to say I can't wait to have a wireless commlink headset that can monitor and digest information on the go and allow me to interact with the digital world. I would even say that it would awesome to deal with the annoyance of advertisements bombarding my visual overlay.

A bit farther away in the future I willa lso say that I'll be one of the first people in line to get a datajack to jack into the interweb but i think AR will be much sooner.

I'd even go so far as to say it's only 10 years or so away.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Mar 19 2010, 03:49 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

It's like AI - just another decade. Always another decade.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Mar 19 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

AR is already there through some smartphone (and PC) applications. They have two drawbacks:
1. Object recognition still requires too much computing power to be done in real-time on mobile devices
2. No AR glasses so you have to look through your phone screen

Problem 1. won't likely be solved anytime soon, though we're slowly getting there. Hopefully, even without advanced object recognition, we can still do pretty cool things.
As for problem 2. the first consumer grade AR glasses should arrive next year, if not before. It'll probably take a few more years to get a solid tech and a widespread use, though.

+Quote Post
spongeclip
post Mar 19 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 18,319

QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Mar 19 2010, 08:49 AM) *
It's like AI - just another decade. Always another decade.

lol, true true. And if it does happen religions are probably going to say that its the end of the world and the mark of the beast and all that jazz.

QUOTE (Blade @ Mar 19 2010, 08:59 AM) *
AR is already there through some smartphone (and PC) applications. They have two drawbacks:
1. Object recognition still requires too much computing power to be done in real-time on mobile devices
2. No AR glasses so you have to look through your phone screen

Problem 1. won't likely be solved anytime soon, though we're slowly getting there. Hopefully, even without advanced object recognition, we can still do pretty cool things.
As for problem 2. the first consumer grade AR glasses should arrive next year, if not before. It'll probably take a few more years to get a solid tech and a widespread use, though.

Any links?

+Quote Post
Blade
post Mar 19 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

General Link
If you want to see a good example of an AR application that people already use, take a look at Layar.

+Quote Post
Starfish
post Mar 19 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #6

Target

Group: New Member Probation
Member No.: 18,211

Here's a related article I stumbled over today: http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/editors/24936/?a=f

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.