IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sixth World Technology
Shadowrun Tech
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 72
Guests cannot vote 
Kazuhiro
post Mar 22 2010, 06:04 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,252

There's something that's been bugging me about Shadowrun and all its technology. Shadowrun is supposed to be a cyberpunk world where what we think of as ultra-technology has become commonplace and has integrated into everyday life in such a way that it has made possible a dystopian, Orwellian world that blends tropes from Blade Runner and Tron, then dumps elves, orks, and trolls into the mix. Mostly, this is accomplished, what with the authoritarian UCAS, the unscrupulous security agencies and corp-sec, extraterritoriality, and the constant mention of soy food, plascrete, and plasteel.

Still, by and large, the technology is all wrong. It's what we could do with what we have now, if we refined it and then made it commonplace. I've always believed that the advances of the future will be things that we can't even imagine now.

SR4 had to turn everything wireless in order to catch up with the real world, for God's sake. I also find it amusing to think that the creators of SR1 didn't realize that there would be people in the Sixth World who could remember clearly the low-tech days of laptops and keyboards.

SR4's technology seems like things that we would see 15 years from now, not 70. Most of it is already in the works-- the Matrix more or less exists, all we need is full-VR. Full-VR is in the works, all we need is simsense, which we admittedly only have a dull idea of how to do. Cybernetic limbs are practically there already.

There are plenty of things in SR4 that are beyond our grasp, such as sentient AI, for example, or Wired Reflexes, or most Bioware, and Nanoware has just about always been the domain of speculative fiction, but these things are incremental advances from technology that we have now. If the Awakening is happening in 2011 (and I've got my fingers crossed, seeing as the US is showing signs of allowing extraterritoriality eventually) then I strongly believe that the future should have more Magitech. Think about what we've done with computers in the last 50 years. What could we do with magic in 70 years? Even if science doesn't quite apply to magic, there are magicians who can invoke magical effects at will, so they can then use the scientific method to determine the exact limitations and mechanisms involved. The sourcebook's excuse for "magitech" was a wand with glowing moss in the tip and a delivery system for weaponized FABII.

70 years from now we won't have technology that's an incrementally better version of what we have now, even if it's 4 or 5 increments better. Technology will probably have veered off in an entirely different direction, which we can't imagine yet.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Mar 22 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 11,507

A poll with only negative choices proves nothing.

+Quote Post
Kazuhiro
post Mar 22 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #3

Target

Oh dammit I'm sorry. Thank you for catching my screwup.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Mar 22 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Kazuhiro @ Mar 22 2010, 03:04 PM) *
Still, by and large, the technology is all wrong. It's what we could do with what we have now, if we refined it and then made it commonplace. I've always believed that the advances of the future will be things that we can't even imagine now.
<snip>
Technology will probably have veered off in an entirely different direction, which we can't imagine yet.

Every science fiction that puts its futuristic story too near to the present will always get things wrong, it might actually pick one or two things correct, but will be wrong about everything else.

Now, how do you want that the shadowrun developers create futuristic stuff that we can't even imagine yet? See the paradox?

+Quote Post
Kazuhiro
post Mar 22 2010, 06:41 PM
Post #5

Target

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Mar 22 2010, 01:33 PM) *
Every science fiction that puts its futuristic story too near to the present will always get things wrong, it might actually pick one or two things correct, but will be wrong about everything else.

Now, how do you want that the shadowrun developers create futuristic stuff that we can't even imagine yet? See the paradox?
Maybe not stuff that we can't imagine yet, but it should surprise me. I hate to use this as an example but when my friends started explaining WH40K to me, my mind was blown. The Space Marines might look like Space Marines but this belies the fact that they are a race of fanatic-warrior monstrosities born with redundant organs the likes of which a Krogan would be jealous of. Look at Mass Effect, which makes up fancy words like "mass effect field" and "biotics" to explain, respectively, FTL travel and telekinesis (telekinesis which can be artificially introduced to an individual, no less.) And I don't know if there exists a setting that has a MagiTech MegaMech but there should be one.

+Quote Post
gorramfrakker
post Mar 22 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 18,297

Two points to make.

1. When the game came out in 1989, home computers and laptops were not common place. Heck, the Internet wasn't even what it was today. Cell phones were large bricks. Etc etc. The designers tried to pick a middle ground and lost that bet with mobile communications and the internet.

2. Don't forget the amount of data that was just lost to the '29 Crash. Imagine how long it would take to rebuild the technology if Microsoft, Google, and Apple were suddenly erased from the world.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Mar 22 2010, 07:14 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (gorramfrakker @ Mar 22 2010, 02:49 PM) *
2. Don't forget the amount of data that was just lost to the '29 Crash. Imagine how long it would take to rebuild the technology if Microsoft, Google, and Apple were suddenly erased from the world.

Not as much as you believe. The vast majority of information on the web is not held by these companies. I siad the technology didn't go far enough, but I don't think it's too far behind where I think we'll be in 2070.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Mar 22 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Mar 22 2010, 04:14 PM) *
Not as much as you believe. The vast majority of information on the web is not held by these companies. I siad the technology didn't go far enough, but I don't think it's too far behind where I think we'll be in 2070.

But the vast majority of data are held by some corp and universities, imagine if by the '29 crash they lost 90% of their digital information? And considering that just like today a lot of people is putting more and more information in digital media instead of dead tree™ you can only imagine that the panic of the 29 virus was biger than VITAS.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 22 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Mar 22 2010, 03:39 PM) *
But the vast majority of data are held by some corp and universities, imagine if by the '29 crash they lost 90% of their digital information? And considering that just like today a lot of people is putting more and more information in digital media instead of dead tree™ you can only imagine that the panic of the 29 virus was biger than VITAS.

*Cough*

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Mar 22 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #10

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

You are claiming that sci fi game ability to predict accurately conveys some sort of value?

BTW, I believe it's because almost all players of SR can in fact relate to the advances in tech that makes it popular and playable.

Just try and RP the unpredictable and unknown. It's hard to convey.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 23 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #11

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

SR technology is wrong for what? For an alternate timeline full of 80s, it's wrong only in that its hair has become too small. But that's a very different question from how accurately SR predicted what really will be available come 2050 - something they were never trying to do in the first place.

+Quote Post
kjones
post Mar 23 2010, 09:21 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,163

I don't like the direction they're taking with nanotech. Aside from its mechanical silliness, commonplace nanotech would have a really big social impact, and you just don't see that.

I just ignore it in my games.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 23 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (kjones @ Mar 23 2010, 05:21 PM) *
Aside from its mechanical silliness

Do you mean the degredation rules, or...?

In any case, I like that there is nanotech, even if its largely useless. The whole concept of having nanotats is appealing--I just wish there was an essence-free way to keep it active.

+Quote Post
Brol_The_Mighty
post Mar 23 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,579

I agree to a point about the technology. I think with some of it, they've got it great, like bioware. But for the armors, and most of the weaponry...its stuff that we're already experimenting with today. The only real "sci-fi" out of this world stuff, is the monofilament stuff. I personally would've liked to see some better armor options, at least. However, you do have to take into account, this is ONLY 2070, and they've had several catastrophies to deal with...which slowed down progress, if not halted it altogether.

+Quote Post
Khyron
post Mar 23 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,367

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Mar 22 2010, 03:39 PM) *

Did corps and universities suddenly stop making backups for whatever reason? You know, in case they have to format? I don't see a whole lot of information being lost, just delayed until it's restored back on the network which would probably be the day after the virus was dealt with.

+Quote Post
gorramfrakker
post Mar 23 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 18,297

QUOTE (Khyron @ Mar 23 2010, 02:52 PM) *
Did corps and universities suddenly stop making backups for whatever reason? You know, in case they have to format? I don't see a whole lot of information being lost, just delayed until it's restored back on the network which would probably be the day after the virus was dealt with.

The big trend today is disk to disk backups and off-site vitural backups, as the price of data space keeps shrinking more and more companies are dropping backup to tape all together. Now advance that 19 years and I can see were tape backups are rare and everything is on harddisk. The Crash Virus would have been able to access those harddrives and destroy the data.

This post has been edited by gorramfrakker: Mar 23 2010, 10:45 PM

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 24 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #17

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (Khyron @ Mar 23 2010, 05:52 PM) *

You're way too stuck in 2010 headspace.

In 1989/2060, computers couldn't really be 'backed up'. You couldn't just burn a disc and put it on a new computer. A computer takes a good investment of time and money to store and configure data, and those configuration settings couldn't just be ported over. Data could be backed up, but it wasn't cheap, wasn't easy, and wasn't fast. Sure, companies would have back-ups - old discs or tapes lying around with software from four years ago, or last year's spreadsheets. But the stuff made today, or even last month, wasn't cost-effective to backup - it would be out of date almost before it was in a box. So it made more sense to just have maybe multiple networked systems and keep saving your data across them.

+Quote Post
kjones
post Mar 24 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,163

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 23 2010, 05:28 PM) *
Do you mean the degredation rules, or...?

In any case, I like that there is nanotech, even if its largely useless. The whole concept of having nanotats is appealing--I just wish there was an essence-free way to keep it active.

Yeah, the degradation rules. Doesn't make sense logically or mechanically.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 24 2010, 06:41 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (kjones @ Mar 24 2010, 02:34 PM) *
Yeah, the degradation rules. Doesn't make sense logically or mechanically.

Yes it does (logically, at least). Nanites are going to be seen by the body as foreign objects and clean them out, slowly. You'll also have nanites that break or lose power (especially hard nanites). Mechanically this is represented as by losing 1 rating point per week. Given that most of the systems perform some job function, and perform it better at higher ratings, as there gets to be fewer nanites in the swarm, they won't perform as optimal of a job.

That said, what is wrong with it?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 24 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Aside from the Wireless stuff it's pretty much spot on.

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Mar 25 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,849

Regarding the nanites: From what I remember, they don't self replicate(grey goo worries), so any lost nanites don't get replaced. You get cut, you bleed some of them. You sneeze, you likely lose a couple, ...etc. The hive creates more when necessary. Makes sense to me

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 25 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #22

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

What doesn't make sense is the regeneration rate of a hive – it's weeks.

Even healing rules are faster than that… days work ok, mostly.

+Quote Post
Toxic Summon
post Mar 25 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 18,277

In the '60s, the speculation was that today flying cars that could drive themselves would be commonplace. There's one or two tiny flying car companies today, and while there are car features that do parallel parking, we are far from having a fully functioning autopilot for our cars. I see no fault with the Shadowrun writers putting evolutionary, not revolutionary technology in their games. If you want to introduce an experimental commlink that uses DNA sequences as storage as a GM, no one is stopping you.
If you like even more high-tech stuff, go play Eclipse Phase. It's free, and it's awesome.

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Mar 25 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,849

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 25 2010, 02:22 PM) *
What doesn't make sense is the regeneration rate of a hive – it's weeks.

Even healing rules are faster than that… days work ok, mostly.

Granted, weeks are a bit much. Maybe left in as a way for GMs to keep a handle on nano(if they so chosoe). Thankfully this doesn't come into play very often; I think massively bleeding out is the most common out of very few ways to lose a rating point's worth.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Mar 25 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #25

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Some systems, like Universal Nantidote and Nanite Hunter both degrade directly…

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:01 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.