Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ways and Paths.
Hagga
post Mar 23 2010, 05:43 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,538

Just how do Changelings fit into the Ways and Paths? What about metavariants?

What about changelings and metavariants that are not, but look like, elves?+
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Mar 23 2010, 07:54 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

AFAIK, SURGEd elves are still elves. Non-elves are still not elves, no matter how much they may look like elves. As such, the overwhelming majority of Path magic practitioners still won't teach a character who looks like an elf, but isn't. They may have reservations about teaching an elf who doesn't look much like an elf, with those reservations probably increasing in direct proportion to the divergence from the elven phenotype.

Non-elves who don't look like elves are not even worth considering. You'll have to find one of those Tir exiles mentioned in Street Magic.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Mar 23 2010, 09:24 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Mar 23 2010, 07:54 AM) *
AFAIK, SURGEd elves are still elves. Non-elves are still not elves, no matter how much they may look like elves. As such, the overwhelming majority of Path magic practitioners still won't teach a character who looks like an elf, but isn't. They may have reservations about teaching an elf who doesn't look much like an elf, with those reservations probably increasing in direct proportion to the divergence from the elven phenotype.

Non-elves who don't look like elves are not even worth considering. You'll have to find one of those Tir exiles mentioned in Street Magic.

How would they know you're not an elf if you can pass for one, though? This came up in game. I honestly can't find a reason, but I suppose some of them might have "detect elf" spells. Which brings to mind an entertaining idea - Lord Torgo awakening with an area effect "Slay elf" spell.

+Quote Post
Professor Evil O...
post Mar 23 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,103

QUOTE (Hagga @ Mar 23 2010, 01:24 AM) *
How would they know you're not an elf if you can pass for one, though? This came up in game. I honestly can't find a reason, but I suppose some of them might have "detect elf" spells. Which brings to mind an entertaining idea - Lord Torgo awakening with an area effect "Slay elf" spell.

As paranoid as the Tirs are I'd say they regularly do full DNA workups on every path member. It's safer that way, and they get a nifty ritual sample as an added bonus. It's not like you can just show up and join a path anyways - you pretty much have to be born into your path - followers are raised in them as early as childhood (basically as soon as they are identified as awakened).

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Mar 23 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Hmm. I was thinking assensing would tell you someone's metatype, but it's not mentioned on the Assensing Table (p.183, SR4). Even so, I think trying to pass yourself off as an elf for the purpose of learning magic that is explicitly reserved for elves would be dodgy at best. If you get caught, you're looking at a number of seriously torqued-off magicians (the guy you fooled, plus all his buddies, plus the hardcore elven supremacists who will want to stomp on your head regardless of whether they have a personal stake in the matter). This is not generally considered a promising scenario, vis-a-vis long-term survival.

+Quote Post
Dragnar
post Mar 23 2010, 10:21 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,638

Would make for a solid background to explain why your non-elf knows path magic and slipped into the shadows, though...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:44 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.