IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How long have you been around?, Show us your long, droopy epeen :)
RobertB
post Mar 25 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,516

Since folks were warned off the Catalyst thread with talks about how long they've been around, I thought they might want to continue the conversation. Codgers love to reminisce. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'll say that I picked up the first blue book in '89. I was 19, and when I saw a mage casting spells in an alley while a firefight was happening, I had to pick up the book. Sold! Got 'em all since then, including full sets of KaGe and Shadowland magazines.

Joined the Shadowrn mailing list in '94 (when my work got email), but collected stuff from BBSs before that. (A primer on Shadowrun television springs to mind.) Saw Bull join the list with a bang. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Shadowrun Archive, Dumpshock, Jury's Bench, CLUE files, etc. Lurked on 'em all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Some of us may not post much, but we're here, we love Shadowrun, and we'll keep playing 'til the Awakening.

Robert (aka Spanner)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blade
post Mar 25 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

QUOTE (RobertB @ Mar 25 2010, 03:50 PM) *
Some of us may not post much, but we're here, we love Shadowrun, and we'll keep playing 'til the Awakening.

I intend to keep playing after the Awakening.

+Quote Post
graywulfe
post Mar 25 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 13,723

As I said before I got started when I was a Freshman in High School (1991). Back then I didn't have internet access, so I didn't know about the online stuff. Heck I didn't really know alot about computers. I just played Oregon Trail on them. hehe

Either way I love the game, the setting, et al.

Graywulfe

+Quote Post
graywulfe
post Mar 25 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 13,723

QUOTE (Blade @ Mar 25 2010, 09:56 AM) *
I intend to keep playing after the Awakening.

Here, here!!!

+Quote Post
Caadium
post Mar 25 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,646

I first Dabbled around 91 when I was just getting into RPGs. The setting was incredible, but there was only 1 guy I knew that played and he didn't play that much. In 95 I inherited a hardcover 2nd edition and library (both 1st and 2nd edition). Been a big SR fan ever since, with life causing some gaming breaks in there. Starting in 98 or so I was ghosting Dumpshock and such. I think I still have copies of Adam's old TSS issues on a disk somewhere.

+Quote Post
wusselpompf
post Mar 25 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 16,249

ich started playing around '96, when I was 14, and my first SB was Shadowtech. I joined the rpg-internet-communities pretty late, only around 2006/7 or so.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Mar 25 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

I started in highschool when it first came out (1989-IIRC). Did alot of my SR games early in college (2 year long campaign once a week). Had a break from 2001 to 2008 (because of the game that causes cancer) as the group I was ith was not interested in SR.

In any event, kept up with the books, though never posted much until I found dumpshock.

+Quote Post
kjones
post Mar 25 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,163

I started playing last summer ('09).

We can still be friends, right guys?

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Mar 25 2010, 03:36 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (kjones @ Mar 25 2010, 11:27 AM) *
I started playing last summer ('09).

We can still be friends, right guys?

Depends on how much you have in your wallet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Arclight
post Mar 25 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 1,077

Bought my first BBB (SR2.01D+SSC 2.01D) in '94, joined ShadowRN in the fall of '97. After NCO school and especially after getting married, I manage to play a maximum of twice a year. Life takes it's toll, I guess (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Mar 25 2010, 04:06 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

Started reading SR in 94 or 95 - sometime in middle school, anyway - when I found the book in my Uncles room. That was the 2e BBB. From there I just started reading whatever I could pick up. If I remember correctly, I tried exactly one game of SR with my group around '98 or '99, discovered that it was about as understandable as calculus to us at the time, and promptly put the book down. Despite owning 3e, I never played until 4e came out.

I've been on Dumpshock since about 2006, but for some reason my account wouldn't register until I tried again Dec of 2007. Now, I just don't post that often, because I like to be a mysterious raven.

(or not)

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 25 2010, 04:12 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

There was this kid in school, one of the unpopular ones that liked to steal shit, and we were in the library and he pulled out a copy of Sprawl Sites. I was hooked.

I didn't get around to Dumpshock until...uh...I guess it was the second incarnation? Not sure of the timeframe there. Went from there to Bulldrek. Precipitated the death of the 2nd Lounge.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Mar 25 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

Started playing in grade 9... so 95 I guess. I started futzing around DS in 96 or 97.

+Quote Post
JTNLANGE
post Mar 25 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 885

Picked up SR1 2 days after Gencon in 1989. I am from Milwaukee so probably saw before a lot of people. I saw that poster and told my friends that was a game I wanted to try. Went to a game store and was just kinda of looking around and saw the book by accident. Got it right away and played the first game 3 nights later. Own everything since and don't plan on stopping any time soon. Should have the tree version of Midnight today.

Trevor

+Quote Post
KnightIII
post Mar 25 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 17,829

Ye gads... I was in middle school. My introduction was... unique.

I had just re-watched this low budget film you probably have not heard of by this no name director. It was called E.T. I was 12ish. I bought the book (I worked in the school cafiteria). I finally learned what all the older cooler kids were doing at the kitchen table the night E.T. showed up. So, off I went to Toys R Us, bought my first D&D box set and have not left the RPG community since.

By 8th grade I was introduced to computers and my coolest computer science teacher ever. He used to play D&D, but having become ultra Christian he got away from it because of its magic. He introduced me to Battle-tech. I loved the lore and setting of Battletech. So naturually I got Mechwarrior. I even liked the way the companies name sounded. FASA. And I got all those little FASA mini catalogs and finally I noticed Shadowrun. I was like OMG! Its D&D meets Battletech!

So here I am, 20 years after buying that first D&D boxed set. All my favorite games have gone through ups and downs. But that doesnt matter overly much. Its the other people around the table that keep me coming back year after year and will continue to do so regardless of the company lable on the boods or the ever growing number before the Edition lable.

+Quote Post
Nifft
post Mar 25 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,227

I've been playing Shadowrun for weeks!

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Mar 25 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

I don't have a big, droopy, epeen to show off, sorry. I started playing SR back in middleschool, so '95-'96 or thereabouts. Started with SR2 (and D6 Star Wars at the same time) and was hooked on table top games from then on. I have since gone back and purchased hard copies in good condition of the SR1 materials and some of the SR2 and 3 I missed out on due to not having a job (and blowing my allowance and saved up lunch money on video games).

+Quote Post
tete
post Mar 25 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

I was introduced to Shadowrun right after a Traveller campaign ended (94-95) to my surprise I already owned one of the books. I had picked up the street samurai catalog (1st edition) years before not even knowing what it was, just cus I thought it looked cool. I was quickly hooked and started collecting any 1st edition stuff I could find, Then in 96 we switched to 2e and I played that until 2000, this is also during the time I found out Nigel Findley had died, and joined the ranks of the online shadowrun community as some variation on "razor" and in 1997 as "tete" after the pizza incident. In 2000 I moved and started running my own 3e game. In 2002 I moved again and gave up shadowrun until this year.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Mar 25 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I still have the first flyer promoting SR1 way back in 1989. I picked up SR1 as a change from AD&D, and I've been hooked ever since. I still have my "Harlequin's Back" offcial t-shirt, the 'goats-skull' logo pin, a bandana from the old Ka*Ge magazine (I also contributed to the mag), and still have ALL the books. I'm fairly caught up to Seattlle 2072, which I hope to pick up this weekend.
I still have all the novels. I'd have to rifle through my files for which articles I have, but I have those too.

People can gripe about SR not being cyberpunk all they want. I'm enjoying the game. And that's all that matters. And not that anyone cares, I was well out of high school when SR1 came out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Slyck
post Mar 25 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 17,569

Started playing with the 1st edition back in 1991 when some guys at my LGS needed someone to fill in for a missing player. Loved it and even though I've only been in sporadic campaigns since I make sure to pick up all the material as it comes out (money permitting).

As to the online community I've been lurking about for a couple years, but I missed out on all those early incarnation. My loss.

+Quote Post
Cergorach
post Mar 25 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 118

Bought SR1 in '89, was thirteen at the time. The dude (Scouting 'hopman') who introduced me to D&D two years before showed me his new toy, the SR1 bluebook hardcover, I browsed through it and was quickly hooked. Can't remember if I ever played SR1, it was rather cumbersome, especially when compared to AD&D 2nd Edition. I bought one as soon as I could afford (no new D&D books and G.I. Joe toys for me), which at the time took a lot longer then it does now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) It took a couple of years (after SR2 hit the streets) before I GMed my first SR game...

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 25 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #22

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

I haven't been around all that long i am afraid <.<
feels probably longer for the other people here though ^^

+Quote Post
Robineng
post Mar 25 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 18,339

Been around awhile I guess. Picked up the 3rd edition book about 10 years ago, really loved the setting and the game... But unfortunately I've not gotten to play all that much through the years, but in a 4th edition game now that seems very promising. Very new to dumpshock however, I never heard of the forum until a few months ago and just registered.

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Mar 25 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

My first run was in the spring of 1993. Living in Germany, we got SR2 (2.01D as FanPro called it) some time later. I started to hang around at the FanPro (Germany) board in the late 90s. About '98 or '99. I've been visiting about six to ten conventions per year for a decade now. Since autumn 2008 I'm a member of the Pegasus Support Team running promo runs for Pegasus Spiele at conventions.

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Mar 25 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,849

Been around awhile I guess. Picked up the 3rd edition book about 10 years ago, really loved the setting and the game... But unfortunately I've not gotten to play all that much through the years, but in a 4th edition game now that seems very promising. Very new to dumpshock however, I never heard of the forum until a few months ago and just registered.

Welcome to loony bin, chummer

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.