> High armor rating
Evilness45
post Apr 12 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,231

So, they guys is a troll.
That means hes wearing a body armor, a shield and a helmet. Which gives him a nice 14 ballistic armor rating.
Seriously, how can bullets actually harm him? Everything get turned into stun damage.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Apr 12 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Stun damage eventually turns into Physical damage. You just keep going at it. And, honestly, a Ballistic Armor rating of 14 isn't that hard to get for a combat type. Anyone with a Body of 6 can do about the same using nothing but an Armored Jacket (8/6), Form-Fitting Half-Body Armor (+4/+1), and SecureTech Vitals Protector and Body Casings (+2/+2) with absolutely no encumbrance. That's Ballistic 14/Impact 9, and it's easy to get your Impact up higher, too. It's also all perfectly reasonable for a typical runner.

If it bothers you and the characters are earning a reputation for being hard to kill, it wouldn't be out of the question to start having enemies carry ammo that helps. Any kind of taser or stick-n-shock attack will instantly halve their Impact armor, which is almost always lower than Ballistic to begin with, and APDS loaded into a shotgun or Ruger Super Warhawk can ruin anyone's day. Most forms of magic will ignore it completely, and security drones are often loaded with heavy weapons that can easily handle FA bursts. Called Shots are another official option, but the way they handle it is kind of weird; apparently, it's just as hard to hit an exposed area of someone wearing Armored Vest as it is someone wearing fully Armored Clothing with a Helmet. But that's the joy of an abstract system for you. Gotta take the good with the bad.

That said, trolls are supposed to be a bitch to kill. It's the main perk they get for their huge creation costs.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Apr 12 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

QUOTE (Evilness45 @ Apr 12 2010, 05:09 PM) *
Seriously, how can bullets actually harm him? Everything get turned into stun damage.

why do you think stun/=harm? a troll's stun monitor will almost ever be lower than the physical one, therefore he's out even faster than without converting.

edited for clarification refering to the following post

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Apr 12 2010, 03:24 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

That's not really accurate, though. Without the armor, he'd be taking more boxes of Physical damage than he would be taking Stun damage with tons of armor. I'm pretty sure that unless he's a full conversion cyberlimb junkie or something, he's not going to have that much higher of a Physical Condition Monitor.

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Apr 12 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

dont forget the non-conductive lining to four FFBA. electricity is the most common nonstandard damage type after all.

if you have 12 dice of baillistic armor, thats 3 or 4 less damage on average from soak. your 14 armor body 6 is going to soak an average of 6 boxes, enough to ignore a large amount of gun fire. the thing is thats an average- and the roll will botch eventually, and you will do a lot of damage all at once.

now, if you want to stop a troll? manabolt. willpower of 3 or 4 isnt enough to keep standing for long.

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Apr 12 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,426

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 12 2010, 07:24 AM) *
That's not really accurate, though. Without the armor, he'd be taking more boxes of Physical damage than he would be taking Stun damage with tons of armor. I'm pretty sure that unless he's a full conversion cyberlimb junkie or something, he's not going to have that much higher of a Physical Condition Monitor.

Doc is right, of course - figure every three points of armor works out on average to -1 on the incoming damage. That can be pretty huge, especially on a troll - a Body of 12 and Armor of 12 (both only average for Trog Shadowrunners) works out to -8 soak on average. That's a huge advantage.

Regarding the Physical/Stun track difference, though, I must respectfully disagree. Our Body 12 Troll from the previous example would have 14 boxes of Physical damage. If he has a decent Willpower of 4, he will have 10 boxes of Stun available. Given the amount of damage his armor will be mitigating, those 4 extra boxes could mean he keeps standing vs physical damage for at least one extra IP, and the sooner he goes down, the better.

Just my personal opinion, of course - I do a lot of autofire attacks, and justify the lousy armor penetration with the argument above. Stun puts them just as out of the fight, does it quicker, and once they're down you can ignore 'em, execute 'em, or interrogate them at your leisure.

+Quote Post
WinterScale
post Apr 12 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 18,448

Seconding what's being said here. When high armor becomes an issue, things like Fire, Magic and Sticky Shock become the solutions. Stun damage drops anyone faster than physical anyway, due to the reduced ability to resist it. And with the exception of low body/high willpower magic users, almost every single creature will have a smaller stun track than physical.

+Quote Post
Banaticus
post Apr 12 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,574

QUOTE (Evilness45 @ Apr 12 2010, 08:09 AM) *
Everything get turned into stun damage.

Over in the K-10 thread people were trying to brainstorm and 12 boxes of stun is the most that anyone can get without putting some serious Karma into Willpower after character creation. As soon as any damage track is filled, the character falls unconscious until some of the damage is healed. So, if all the damage you're doing is converted into stun, it's really easy to knock them unconscious. (Especially since most trolls have low Willpower.) In fact, the troll might stay up on his feet longer if he took some of the armour off and let some of the damage go physical instead.

+Quote Post
kjones
post Apr 12 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,163

I envision a system in which your armor has a quick-release system connected to a biomonitor, so once you get below (say) 3 boxes of stun, it automatically falls away, so you can start taking physical damage instead.

+Quote Post
Wandering One
post Apr 12 2010, 06:44 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,276

Yeah, that always bothers me. Alright, you barely won your brawl with Tyson, Little Mac, and you're about to fall over. However! It won't matter if I shoot you in both legs right? *BANG BANG* See? No problem, no difference. Well, except for you're bleeding... just don't bump your head!

I've been debating on a house rule that half of one monitor to be 'ghosted' on the other one for determining someone going unconscious. I say ghosted because it wouldn't add any more to the negative modifiers, but if you had, say, 6 stun and 6 physical, I'd check your consciousness against 9 boxes on both. Haven't implimented it to see the results yet though, just something I'd been tossing around.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Apr 12 2010, 07:05 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Yeah, it's definitely an odd system. Sure beats straight-up hit points though. <shudders at the thought>

Maybe someone could come up with a system that, while keeping track of two different types of damage, determines unconsciousness based on the total negative modifiers of the combined tracks. For instance, say every time you suffer enough boxes to warrant a -1 modifier, you have to make an Essence + Willpower Test with a threshold equal to the modifier. And once the threshold reaches a certain level, you automatically fall unconscious no matter what.

Okay, so that example is pretty extreme and crippling, but you get the gist. Personally, I don't really care enough to put much thought into it. It works well enough for me.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 12 2010, 07:34 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 12 2010, 03:05 PM) *
Yeah, it's definitely an odd system. Sure beats straight-up hit points though. <shudders at the thought>

You mean like my Lolth Touched Half Howling Dragon / Crystaline Troll Mineral Warrior? 250 "you can't hurt these" points.
(Ah, ECL 20, what can't you do?)

+Quote Post
Wandering One
post Apr 12 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,276

Well, Funk, for a quick and dirty, figure out what your max negative is (body or max), if you hit that max between the two charts, nighty night.

+Quote Post
KnightIII
post Apr 12 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 17,829

If I didnt know better I would swear the OP was talking about the troll in my campain. Body 8, Camo Suit, Ballistic shield, helmet, dermal implant 2, Aluminum bone lacing. For my poor NPCs its hard enough to hurt him, much less cause stun damage.

Goon: 3 pistols, 4 agility, smartlink = 9dice. avg 3 hits. (Ares Predator)
Troll: 8 reaction (6 + wired 2)=2-3hits average. So I normally barely hit.
Damage from predator: 5 base + 1 Net = 6p damage.
Troll soak: 8 body + 8 armor + 2 helm + 6 shield + 2 Bone Lacing =26 dice. 8-9 avg hits. No damage.

Even swapping in a assault rifle and a long burst only pumps the damage to 13. So a net of 4-5 stun damage.

Trolls are just beasts like that. I reccomend mages. Oh, and mounted MMGs or Panther Cannons.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 12 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #15

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Pain Editor.
You won't keel over untill your physical monitor is into overflow, as long as that thing is active.
I still don't see why people are actually COMLAINING about Trolls being REALLY tough.
It's the only thing they do better than most other things. Well, that and athletics where Strength/Body counts.
Trolls are SUPPOSED to take a Shotgun to the chest and barely cough.
Trolls are SUPPOSED to take the heavy pistol to the head and get to complain about a slight headache.
And stuff with regeneration might be easier to hurt, but it just keeps getting back up again.

+Quote Post
Patrick the Gnom...
post Apr 12 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,863

If you think 14 armor is bad you should check out the Possession Tactical Manual thread. 50+ soak dice, 16 of it Hardened, makes GMs cry. Notably that thread also has a good deal of information about taking down ridiculously armored targets.

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Apr 12 2010, 11:14 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,426

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 12 2010, 12:54 PM) *
Pain Editor.
You won't keel over untill your physical monitor is into overflow, as long as that thing is active.

Great point. Pain Editor (and Adrenal Pump, if you're so inclined) both turn your entire stun track into "free" damage boxes for as long as they last. In SR4, I don't even see a downside to Pain Editor - presumably the GM could make you roleplay the whole lack of tactile feedback/doesn't realize he's bleeding out thing from previous editions. Was there ever any crunch for that, or was it all fluff? I think I remember the Shadowtalkers shuddering at what a bad idea it was.

Anyway, Pain Editor is part of my standard loadout for Prime Runners. Still, a few more Full Auto bursts will usually do the trick. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 12 2010, 11:28 PM
Post #18

The ShadowComedian

Yes, there was crunch for that:
You don't get to know how much your character has taken AT ALL.
Even your physical damage.
The GM simply applies the wound modifiers to your rolls.
When your Character DOES keel over without warning, your character is in overflow without you knowing.
You could more or less circumvent this with a bio-monitor.
Else, Pain-Editor is the be all end all of being nigh unstopable.

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Apr 12 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 15,912

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 12 2010, 01:05 PM) *

Maybe someone could come up with a system that, while keeping track of two different types of damage, determines unconsciousness based on the total negative modifiers of the combined tracks. For instance, say every time you suffer enough boxes to warrant a -1 modifier, you have to make an Essence + Willpower Test with a threshold equal to the modifier. And once the threshold reaches a certain level, you automatically fall unconscious no matter what.

Okay, so that example is pretty extreme and crippling, but you get the gist. Personally, I don't really care enough to put much thought into it. It works well enough for me.

I'm working on it, but it involves frankensteining a system from dreampod9 onto SR4.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 12 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

I still like the SR3 System better.
Staging down Damage is from physical to nothing and from stun to nothing.
And if stun goes into overflow, it goes into physical. and if physical goes into overflow, it goes into dead.

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Apr 12 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Speaking of pain editors and regenerating creatures does anyone know of any regenerating creature which can accept and have functional gene ware?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Apr 12 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Anyone possessed by a great form plant spirit can manage it.

+Quote Post
Banaticus
post Apr 13 2010, 12:28 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,574

Shapeshifters can have high grade cyberware in their "original" (animal) form. They lose essence as normal, though, so you'd need to buy up magic before cybering or once you get any cyberware you lose your only point of magic and become stuck in your animal form forever. Or you can just stay "stuck" as a bear with a freaking laser embedded in your cybereyes and Wired Reflexes III with a smartgun skinlink in your paw or something, maybe using your new implanted ware to communicate with others via the Matrix since you can't talk anymore.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Apr 13 2010, 12:32 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

By the standard rules, shapeshifters can only accept deltaware. Geneware is not available as deltaware. I don't see why they can't accept a Pain Editor though.

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Apr 13 2010, 01:23 AM
Post #25

Running Target

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 12 2010, 06:32 PM) *
By the standard rules, shapeshifters can only accept deltaware. Geneware is not available as deltaware. I don't see why they can't accept a Pain Editor though.

Was thinking about if it is possible to have it encoded into their DNA so it becomes a 'normal' part of their nervous system using the gene heritage edge.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.