IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR: What do love most? And what company can best bring it?, Or, who do you want to have the license?
augmentin
post Apr 13 2010, 05:49 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,416

For me it's the metaplots. I really miss the metaplots and the larger than life stories. It's not enough just to have an uber munckin Cyber/Mystic/Adept with an Ally Spirit and a Tbird. I want my PCs to be involved in something that matters.

Which company can best do that?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Apr 13 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Well, there hasn't been a company yet that has tried to kill off Shadowrun's metaplot. So, assuming the company doesn't kill off the idea of a metaplot, how much you like the metaplot development mostly comes down to the line developer and the writers.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 13 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

See, I don't care about the metaplot at all; at most, it's the fluff for rule changes across editions.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Apr 13 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Three posts in and three differing viewpoints! Bring Back the Metaplot, The Metaplot Never Left, and The Metaplot Serves No Major Purpose!

<3 Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Apr 13 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Adam @ Apr 13 2010, 03:05 PM) *
Three posts in and three differing viewpoints! Bring Back the Metaplot, The Metaplot Never Left, and The Metaplot Serves No Major Purpose!

<3 Shadowrun.

Which pretty much sums up the "Spirit of Dumpshock" ask three people the same question and you'll get 5 answers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Apr 13 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #6

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Apr 13 2010, 12:07 PM) *
Which pretty much sums up the "Spirit of Dumpshock" ask three people the same question and you'll get 5 answers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Only 5?

+Quote Post
YourAdHere
post Apr 13 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 18,401

Who did it best? FASA. You can often imitate but never replicate. But I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

And I like the metaplots, and I feel that they remain to this day. However, there are WAY to many holes. I know, these are left intentionally to make you desire to know more and buy the latest wiz book. Or you could just fill them in yourself. Then a new book comes out and everything you came up with is junk...

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Apr 13 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

Not to mention two threads, same basic premise. There's another thread with a poll around here somewhere with the same stuff. I'll say the same basic thing here that I did there:

Quality of Work with a minor caveat to usability of material.

On that score CGL gets higher marks then any other company out there. There are other companies out there who do good work especially on their pet system/game world, but CGL has been a good incumbent to a customer standpoint I see no reason not to pick them over a dark horse.

Edit: Clarified

+Quote Post
Adam
post Apr 13 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

QUOTE (YourAdHere @ Apr 13 2010, 02:14 PM) *
Then a new book comes out and everything you came up with is junk...

If you had fun with it, was it junk? Of course not. Funny that RPG publishers are damned if they do something -- make a change, advance a plot, etc -- and damned if they don't. I'd rather be damned for doing something than not doing anything (and doing things generally makes more money (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 13 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #10

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Punk, math, grit and explosions. In a nutshell, SR2 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

However, I don't think Shadowrun will ever, officially, go that way again. So I'd rather have the company which includes the most metaplot and splat books relevant to the SR3 campaigns I play. So far, CGL has done quite well at that. I don't care if they change to SR5 or a new mechanics system, as long as it doesn't go to a linear probability mechanic. Then I'll just cry.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Apr 13 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Yeah, the metaplot has never gotten in the way of what I wanted to do. Maybe I took an open plot hook and developed an entire campaign around it, only to discover that it got covered in a later SR book. So? I'll just typically go with what I came up with and maybe see if I can use the SR-developed material elsewhere.

+Quote Post
YourAdHere
post Apr 13 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 18,401

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Apr 13 2010, 02:16 PM) *
On that score CGL gets higher marks then any other company out there. There are other companies out there who do good work especially on their pet system/game world, but CGL has been a good incumbent to a customer standpoint I see no reason to pick them over a dark horse.

As long as CGL keeps putting out books, I'm happy with them. And as long as WotC doesn't get the license. The last thing we need is a d20 Shadowrun.... That's just my opinion.

QUOTE (Adam)
If you had fun with it, was it junk? Of course not. Funny that RPG publishers are damned if they do something -- make a change, advance a plot, etc -- and damned if they don't. I'd rather be damned for doing something than not doing anything (and doing things generally makes more money )

I don't disagree with that at all. I just wish my players were on the same page. But once we finish a story, and even act on it in the next one, then other book comes out and you find out Ghostwalker was actually a fairy princess in disguise, they're just ready to kick whatever we did right out the window in favor fr "offical" story.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Apr 13 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 13 2010, 03:23 PM) *
as long as it doesn't go to a linear probability mechanic. Then I'll just cry.

I second here. If there is one thing I really hate is linear probability distribution.

+Quote Post
Kid Chameleon
post Apr 13 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,315

QUOTE (Adam @ Apr 13 2010, 01:22 PM) *
If you had fun with it, was it junk? Of course not. Funny that RPG publishers are damned if they do something -- make a change, advance a plot, etc -- and damned if they don't. I'd rather be damned for doing something than not doing anything (and doing things generally makes more money (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

Perhaps there's a business model not yet discovered where we could hint what a new product will be about, how it will screw up what the fans are doing and then how much they can pay us not to release it. Hmmmmmm....

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 13 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

My favorite part of SR is the integration of combat, magic, and matrix. Yes, this is the perennial problem, but it's also where SR stands out for me from games like Heavy Gear, Exalted, or D&D. And I'm not saying just in the setting sense, because it's supported by the mechanic, especially since the matrix went wireless.

It's the 'Heist' effect, or whatever people are calling it. Sure, you can do something like that in other games, but SR has all the mechanics for it, all at once, out of the box.

I have no opinion about one publisher over another, though.

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post Apr 13 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

QUOTE (YourAdHere @ Apr 13 2010, 01:24 PM) *
[snip]
But once we finish a story, and even act on it in the next one, then other book comes out and you find out Ghostwalker was actually a fairy princess in disguise, they're just ready to kick whatever we did right out the window in favor fr "offical" story.

My solemn promise to all you denizens of Dumpshock is this: Ghostwalker is not a fairy princess in disguise. And you can quote me on that.

Jason H.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Apr 13 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #17

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Apr 13 2010, 01:12 PM) *
My solemn promise to all you denizens of Dumpshock is this: Ghostwalker is not a fairy princess in disguise. And you can quote me on that.

So much for that proposal....

+Quote Post
tete
post Apr 13 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 1,139

Piazo... They really didnt change 3.5 all that much to make Pathfinder so we would have a tweaked SR4A with shiny new books and alot of adventures.

+Quote Post
augmentin
post Apr 13 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Apr 13 2010, 02:16 PM) *
There's another thread with a poll around here somewhere with the same stuff.

Sorry! Where's the poll? What were the results?

+Quote Post
augmentin
post Apr 13 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 13 2010, 02:53 PM) *
My favorite part of SR is the integration of combat, magic, and matrix. Yes, this is the perennial problem, but it's also where SR stands out for me from games like Heavy Gear, Exalted, or D&D. And I'm not saying just in the setting sense, because it's supported by the mechanic, especially since the matrix went wireless.

It's the 'Heist' effect, or whatever people are calling it. Sure, you can do something like that in other games, but SR has all the mechanics for it, all at once, out of the box.

I have no opinion about one publisher over another, though.

Totally agree. For me, Fields of Fire was the best book we've ever head in the SR line. Great dialogue. Great plot hooks. Opportunities for grit or cyber/magic/matrix/vehicle munchkinism. It had it all. Also, the best cover of any SR book. Next best was Street Samurai Catalogue. SR2 will always have a special place in my heart, but I definitely appreciate the better layout, fixed TNs, and a wireless matrix. Keep that and bring back the whizdrek.

BTW: What's Tom Dowd up to these days?

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Apr 13 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #21

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

I'm all for CGL pulling it out and holding onto my baby. Situations/bumps aside, I've been consistently impressed with the plot, mechanic, and production quality to come out of CGL. And no, that's not a sockpuppet post or anything. I love the old FASA stuff. Hell, that's where the ball got rolling. But I'm perfectly happy with Shadowrun in the hands of CGL, and I'd rather they keep cranking out the awesome then have to cross my fingers and hope another company doesn't fuck it up.

+Quote Post
Kid Chameleon
post Apr 13 2010, 08:00 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,315

QUOTE (augmentin @ Apr 13 2010, 02:43 PM) *
Sorry! Where's the poll? What were the results?

Here. Looks like 60% of respondents are in favor of CGL retaining the license.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Apr 13 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner

QUOTE (augmentin @ Apr 13 2010, 03:50 PM) *
BTW: What's Tom Dowd up to these days?

Teaching game design at a university in Chicago.

+Quote Post
augmentin
post Apr 13 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Adam @ Apr 13 2010, 03:13 PM) *
Teaching game design at a university in Chicago.

They teach classes for that? And people say we need higher education reform...

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Apr 13 2010, 08:27 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

Between some things like the vastly improved matrix rules, the freely availible missions series, and some other things I'd be happy if catalyst can hang on.

Though I wish they'd bring in some more decker chat type stuff. I also enjoy to the metaplot. It probably isn't so relevent for the newbloods. But I think it really makes things enjoyable for the old school.

It also allows for a ramp up from gang trouble on your local street to something Epic that is handled better than other systems in my opinion.

To that end if it can't be Catalyst I'd probably like to see it go to RedBrick, as they have the Earthdawn licence.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:20 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.