IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> first gen. AR home decorations?, and somewhat effective, even.
hobgoblin
post Apr 17 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #1

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqu9NuINKbc...player_embedded

btw, the video sample that shows up around 1:43, is a 7.5 hour train journey from bergen to oslo, recorded in full by NRK and transmitted uninterrupted at the 100 year anniversary of its building.

http://nrkbeta.no/2009/12/18/bergensbanen-eng/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Apr 17 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

OK, that is officially cool!

Hobgoblin, you always find the damn coolest things! Thank you.

Now I want my cyber eyes and cyber commlink with cold SIM module (don't like getting my brain fried on BTLs)!

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 17 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

help having more then enough free time to read link collections like reddit and slashdot, tho funny enough the first place i read about this was at nrkbeta, the technical/experimental blog for NRK (Norsk RiksKringkastning, or quickly translated, norwegian national broadcaster). Yep, the same people that did the train ride.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Apr 17 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

I imagine for it to work properly they'd have to implant it into your eyeball or something, since your perspective changes depending on where you're looking, not necessarily where your body/head is located. At least from what I understood of it. And the thought of that kinda creeps me out (despite the popularity of cybereyes in the game, I'd much rather have my meat eyes). Still pretty damn cool.

+Quote Post
Error
post Apr 17 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 18,450

Intriguing and yet disturbing. At the same time, I'm not in the least bit surprised that something like this is finally showing up. I'm curious as to just how marketable an item like those Winscape windows are though. As for it really turning into the first-gen AR-like tech, that will have to wait until the price becomes so low or the tech so ubiquitous that its everywhere.

Once that happens though...

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Apr 17 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

For the system shown here, you certainly don't have to track eye motion, just head motion. Its just mapping what you would see through a "portal" onto a screen, so it will line up quite precisely if it tracks the point between your eyes. A vidcam with facial recognition software seems a more elegant (and accurate) solution to that then the big tracking device they show, surprised they didn't do that.

For a glasses version, you'd basically do the same, except when the head moves, the glasses also move, so there would be more degrees of motion to track (we'll ignore the fact that glasses can shift on your face and slide down your nose for now). Its only when you get into displaying the info on contacts, or directly to the retina, that you'd have to track eye movement (though, as mentioned above, you'd do that with glasses to, practically speaking, to correct for shifts in glass-to-pupil distances).

Error- With facial recognition software, pretty much any device with a display screen and a webcam could act this way. You already see "augmented reality" apps for the Iphone, and there's no reason your desktop PC couldn't be set up as a Winscape system if you have a webcam.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Apr 17 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 17 2010, 09:07 AM) *
I imagine for it to work properly they'd have to implant it into your eyeball or something, since your perspective changes depending on where you're looking, not necessarily where your body/head is located. At least from what I understood of it. And the thought of that kinda creeps me out (despite the popularity of cybereyes in the game, I'd much rather have my meat eyes). Still pretty damn cool.

Glasses or contacts would be great, I'm all over some wireless AR glasses+ prescription.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 17 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

That's . . that's . . ah damn it, where's my check-book, i need to buy one of those <.<

+Quote Post
Error
post Apr 17 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #9

Target

QUOTE (Mongoose @ Apr 17 2010, 08:48 AM) *
Error- With facial recognition software, pretty much any device with a display screen and a webcam could act this way. You already see "augmented reality" apps for the Iphone, and there's no reason your desktop PC couldn't be set up as a Winscape system if you have a webcam.

Oh, I realize. The Winscape system is basically just an embedded plasma display set into a wall and linked to the IPhone app. The possibilities for how else an application like this could be marketed and used are huge. Interesting times indeed.

+Quote Post
Error
post Apr 17 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #10

Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 17 2010, 09:43 AM) *
That's . . that's . . ah damn it, where's my check-book, i need to buy one of those <.<

Speaking of this point, has anyone come across a price point for this? I looked briefly but I am working on an SR campaign at the moment, so I'm not bothering (nor do I have the discretionary income to be really interested ^_^).

Unlike a few years back, the price for plasma displays aren't prohibitive anymore...so its mainly just a question of just how the units need to be wired. The app and software isn't expensive at all from what one site said, only about $10 for the soft and $2 for the app.

Even if it is in the couple of k range, even then I suppose it still wouldn't be altogether that much more than putting in new windows.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.