IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun Computers, Experimenting with some cohesive rules..
Orient
post Feb 17 2004, 05:17 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,553

After poking through this thread I thought it might not be a bad idea to crank out some rules that put all SR computers onto the MPCP-B/E/M/S system. Here's some of it - sorry about the way the tables look.

Personal Secretaries
Does not have an ASSIST converter – counts as a tortoise deck. Contains built in utility programs: Read/Write 1, Browse 1, and Comlink 1. Other basic options include a video camera, Holographic display/keyboard, speaker, scanner, printer, and impact resistant case. The MCT Satellite is analogous to the Pocket Secretary listed in SR3 p.287. All Pocket Secretaries listed have an Availability of Always and a Street Index of 1.

Model ........................ MPCP ... Bod/Sensor ... Active Memory ... Storage ... I/O ... Cost
Renraku Advantek-II ...... 1 .......... 1/1 ................. 10 ................. 30 .......... 10 ..... 1,000
MCT Satellite ................. 1 .......... 2/1 ................. 50 ................. 100 .......... 10 ..... 2,000
CMT Bodycomp ............... 2 .......... 3/2 ................. 100 .............. 200 .......... 15 ..... 3,400
Novatech Walkabout .... 3 .......... 5/4 ................. 150 ................. 250 .......... 20 .... 9,000

Upgrades
Active Memory ………. Mp x ₯15
Storage Memory ………. Mp x₯8
I/O Speed ………. I/O x ₯35
Utilities ………. (Per SR3)
Options ………. (Per Matrix p.63)

Portable Computers
Standard size for a personal computer – weighing about 1.5 kilograms and about as big as a large keyboard. These have become more common than their tortoise equivalents, the Pocket Computer listed in SR3 p.287. All Computers listed have an Availability of Always and a Street Index of 0.5.

Use the Cyberterminals listed on Matrix p.167. Prices range from ₯1,300 to ₯7,500.

Upgrades
Active Memory ………. Mp x ₯7.5
Storage Memory ………. Mp x₯6
I/O Speed ………. I/O x ₯35
Utilities ………. (Per SR3)

Desktop Computers
Basically Personal Computers that have been Breadboarded using the rules from VR2.0. They are about the same size as one of today’s desktop computers, and are not portable. Desktop computer hardware is not compatible with the hardware of smaller computers. All Computers listed have an Availability of Always and a Street Index of 0.5.

Model ........................ MPCP ... Bod/Sensor ... Active Memory ... Storage ... I/O ... Cost
MSI mConnect ............. 1 .......... 2/2 ................. 50 ................. 150 .......... 50 ..... 1,000
Microdeck BT-100 ......... 1 .......... 2/3 ................. 100 ................. 200 .......... 50 ..... 1,400
CMT Assembler ............. 2 .......... 3/3 ................. 100 ................. 300 .......... 50 ..... 1,700
Novatech R-Term .......... 2 .......... 4/2 ................. 150 ................. 400 .......... 50 ..... 2,200
Sony CTD-150 ............... 3 .......... 5/4 ................. 200 ................. 500 .......... 50 ..... 4,000
Transys Waveform ....... 3 .......... 5/4 ................. 300 ................. 700 .......... 100 ..... 5,000

Upgrades
Active Memory ………. Mp x ₯4
Storage Memory ………. Mp x₯3
I/O Speed ………. I/O x ₯35
Utilities ………. (Per SR3)

I built these using the rules on Matrix p.66, increasing memory cost slightly for Personal Secretaries and decreasing memory cost slightly for desktop computers. Afterwards I apply a discount to the cost of 25-50% (P-Secs), 50-60% (portable computers), or 60-75% (desktop computers).

My basis for this was the Low End Cyberterminals listed on Matrix p. 167. It looks like they could be built using similar rules and applying a discount to the cost of 65% (for the lower end ones) to 50% (for the higher end ones). The portable computers listed on SR3 p.287 could be the tortoise versions of these.

I haven’t scoured any of this for game-breakers, yet. I think that having ASSIST-capable Pocket Secretaries would be pretty neat, but it’d have to be prohibitively expensive to make capable, Evasion/Masking-equipped decks that small. Maybe based off of Cranial Decks, or something. Let me know if you want to see any of the other little bits I created to go along with this.

Any feedback would be appreciated…
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 17 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

pretty cool.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Feb 17 2004, 08:52 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

Overall, the rules look fine. I used those cyberterminal rules as a starting place for a "super pocket secretary" too.

QUOTE (Orient)
I haven’t scoured any of this for game-breakers, yet.  I think that having ASSIST-capable Pocket Secretaries would be pretty neat, but it’d have to be prohibitively expensive to make capable, Evasion/Masking-equipped decks that small.  Maybe based off of Cranial Decks, or something.

I'd note a couple of things regarding mini-decks:

1) It's been about 15, almost 20 years (game time) since the keyboard-sized cyberdeck was introduced.

2) Cranial decks have requirements that non-implanted items do not, like compatibility with the corrosive, aggressive, humid, wet environment of the human body, and being safe enough to operate in close proximity to the fragile human brain.

Personally, I'd just say go ahead and claim any deck built without an integral keyboard could be about the size of a hand held computer or original Game Boy. They've had time enough to shrink to that scale; maybe only large hardware components like the keyboard are holding them back. 2000Mp storage chips are triangles only a few centimeters in size. IRL, Sony's having fun with cramming a lot of functionality into its "memory stick" form factor - it has memory stick cameras, GPS units, radios, etc. So, a compact deck should be reasonable in the 2060s.

However, if you wanted to stick with the Cranial Cyberdeck derivation, I'd reverse engineer from the cost of implanted items. Items implanted in cybernetics are 4x as expensive as the non-implanted form. Ergo, the Pocket Cyberdeck is 1/4 as expensive as the Cranial Cyberdeck.

Or wait. The more I think about it, the more I recall that Cranial Decks have some component prices identical to those of regular decks, don't they? I need my books...

Any feedback would be appreciated…

Bah, I couldn't find a sound file of an electronic feedback whistle to paste in here. So much for my attempts to be a smart ass. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.