Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quick Concept Question:
Harbin
post Apr 22 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,256

Using Resonance Trodes advanced echo from unwired (p.148), would it be possible to essentially drag people you meet into the matrix when they greet you with a handshake? Or would you have to make a subdual roll for something like this?

Also, just asking the obvious here, but if someone is being held still by an ally, would you still need to roll subdual to keep in contact?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tagz
post Apr 22 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,440

Pretty sure that you wouldn't have to make any roll or the first situation. No resistance to the touch on the NPC's part, no opposed roll.

Second one... If the target is truly subdued and not struggling, then no. I would say that if the target is still struggling with the person holding him down, then yea, I would have a melee touch attack roll be made. I would see it like this: You roll to hit ONLY the target and not your buddy holding him. No hits would mean like you didn't see an opening to touch him without risking your buddy. A glitch might mean you touched your buddy instead and drag HIM into VR. The target should roll his melee defense pool but of course would get a good penalty modifier to his dice pool for being held. Maybe 2x the number of net hits over his Body attribute that were scored on the subduing attack would work. At least, that's how I would play it.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Apr 22 2010, 08:33 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

I doubt you could force someone to go with you through those means. It's a voluntary action on their part; they can choose to go with you, but I don't think you can force it upon them normally. That's closer to the characteristic that things like black IC or personafixes possess.

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Apr 22 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,166

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 22 2010, 03:33 PM) *
I doubt you could force someone to go with you through those means. It's a voluntary action on their part; they can choose to go with you, but I don't think you can force it upon them normally. That's closer to the characteristic that things like black IC or personafixes possess.

OK, I'm away from the books Doc, but I seem to remember that they specifically mentioned using it on a non-voluntary target. I'll have to look when I get back to my books.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Apr 22 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

If they did, I'm unaware of it. I don't have access to my books now, either. I was referring more to a generality than any specific ability or technology. I mean, just because you plug a cable into someone's datajack, that doesn't mean they're forced to jump into VR. I don't see why doing the same thing, just through a skinlink, would be much different. But if the specific rules state as much, I don't know why there'd be much of a question to begin with. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Apr 22 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #6

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

p. 148
"If used against the receiver’s will (for instance,
to drag a person’s mind into hot VR and nuke it with Black IC),
it requires a touch-based unarmed attack to apply the trodes, and
maintaining the grip may require a successful subduing attack (p.
152, SR4). If resisted, the technomancer must also beat their victim
in an Opposed Test, pitting Resonance + Willpower against the target’s
Intuition + Willpower. If successful, the technomancer’s touch
act as trodes until he stops or physical contact is broken."

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Apr 22 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Ah, but that's just it. You're not plugging into an interface they have to activate voluntarily. You're TOUCHING them and accessing their neural net directly (and jamming open the connection, come to think of it). You're functioning just like Black IC would in those circumstances. It's just that you've bypassed the Comlink's barrier's by default and gone straight in.

Now, in combat, you've got to succeed in a grapple and MAINTAIN it to be of much use... so it's of limited use. It's more useful against helpless targets. Touch the bound and helpless slag and hit them with a Blackout CF you've learned with a psychotropic mod. Vicious.

+Quote Post
tagz
post Apr 22 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,440

I guess this begs the question then: Should they suffer dumpshock if the TM lets go?

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Apr 22 2010, 09:29 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (tagz @ Apr 22 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I guess this begs the question then: Should they suffer dumpshock if the TM lets go?

Arguably... yes. Ick.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Apr 22 2010, 09:33 PM
Post #10

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (Harbin @ Apr 22 2010, 10:22 AM) *
Using Resonance Trodes advanced echo from unwired (p.148), would it be possible to essentially drag people you meet into the matrix when they greet you with a handshake? Or would you have to make a subdual roll for something like this?

I would do the subdual attack, but you should get the surprise and ambush bonus.

QUOTE (Harbin @ Apr 22 2010, 10:22 AM) *
Also, just asking the obvious here, but if someone is being held still by an ally, would you still need to roll subdual to keep in contact?

Your ally rolls subdual, you should roll an unarmed attack with significant bonuses.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.