IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Second Skin + Jammer = Nudity violation?
Kazuhiro
post Apr 27 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,252

Simple question. If a Second Skin suit is hit by a powerful jammer, will it be jammed?

And, at that, would it display all opaque static, or be blanked and transparent?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deathwishjoe
post Apr 27 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 17,280

From my understanding the tech doesnt work like that. The way it was presented in 3rd edition is that there are a bunch of cameras built into the suit that use the pictureto produce a skin color scheme for certain portion of the suite. So the suite is more like a 3rd flexable TV screen then anything else. since you can't see through a TV screen you wouldnt look nekked. You could however use a digital image of your nekked self and put it into the suits programming to be used to show various levels of undress. its just wouldnt be showing your actual naked body but a picture of what it looked like at one point.

+Quote Post
Minchandre
post Apr 27 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,468

If jammed, I would imagine it would just keep displaying whatever it was told to last, or revert to some sort of "I'm not in contact with your PAN right now" setting.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Apr 27 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

I keep picturing someone standing there embarrassed with a thousand little 404s scrolling continuously across their entire body.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Apr 27 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (DWC @ Apr 27 2010, 06:39 PM) *
I keep picturing someone standing there embarrassed with a thousand little 404s scrolling continuously across their entire body.

Hehe, that's great.

But yeah, I agree, I see no reason that the second skin would simply display you naked. It'll either have whatever it is supposed to be displaying in local memory (With infinite memory, why not?) or revert to some kind of 'standard' display. No company would make it far (in that product) if every time someone wearing their product dropped their commlink or walked through a jammed zone, they were suddenly rendered naked.

I think being stuck on whatever it was last set up to display is by and far the most likely result of a jamming.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Apr 27 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

Why would it? A device doesn't Stop functioning just because it isn't talking to another. You just cant tell it to do something different/change the settings without a connection. (If you were using your Second Skin suit's chameleon setting to stream network advertisements to get money, then yes, that wireless connection would go away.)

This is why you skinlink your stuff. Its 50 cred. Seriously.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 27 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Honestly people. It does this. I mean really.

+Quote Post
Kimberly
post Apr 28 2010, 02:47 AM
Post #8

Target

Group: New Member Probation
Member No.: 18,390

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 27 2010, 07:25 PM) *
Honestly people. It does this. I mean really.

I suppose that's Shadowrun's equivalent of Second Life. Would that make it Sixth Life?

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 28 2010, 02:51 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Kimberly @ Apr 27 2010, 10:47 PM) *
I suppose that's Shadowrun's equivalent of Second Life. Would that make it Sixth Life?

I suppose it would be.
Found that picture looking on Google for "missing texture." I don't think I could have lucked into a better one.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 28 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 948

Hmm

Would be fun if someone with incompetence with electronics wore the chameleon suit inside out and the cameras presented what they saw...

He would THINK he was invisible...

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Apr 28 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 28 2010, 06:09 AM) *
Hmm

Would be fun if someone with incompetence with electronics wore the chameleon suit inside out and the cameras presented what they saw...

He would THINK he was invisible...

Except if he wore it inside out, all the screens would be on the inside as well, so it'd just look like he was wearing a suit inside out.

Even if there were screens on both sides, it'd be too dark for them to see the guy's body.

I also imagine it is fairly difficult to get an armored high-tech suit to even turn inside out, much less get it on at that point.

+Quote Post
Kyrel
post Apr 28 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,583

Get real guys. You'd get this situation: http://www.garbageetc.com/wp-content/uploa...2009-125503.jpg

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 29 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #13

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

This makes me wonder what kind of a moron would link his 2nd skin into his PAN via wireless. Few clothes are so obviously meant to be used with a SkinLink.

+Quote Post
Triggvi
post Apr 29 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,360

QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 29 2010, 04:50 PM) *
This makes me wonder what kind of a moron would link his 2nd skin into his PAN via wireless. Few clothes are so obviously meant to be used with a SkinLink.

I am with you on this. Skinlink it. No wireless reception at all. "The pan you are trying to reach is no longer in service or just doesn't want to f**king talk to you, have a nice day, good bye"

I have character that would skinlink there toothbrush if they could.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 29 2010, 05:21 PM
Post #15

The King In Yellow

Actually, all my characters' gear is de-WIFI'd as a standard until noted otherwise. You'd have to be an epic moron in the Shadowrun world where hundreds of thousands were eaten by AI already to treat this as casually as RL people do, n a world where so far, not very many people have been killed by someone hacking their pacemakers (though it IS possible and I am just WAITING for this to happen).

This whole "let's make everswhing WiFi, WOOOOO!" is horribly idiotic in a world where a common awakened Pest powerbolts any radio source, anyway. Not to mention it would royally suck if your car stopped working every time there was a thunderstorm or smething.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Apr 29 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

One thing I've been wondering about the Second Skin. With the ruthenium polymer upgrade, can you use it like a slightly cheaper, less encumbering Chameleon Suit? Its 4/1 armor instead of 6/3, which means slightly less encumbrance when compared to Body, plus the side effect of looking like a james bond villianess.

Sure, sure, the situations where you'd want to use it instead aren't very common, that two-point difference can be the difference between a penalty and not for characters with low body when combined, with, say, FFBA. I didn't see anything in the description about the sensor suite which lets Chameleon suits replicate the surrounding environment - and since this seems to be the thread for it, wondering if anyone else has an opinion on the matter.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Apr 29 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,245

QUOTE (Kazuhiro @ Apr 27 2010, 05:15 PM) *
Simple question. If a Second Skin suit is hit by a powerful jammer, will it be jammed?

And, at that, would it display all opaque static, or be blanked and transparent?

I am envisioning something on the line of a full body 404 error

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 29 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #18

The King In Yellow

One thing I've been wondering about the Second Skin. With the ruthenium polymer upgrade, can you use it like a slightly cheaper, less encumbering Chameleon Suit? Its 4/1 armor instead of 6/3, which means slightly less encumbrance when compared to Body, plus the side effect of looking like a james bond villianess.

You'd need a helmet, because it doesn't cover the head. As the helmet weighs in too, it's the same encumberance.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 29 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Kazuhiro @ Apr 27 2010, 02:15 PM) *
Simple question. If a Second Skin suit is hit by a powerful jammer, will it be jammed? And, at that, would it display all opaque static, or be blanked and transparent?

Whichever is more amusing.

+Quote Post
CeeJay
post Apr 30 2010, 07:16 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

From: Nowhere near you... unless you happen to be near Cologne.
Member No.: 16,776

Uhmm, you do know that the thing is called "second skin" for a reason?
According to the description in Arsenal it isnt't leaving very much of your body up to the imagination of any observer even when fully operational. If you are afraid of being naked in public you don't wear such things in the first place.
And combining second skin with other armors should be right out. At least if you want to use the ruthenium polymer camouflage since than second skin needs to be the outermost armor layer.

-CJ

+Quote Post
Triggvi
post Apr 30 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,360

QUOTE (CeeJay @ Apr 30 2010, 07:16 AM) *
Uhmm, you do know that the thing is called "second skin" for a reason?
According to the description in Arsenal it isnt't leaving very much of your body up to the imagination of any observer even when fully operational. If you are afraid of being naked in public you don't wear such things in the first place.
And combining second skin with other armors should be right out. At least if you want to use the ruthenium polymer camouflage since than second skin needs to be the outermost armor layer.

-CJ

second skin can be used under clothing as well and it being programable help with fashion. You can make it transparent or use to simulate a stockings you name it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.