Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Image Link as Display Link, Question about Image Link
sable twilight
post Feb 18 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,948

Can an Image Link also be used as a Display Link?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Feb 18 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

Should be. In the same way you can use a VGA monitor to display text.

Michael

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Feb 18 2004, 08:07 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

Id have to say no. Theyre listed as different items, and Image link explicitly states it displays images, with no mention of text. Theres a few areas regarding cyberware interconnectivity throughout the books that reference the two seperatly as well (such as [paraphrased] you need the right device to understand data from headware memory, display link for text, image link for images, etc). Theres also some devices which allow subsystem substitutions, and when Display link is mentioned as an option Image link is not. While a TV screen can display both easily enough, the cyber versions by default include specific programming to do one or the other, not both, and the descriptions say as much. My $0.02.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Feb 18 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #4

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

I agree with Birdy. Anything a Display Link can do, an Image Link can do as well. Just my opinion.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 18 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

My interpretation has always been that the display link is essentially a crippled version of the image link. I see absolutely no reason why the display link should be unable to display text, as said previously; you don't need a special monitor to display text, the ones that handle images can do that just fine.

You may have some really old or low-end chips that don't include coding for the image link, but that's only if you want to torment your players.

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 18 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

actually, the descriptions say that the image link is a more advanced form of display link. a television screen doesn't display 'both images and text', it displays pixels. my assumption would be that the display link has fewer pixels, perhaps something along the lines of a calculator display. i mean, i don't think you understand the insane things you'd have to do in order to render a display device unable to portray text. i'd almost go so far as to say it's impossible; certainly, i can't think of any way for it to be done, or any reason why you'd want to do it.

+Quote Post
ShadowPhoenix
post Feb 18 2004, 08:57 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,568

I would say that an image link handles images, and if something drops raw text into it it would probably choke, but if the programming of the interface if designed properly, it can convert the raw text into a "picture" just like Windows fonts do for us IRL.

+Quote Post
Rev
post Feb 18 2004, 09:04 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

If you want to go off and make ruling based on reasonable capabilities of these devices all of them are utterly redundant to a datajack, which can replace or write on top of any sense and read various intentions from the brain, anyway.

If you want to stick to whats in the books then the various bits of cyberware arbitrarily gain and loose various abilities according to some hilariously complicated but undisclosed rule. So just arbitrarily choose it to be however you want it to be.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Feb 18 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

QUOTE (mfb)
i mean, i don't think you understand the insane things you'd have to do in order to render a display device unable to portray text. i'd almost go so far as to say it's impossible; certainly, i can't think of any way for it to be done, or any reason why you'd want to do it.

It's fairly easy, actually. Just don't include a usable font subsystem. It'd still be able to display images of text, of course, but text proper wouldn't work.

On the other hand, that'd be stupid.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 18 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

er, well, besides that. thinking's not my strong suite, at five in the morning.

+Quote Post
MrSandman666
post Feb 18 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,270

I think White Dwarf's point here was the programming of the two devices:
The display link is programmed to process raw text and display it on a retina display.
The image link is programmed to process RGB pixel information and display it.
If you feed a display link with RGB pixels it's going to produce gibberish. Like trying to open a bitmap file with wordpad.
On the other hand, feeding raw text into the image link when it is expecting raw pixel data, it will either return an error or some really weird nonsense. Like opening a text file with Paint.

It really comes down to how you see it. If the image link is really an advanced display link with the added capability to display images in addition to text, then you can use it for both. If they are developed seperately, then you can not.

I personaly have always handled it such that an image link can handle both, mainly because I found it a bit nonsensical to have two displays implanted simultaneously. Also, considering that it specificaly states that the image link is an advanced version of the display link and that the image link costs twice as much essence and 1.6 times as much money as the display link it would make sense to me.
However, in Man and Machine on page 46 is stated:

Just because a cyberware device is linked to a datajack or router (and thus the brain) doesn't mean the data it produces is "readable" by the brain; in most cases it isn't. Depending on the data format, it must be channeled through a display link (text), image link (images), knowsoft link (skillsoft), ear recorder (sound), simrig (simsense) or some other device to be understandable.

This pretty much implies that you need a seperate device for each. However, one could also interpret it differently by saying that they also include "some other device". This could mean that you are not limited to a display link for text but could also use an image link. After all, you don't have to use an ear recorder to playback sound. You can as well use subdermal speakers.

I think this matter is pretty unclear and that it's up to the GM.

+Quote Post
sable twilight
post Feb 18 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

So this brings up a few other questions in my mind. Would a rigger with VCR, jacked into a remote control deck equipped with am intercom, have to have any extra cyberware to carrying on a conversation with some one speaking to said rigger through the intercom? Or does the VCR handle all of that? Could the VCR process, handle, and display the information normally sent to image and display links while rigged? What about Smartguns? If a person is using their smartgun while rigged, would they still need the limted simsense or would they only need the processor? And finally, would it be possible to have both smartgun processors installed and get the benefits from either one?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 18 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

yes, a rigger jacked into his deck can communicate via the intercom. that's what it's for.

in my game, yes, a VCR could handle the duties of an image link. as campbell pointed out, the display link requires some kind of font processor.

in my game, again, a VCR should be able to handle the simrig duties required by a smartlink.

why in the world would someone need both a smartlink processor and a smartlink-2 processor? everything the sl-1 can do, the sl-2 can do.

+Quote Post
sable twilight
post Feb 18 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

I thought you could not handle a sm1 with a sm2, but I could be wrong. I'll doublecheck M&M.

edit:
Yep, M&M 31
"Smarklink-2 systems only work with guns that are smartlink-2-equipped."
Guess they never heard of backwards compatability.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Feb 18 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

No, they are backwards compatable.

I'm sure of it.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 18 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

It's clearly stated both that they are and are not backwards compatible.

~J

+Quote Post
sable twilight
post Feb 18 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

I can find where it says smartgun II is not backwards compatable, but I cannot find where it says it is.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Feb 19 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #18

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

In 2nd edition, Smartlink-2 was backward compatible with Smartlink-1.
In 3rd edition, they were not compatible until changed by an errata for the 4th printing of M&M. See MM Errata (see p. 31).

There is no longer any reason to purchase both Smartlink-1 and Smartlink-2 processors for the same character.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Feb 19 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Yeah, I was right for once! :spin:

+Quote Post
SeventhSon
post Feb 19 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 6,048

The guys at Ares just want you to buy new guns for your just installed SM-2 :D
More :nuyen: :nuyen: :nuyen: for the gun makers, and what are ya gonna do, write your congressman?

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Feb 19 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #21

Running Target

If your congressman is one of Ares bought men, just maybe.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Feb 19 2004, 02:37 AM
Post #22

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Bah, Ares is modelled on the Microsoft product model.

-Siege

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:30 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.